help for students who are easily distracted

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by studentteacher7, Mar 29, 2006.

1. studentteacher7

studentteacher7 Rookie

Mar 29, 2006

Hi I'm at student teacher that is in a kindergarten one day a week. When I am there, they do an activity called guided reading. The students are divided into four groups depending on their level. In each group they read a story. First, they take a picture walk making predictions of what the story will be about, then read the story together, then each student reads a page, next each child reads the story, and then discuss the story. The group I work with is with the lower level students. There is one student in my group who just started at the school about a month ago. Beforehand, he was in a school at Texas. When working in the group, he loses focus on what we are discussing, and is easily distracted. He fumbles with the pages, turns the book upside down, and when other students are reading he doesn't pay attention. I give him warnings saying that i will move his name to the light (which loses time away from worktime) and even after I move his name he will stop for a little bit, then continue on those behaviors. Aside from guided reading, when we are on the carpet doing a large group activity, he will lay down, and I or the teacher will remind to sit on his bottom or his name will go under the sad face (which means they don't earn a smiley for that activity). Even after we move his name, he will still lay down and not pay attention. Since this a full day kindergarten, perhaps he is not physically and developmentally ready for a full day of school. Any other ideas, I would gladly apprecitate them!

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 30, 2006

Hi there :angel:

I am a first grade teacher and also have a student who is very easily distracted during our guided reading time.

Does the child require constant 1-on-1 assistance during non-guided reading time (ex. coloring, seat work, etc?) Does he lose interest in things that are going on after guided reading? Does he wander the classroom a lot?

You may want to see if the child has had his hearing/vision checked recently. If those come back clear and all is well in that department, you may want to see if he has been tested for a learning disability (auditory processing, add, etc). I am of course not saying that he has one, but it is always good to rule these things out.

A child in my class does not belong in a classroom of 28, which I had pointed out to the administration since October, and he has suffered and entire year due to the fact that he can not focus without my 1-on-1 guidance.

I know how you feel and I know it can be VERY frustrating.

Let me know how it goes.

:love:

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2006

wow, i don't really have any advice. but just encouragement. i hope that it does work out for you and the little boy as well! i friend of mine has a son. he had gone deaf just about in one ear and nobody knew it. he compensated by shifting to his left to put the left ear forward to hear. he even compensated during the hearing test in kindergarden. if he didn't hear anything with his left, he'd raise his right hand. he know has a hearing aid and is doing exceptionally well in school. just stick with the poor kid!

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2006

Is he bored? This happend to my hubby. His teacher sent him out for testing because she thought he was mentally retarded. Come to find out he was extremely bored because he already knew the things the teacher was doing. Just a thought. Is he in the bottom group because he's new and they didn't know where to put him to start, or is he really "low"?

If he is low, then it seems like he needs some better motivators. To be honest, if there isn't a serious consequence, then some kids just don't care. What's really the biggie with having his name moved to lose some worktime? Probably isn't a big deal to him. Some kids are motivated by those small things, others just are not. He needs more motivation.

On a similar note, I have one child who is very easily distracted as well. It's not because she's bored, but she just looses focus. She'd rather look at what others are doing than concentrate on what she's suppose to be doing. She doesn't try things, she's pretty lazy. I am constantly reminding her to do what she's suppose to be doing. I have a feeling she will need that constant 1 on 1 in school when she goes because I remind her very often.

6. studentteacher7

studentteacher7 Rookie

Apr 4, 2006

Thank you all so much for your input!

7. schoolpsych001

schoolpsych001 Rookie

Apr 4, 2006

It sounds like at the moment you are really only using negative techniques to control the behavior. It may be more successful if you stay away from all the warning and try to find that one moment when he is doing the right thing. At that time you should praise him in front of the group..."I really like the way --- is (insert positive behavior)." Also, a simple star chart with a list a possible rewards can really work without much effort. Just think positive.

8. jasonA

jasonA New Member

Apr 24, 2006

Distraction exercises

There are exercises for improving distraction in the classroom in the book BEING IN CONTROL. If you go to the book at amazon.com about half the exercises are there in the look inside the book and photo section.