Help! Gace art ed (109 and 110) test

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by ArtEd, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ArtEd

ArtEd Rookie

Jan 3, 2015

Hello everyone I am new on this site. I have my B.A in Art and I'm now working as a long term sub teaching art in an elementary school in Georgia. They love me and want to keep me but I must first pass the Gace art ed test. I have taken this test more then 10 times and still have failed!! The last time I took it my score was in the 200 range which we know it must be (220 passing). So I felt so close but then a few months ago they have completely change the test and everything is online now. Long story short it is totally different as far as the information I learned in college and all of my study guides. I've done horrible on this new version!! I'm so lost because everything is so dated!! My question is: is there anybody in Georgia who have taking the new online Art Ed 109, 110 in the past couple of months that can help me? Or can anybody tell me some study guides to get? Anything will be greatly appreciated!! I have to past this test (Feb 7) in order to provide for my family and make more money!! Also I can't get my Masters without passing the gace!! Please somebody help!!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

Georgia switched from Pearson tests, which included fairly thoughtful constructed response questions, to an ETS series (ETS runs Praxis). Your official score report should give some idea of the domains on each subtest in which you came up short: those would be a very good place to start.

Where do you think you're coming up short?

4. ArtEd

ArtEd Rookie

Jan 3, 2015

Well on test 109 is mostly techniques, media, and etc I feel comfortable with most of this but my last score was 212! 8 point from passing!! I did bad in the digital image section because we never covered that at my university. Test 110 I made a score of 166 back to back and I never scored that low on the older test! They do show you a break down on what you don't know but I don't know how to study these ares because it seems so much!! For ex. It shows that in "Art In Context" I got 9 out of 28 right!! Most of it is history of art!! Sub area: 1)Demonstrate a basic understanding of the history if western art from antiquity through the 19th century. 2)Demonstrates a basic understanding of the history of modern and contemporary art. 3) Understanding the individual and collaborative processes if art criticism and critique 4)Understanding the major philosophies of art and aesthetics and their role in art criticism. I'm do lost and this will be my fourth time taking this new test!! I'm so lost!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

Sounds like you've got some work to do. What have you learned about digital art since you last took the test? There's a wide, wide Internet out there that can help you with what you need. I might recommend starting with the test standards, or competencies, or whatever - I mean the list that you can view on the GACE Web site, that lists what each test can test. Look through it: when you find a term that you can't define and use in a sentence confidently enough to fool a fellow art teacher, you need to look it up and practice with it until you can use it that way. And if the explanation that you find contains any terms you can't define or use confidently, you then look those up, and so on.

Wikipedia is your friend here. So is the Web site of Georgia's state association of art teachers, which probably either has or links to a good glossary of art terms. The more confident you are in using the technical terminology of art (and to a lesser extent of art teaching), the better off you'll be.

For the record, the point of a university education isn't to teach a person facts. It's to teach a person how to learn.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

Where are the tests administered? Through a University? You may be able to find study groups or a tutor. Then I would look at concentrating on 3-4 areas to study.

Also someone in an art ed program might be able to recommend books you could read.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

GACE is Georgia's equivalent of NYSTCE, Securis: tests might be given at universities, though I think these days ETS, like Pearson, tends to use its own test centers (they're called Prometric, if I recall).

Finding a study group might be a very good idea for this test taker, if there's still time before the test date.

8. ArtEd

ArtEd Rookie

Jan 3, 2015

Thanks so much guys!! Great advice!! But my problem is mostly the history part! I'm aware of art terminology. My problem is when they ask about an artist that I never heard of before. Example...they may ask what is the name of a artist of a certain painting or what does two artist have in common that I never heard of!! I'm open for any web sites that would help me!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

What sites have you found on your own, ArtEd?

10. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

I apologize if this seems repetitive but study is your only option. There's no magic bullet here. Web search the 100 most important works of art and make some note cards with the artist and the artwork's contextual importance. Maybe web search the top 200. If you have Powerpoint, I'd make myself a slide show with the image, artist, and importance.

I did some searches to see what pops up and you'd likely need to break your searches into Ancient, Medieval, Renaissance, Renaissance to Modern (There are a lot of isms and movements between Renaissance and Modern), Post Modern.

Here's a link. http://www.all-art.org/history12.html

11. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 3, 2015

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2015

"Art terminology" definitely includes important artists and also periods or movements in art. A good art history text, with proper illustrations, is likely to help you with the test and with your teaching. The granddaddy of all art-history books is probably still Jansen's History of Art, but Barnes & Noble might have something a little less daunting - perhaps even in the bargain section.

For secondary-level subject-matter tests for teachers, Advanced Placement test materials and practice questions can be useful. You might have a look at Khan Academy's AP Art History pages.

13. ArtEd

ArtEd Rookie

Jan 4, 2015

I have found several sites, bought the gace study guide and also purchased all the study material offered on the official gace site. I have even spoken with the people over the web site! Remind you I have took this test several times and always come up short. Like I said before since they have changed the test all study material is dated!! I was told told it would be a year before they make a study guide focusing on the new test. I graduated years ago I have even asked the help of my old Art professors and they can't get info on the new test. It's hard to explain unless you actually took the new test.

14. ArtEd

ArtEd Rookie

Jan 4, 2015

that Khan site has great info on it thanks so much!! i never would have found this on my own!!

15. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jan 6, 2015

I have not taken that test but I've heard these books are helpful for studying for state exams
    The Art Teachers Book of Lists
    The Annotated Mona Lisa

I know how you feel, many things on my state test were things I never learned about in college. Good luck!