Help from homeowners and gardeners! I did something silly :/

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LMichele, Mar 23, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Mar 23, 2014

Help from homeowners and gardeners! I did something silly :/ (chia seeds down the sin

I have gotten really into eating chia seeds for their health benefits. Yesterday I put some into my water bottle that I carry around with me throughout the day to drink. I came home late & had some water & seeds left in my water bottle. I dumped it down the trainer figuring the strainer would catch them & I could throw then away.

The holes on the strainer were bigger than I remembered and the seeds went down the drain :( I was in a panic all night googling what could happen, and apparently they can grow!

How can I prevent this? I'm assuming the chemicals in Drano would kill whatever seeds might still be in the drain? I was thinking of going to pick some up today.

TIA.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

They should just wash down....run some hot water with bleach through if you are worried about sprouts...you should be fine. Is your sink clogging as a result? Trust me, I've washed down food scraps bigger than chia seeds with no problem.:woot:

4. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Mar 23, 2014

It's not clogging yet, but I'm worried about them growing in the drain and pipes. I was up all night googling this, apparently it can happen haha

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Drano should work, but I'd seriously not worry about this.

6. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Mar 23, 2014

Thanks Cza. I may buy a bottle today just as a precaution. (And next time will dump my water bottle outdoors!)

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Sounds like a plan! Brings new dimension to those crazy chia pet things! Evidently those buggers can grow anywhere!

8. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Mar 23, 2014

That's what I'm seeing! Although I've also read that ones for eating may be treated for longer shelf life & thus not good for sprouting. Also, I read a post somewhere that someone tried to sprout the brand I bought & it didn't work. So my fingers are crossed my mom won't have a chia per growing out of her sink!

They're so incredibly beneficial to health, though. So I will definitely keep eating them.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2014

Since there is no light in your pipes, the seeds won't grow.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Seeds generally don't need light to sprout...sprouts plus chia's gooey nature when moist could be enough to cause some concern....while I might not worry about one leak of seeds into a drain, its probably not great to make it a habit.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2014

Bleach will kill the seeds and is less harsh than Draino.

12. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Mar 23, 2014

I've been running hot water down the drain every so often throughout the day. No issues yet, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

13. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I've probably thrown chia seeds down the drain every day for about 3 months - either at work or at home. I never considered that they would grow.