help differentiating between mood and tone

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sumnerfan, Jul 20, 2008.

1. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

My students always have trouble differentiating between mood and tone in a piece of writing. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clarify these concepts for my students?

Thanks.

3. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

Tone = Style or Manner of expression in speech or writing . Examples: Formal , Informal , Serious , Humorous , Amused , Angry ,Playful , Neutral , Satirical , Playful , Conciliatory , Gloomy , Sad ,Resigned , Supercilious ( Showing contemptuous indifference ), Cheerful , Ironic , Clear , Detailed , Imploring , Monotonous , Suspicious, Pompous, Witty ( Full of humor ) , matter-of-fact

Mood = Atmosphere , State of mind . Examples: Fictional , Imaginary , Fanciful , Idealistic , Romantic , Realistic,
    Optimistic , Pessimistic , Gloomy , Melancholic , Mournful ,
    Sorrowful…...

I always ask students what it means when people say they are moody. What are moods? How do they affect people? Then I ask, "Have you ever heard your parents tell you, 'Don't take that tone of voice with me!'" What does that mean? What kinds of tones do you use when you speak?

Tone and mood are similar in speech and in text. The tone you use in speech affects your (and others') mood. The tone(s) with which you write affect the mood of the writing.

I also like to bring in various Young Adult Literature. I will read excerpts from books and ask the students to determine the mood of the passage. Why? Then I was them to determine the tone in which the passage is written. How did they decide the tone (what words or writing strategies did the author use to create the mood and tone)?

When you can get students to relate the voice of writing to their own physical voices, I find that it's easier to teach tone and mood.

I hope this made sense!

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

Very simplistically, tone is attributed to the author - what he/she "sounds like;" mood is experienced by the reader - what we "feel like."

You might take a look at the book Voice Lessons - there are two, one for HS and one more geared to college - for good examples of diction, detail, imagery, syntax, and tone.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

I try to reinforce the idea as Mrs. K presented in her post ... I help them remember with mood (mOOOOOd) and you (yOOOOOu), same sound.

6. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jul 21, 2008

I don't know how this will translate without the visual, but here goes!
    I draw a simple graphic for my kids. I divide a rectangle in half diagonally. In one half, I draw a pencil and write "tone." In the other half, I draw the sun and a rain cloud and write "mood." Then we talk about how the pencil represents the author and what he/she has to say about the topic, and how the sun and rain represent how the writing makes the reader feel.

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 22, 2008

Thanks! Those are great ideas. I really appreciate all the tips and I will definitely be using some of them. I think the graphic and emphasizing the ooooos will really help.

8. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jul 23, 2008

I teach tone in writing first, then move that skill over to reading. I find students can understand mood well enough, but tone is just easier when they analyze their own tone first.

9. dovian

dovian Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

I tell them that mood is how the piece makes you feel, whereas tone is the author's attitude. It seems to work.

10. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

ok, not the best by far but just to throw it out there-(please don't laugh)
    with my intensive reading students I tell them to remember that mood and reader both have a D and tone and author both have an E!
    So mood is how the reader feels and tone is how the author feels.
    These are level 1 and 2 kids so I really need to simplify things.

11. Beth561

Beth561 Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Wow, this is a wonderful thought provoking way to instill knowledge!:clap:
    Unfortunately it is way above my students:(

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

I think Mrs. Dub is on to something when she said that she has them work with tone first in their own writing. Once they figure out how they can control their tone, it might be easier for them to see it in others' writings. You could give them a short prompt and have them address it in 2 or 3 different tones.

13. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Aug 8, 2008

For my 7th graders, I have them link the word with its definition by certain letters in the words tone and mood.

Tone=the author's attitude (tone, author, attitude all have T's)

Mood=the emotional feel of the piece (EMOtional, MOod have the MO in common. Also since this is jr high, we define what it means to be Emo and how that links to mood.)

I teach tone and mood with literature all year, but then as a fun activity right before the state test, we spend a day listening to lots of music and determining the tone/mood of each. I pre-select the music of course. Last year's 7th graders were really into Journey for some reason. So I inculded Don't Stop Believin' on the CD. It's quite a fun day. About half sing along, and during Journey, they were up dancing and singing into highlighters and pencils.

14. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Oct 16, 2011

Okay, before reading these, I came up with 'me' and 'mood' both begin with M. And then you link that with 'the reader is me' / mood is what the reader feels (grammatically incorrect, however).