Help! Do not know letters or numbers at all!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SchoolRocks, Sep 26, 2007.

1. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Sep 26, 2007

HI! I am blessed in the fact that most of my class is right on target, but I have 2 kids who absolutely have no clue! It is funny that they are the only two who did not go to preschool- coincidence?! Think not! I have no clue what to do! I find myself walking them through EVERYTHING, which is not fair to my other kids! Any ideas? :anyone:

3. thompsonk

thompsonk Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

I consider that bad parenting...as a mom who didn't send her kids to preschool, I would hope we aren't all viewed as bad parents, lol.

4. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Sep 27, 2007

No I'm sorry that does sound bad! In all reality I think parents are soooo important in development! Unfortunately sometimes we do not recognize that and think it is the job of school to teach everything. You are right- that(parents) is the key! All I meant was that with home backgrounds like theirs that preschool would have helped:unsure: Sorry and I definitely do not think that!:sorry:

5. thompsonk

thompsonk Rookie

Sep 27, 2007

lol, wasn't busting your chops :)

I totally agree that those kids were ill prepared...and that goes back to the parents.

So often parents, my friends included, think their child's education is completely the teacher's responsibility and complain if their kids aren't doing well. But, god forbid those same parents take time out of their schedules to work with their kids.

And, from what I have seen....the majority of the preschools around here are glorified baby sitters, with unqualified teachers.

6. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 27, 2007

Do you have any extra help they can get at school to catch them up? Such as Title I? Last year I had a student like that, and with the help of Title I, by the end of the year he was flying! It was from lack of exposure befrehand, and once he had been exposed to it all, he took off!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2007

Not all parents who don't send their children to preschool are bad. I know kiddos out there that didn't go to preschool that knew more than those that did. It's all in how the parents raise them, and how much the parents are willing to work with their child. It's sad that some parents don't take a more active role in their child's education. Hello, you're setting them up for the future..wouldn't you want you child to have the best start possible?!? Oh well, I will get off my little :soapbox: for now. :)

8. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Sep 27, 2007

No- I work at a private school that sends me on my own! I actually feel alone in the area of help- Good thing I received a great education prior! But you did give me an idea- I could ask some of the parents (who volunteered to help anywhere) to come in and work with them! Would that cross any lines? These parents did not volunteer and I don't want parents to "start talking"??:rolleyes:

9. smalltowngal

Sep 27, 2007

I think as long as you lay out some ground rules for the parents volunteering then it shouldn't be a problem. I know in our school district parents volunteer at school to do a multitude of things.

10. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Sep 27, 2007

Maybe they are unaware of how low their children are. I would conference with them and show them a sample of their kids work and the show them an average students work so that they can compare it. Just some advice from experience, don't let them see the name of the kid who you are comparing their child to. Maybe if they saw and heard from you that their kids are behind they would enroll the child in some tutoring program or something to assist them in catching up.

11. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Sep 27, 2007

Hi! There will be students who have not had the privilege of someone helping them with these simple skills. Yes, many children will not have gone to daycare, preschool or even Sunday school. These children will also have difficulty with social skills. It begins with parents spending time with them...it is sad when they don't. However, last year I had 3 kinders who knew nothing. They could not even right their names or properly hold a pencil. So when my students went to leveled reading groups (in class), I grouped these kids together. We started with the basics. Don't worry that they are not with the others. They aren't. So... you start at the beginning with them. Our school has Title 1 teacher assistants. The assistant came to my room during reading groups. My assistant was with another group. Do you have people to come in and help? I planned the lessons and skills for each group. The TA's followed my plans and added things as they needed. The children work at their level. They cannot be rushed or they will not succeed. I am very happy to say that all 3 were reading, writing, and knew their letters and alphabet by the end of the year. One of them came back the this year to read to my class. We were all very proud of their hard work and dedication. Also, one of the boys received extra help in the afternoon with a homework tutor. She used the **** and Jane series books to help with his high frequency words. Now, these students were not on first grade level or higher at the end of the kinder year but they learned! This year their teachers are commenting how well prepared my students are for first grade. Those children are going to catch up. Anyway.....sorry I got off on a rant. To me this is what teaching is about. Not test scores. But children overcoming and proving that they can learn at their pace with patience and guidance from people who care. I hope you have someone who can come in and help. Check with your administration, reading teacher or even counselor to see if their are any grandparent volunteers who can come in and help your students with these needs. The same goes for math. Have a basket ready for them to use with activities. Talk with their parents, send home a math bag or a literacy bag to do with their child and return. Involve everyone you can to help them. Also, other class activiites, differentiate the assignment for these kids. It can be along the same lines as the others but at a level at which they can be successful. Best of Luck! :)

12. smalltowngal

Sep 27, 2007

Well said WannaTeach!!

13. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Oct 2, 2007

Yup.. I would say that is what differentiation is all about. I have kids this year in the same position. I have one that knows no numbers, not even 1! and some with no letters. Mine is not to blame, nor judge... you never know what their home life is like. To blame parents for something that isn't going to change is fruitless. My job is to teach - at whatever level they are at. To lump kids and teach all the same way is an injustice to them anyway. I think that creating a small group would be a great idea!

14. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Do you have a computer or leap pads? I have found that my low kids really benefit from working on the leap pads.

15. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2007

I teach in a low income area and MOST of my Kindergartners didn't go to preschool. They cant afford it. A few who went to Head Start know all the numbers, colors, letters, shapes, etc.
    And there are some whose parents taught them things. But a high number of them I am helping them hold the pencil, etc.
    Just give those who are through with their work other challenging activities to do while you help these students catch up. :)

16. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Oct 3, 2007

Dumb question...:eek: I would love to do leveled reading groups, but haven't done it or seen it done. Do you need an adult for each group? Is it easy to tell parent volunteers how to do it, and let them go with it? :help:

17. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Oct 4, 2007

Thanks for all your input. YOu are all so helpful:blush: The teachers at my school think that these 2 kids should be pulled from Kinder. and put in preschool. My gut does say that EVERY child is different and it is my job to help them! But I have to admit it is hard. We have such a scripted reading curriculum in kindergarten. that these kids are being left behind! I work with them several times a day and I do hope that they level out and begin to catch up. Our curriculum consists of 2 worksheets a day (front and back). This is the forth week and we are looking at initial, medial, and final sounds. This week we looked at initial and medial /a/. THis may be normal at this age nowadays, but it makes it so hard to reach the different leveled kids. How do you all handle this?

18. CityESLTeacher

CityESLTeacher Rookie

Oct 4, 2007

Woah that sounds like a tough kindergarten curriculum. What do you use? Most of my kids didn't go to preschool, but our curriculum, while quite scripted, is not that crazy. I didn't think worksheets were still in vogue for kinder!
    You must have your work cut out for you...

19. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Oct 4, 2007

We have Houghton Mifflin- not sure which version- I'll have to look tomorrow. I feel very restricted by this. I try to really break up the worksheets as well as give the kids tons of hands on learning- arts, magnetic letters, etc. But when I have 2 double sided worksheets a day plus 2 double sided worksheets for math it is hard. But to be honest I am glad I have this opportunity to add my touch as oppose to teaching strictly from the worksheets. Sorry I am venting now:blush:

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

We use Houghton Mifflin as well. When did your school year start? We began Sept 4th. We have the same two double sided worksheets a day for english and math. We are still reviewing the alphabet (one letter a day) in Language, and are doing graphing in Math. They seem to enjoy it. They get to go to play centers or outside play when they are through. I also add in lots of music and movement, art, and stories. It's not that bad.