HELP! ESL endorsement in NJ

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsX, Aug 8, 2008.

1. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 8, 2008

I've been thinking about getting my ESL endorsement. I live in NJ and the licensing website is about anything BUT helpful! Does anyone here live in NJ and have their ESL endorsement?

I already have my provisional (and soon to be standard) certification for elementary teaching - It SEEMS that I can apply for a CE for this endorsement but I don't understand what happens after that? Do i have to go back and get a second masters in ESL? Or can I get the endorsement in a simpler (and cheaper!) way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

3. MsX

MsX Companion

Aug 8, 2008

anyone? :)

4. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Aug 9, 2008

I live in NJ and I have my CE in ESL. Getting the CE was very straightforward, but now I too am pretty confused as to what is expected of me now to get my standard. I know that you have 5 years to get it once you begin teaching ESL. I found this program that Rutgers offers that allows you to complete both initial certification and your masters certification (if you want) at the same time. Rowan University offers something similar, and I believe it's all online. But Rowan's programs looks like it's 3 credits less than Rutgers? Haha, PM and we'll see if we can figure it out together!