Help Drama teacher!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by katerina03, Sep 27, 2008.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 27, 2008

I am a middle school English teacher teaching drama (90 min blocks, every other day). I am really struggling. I like when the kids are free to write and perform a skit. That takes up the whole block. But surely they can't do this each time we meet. So, what should they class period be like? Any suggestions? My classes have app. 24 kids in each class. Many of them are immature and "class clowns". Help!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 27, 2008

My site has a few ideas for drama. It's in the signature.

I think if I were you I would be introducing them to different kinds of presenting. They could do tableaux, improvisation, monologues, scenes and so forth.

Do you have books on teaching drama? Have you taken classes and workshops? If not, see if the college has an evening drama class and take it! Just taking a drama class will help if you haven't a lot of experience in theatre. (I have an English degree and was like 3 credits from a double major in Theatre, so I know they are similar but OH SO DIFFERENT!)

I model my drama classes exactly like the ones I took in college.

Begin with warm ups (voice and body) go into a lesson, partner and try activities and share at the end with a final cool down.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2008

My first degree is in drama - why not introduce them to some of the history of theatre and some of the different genres? Let them construct masks and do some Greek drama. Introduce them to the Bard - the Folger Shakespeare Library's web site has a great many resources for teachers. Explore all the different jobs that go into staging a play - actors, directors, set designers, costumers, etc. With a 90-minute block, you should be able to get into some interesting projects.

5. Sheba

Sheba Companion

Sep 28, 2008

See if you can getting them working on something they can present at a school assembly or event. My drama class is totally talentless this year but I was able to get them trying a lot harder when they knew the whole school would be watching their presentations, and that they could modify their presentations as they wished.

Warm-up games are essential, too. Charades is by far the easiest way to get them learning how to use their bodies to communicate.