help for students who are easily distracted

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by studentteacher7, Mar 29, 2006.

1. studentteacher7

studentteacher7 Rookie

Mar 29, 2006

Hi I'm at student teacher that is in a kindergarten one day a week. When I am there, they do an activity called guided reading. The students are divided into four groups depending on their level. In each group they read a story. First, they take a picture walk making predictions of what the story will be about, then read the story together, then each student reads a page, next each child reads the story, and then discuss the story. The group I work with is with the lower level students. There is one student in my group who just started at the school about a month ago. Beforehand, he was in a school at Texas. When working in the group, he loses focus on what we are discussing, and is easily distracted. He fumbles with the pages, turns the book upside down, and when other students are reading he doesn't pay attention. I give him warnings saying that i will move his name to the light (which loses time away from worktime) and even after I move his name he will stop for a little bit, then continue on those behaviors. Aside from guided reading, when we are on the carpet doing a large group activity, he will lay down, and I or the teacher will remind to sit on his bottom or his name will go under the sad face (which means they don't earn a smiley for that activity). Even after we move his name, he will still lay down and not pay attention. Since this a full day kindergarten, perhaps he is not physically and developmentally ready for a full day of school. Any other ideas, I would gladly apprecitate them!

3. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Mar 30, 2006

This may sound silly for Kindergarten but some classes still do this, show-n-tell? Offer show-n-tell and talk with his parents and encourage him to bring things in. Once he tells about his object and it is the next childs turn remind him they gave him his special time now it is theirs. Let him know in order to have his special time he needs to give others theirs. May be have a few children before him and slowly increase it day to day till he can sit still and attentive. He needs to be taught to take turns and respect for others. He may not have went to preschool and or may be an only child and has never had to share or played games to develop these skills. I would sit close to him all the time if you could to keep on track. :) Good luck

4. studentteacher7

studentteacher7 Rookie

Apr 4, 2006

I never thought of that, thank you!