Help dealing with extremely disruptive behavior

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by TexFW1, Sep 15, 2008.

1. TexFW1

TexFW1 Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

I am a 1st year teacher and I need help dealing with a disruptive child. He looks for attention from the entire class. For instance today he was extremely loud, would not quiet down for anything and completely kept the other students from learning. He hits, touches and generally anoys the other student to the point that the other parents are starting to complain. I have tried interventions, including color change, think about it time out, positive praise whenever he is caught being good and talks with mom. He knocks over shelves, threatens to pull out or cut cords. I love him and I know there must be a reason for his behavior but I am at a loss as to how to deal with the behavior while keeping the other students and him safe and learning. I talked to mom who says he behaves the same way at home. We are in the 4th week of school and his behavior is worse than at the beginning and now some of the other students are beginning to act the same way.

Help please!!

Did I mention that this is a kindergarten class???

At close to my wits end.

3. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Does your school have an intervention /student support team? I would bring it up to them and see if any testing is recommended. The child may be experiencing language difficulties, sensory issues and other reason's why they are acting out. You also may set up a plan with the mom to have them on a sticker chart and when they bring home so many " green" days they can get a prize from home and at school. Something small such as choice of a video rental etc. I have had MANY difficult children and I know how frustrating even one can be. have had years when I have had 7 severely disruptive violent children in kindergarten. It is hard. Keep giving the praise and do not give attention to the bad unless it is dangerous. You may find that they will seek out the attention that gets them attention eventually. But I would contact the student support person and explain what is happening to get any testing rolling.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2008

I have a similar student this year and I'm almost at my wit's end. And it's my 9th year teaching!

Document everything you can. I keep a little notebook and jot down notes on his behavior as often as I can. There should be individuals at your school who can help. There is usually a process to follow (which probably starts with documentation and noting any interventions).

5. TexFW1

TexFW1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2008

Thank you both. I have talked to my team. For some reason we have severe behavior issues in every Kinder class this year. This week we combined all four classes for a reward movie for those that kept green all week. The students who had behavior issues went into one room with two teachers and an aid to work on papers. It went well until we got back to my class and some students were talking about the movie. My child became angry because he did not get to go and started kicking chairs. Yesterday he bit another student and kicked one boy in the private area. He was removed from class and I talked to mom after school. She patted him on the cheek and said, why did you do that honey? His reply, they laughed at me. (No one did). I told her that we had to get this behavior under control. She just said I know. I have tried splitting his day in half and giving a star for either or both good halves. I think I will try some kind of hourly report card with a star for each hour that is good and one filled card worth a prize. What do you think about that?

6. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 20, 2008

Yes, absolutely make a behavior chart. I would make a chart for each section of your day, with pictures corresponding to each time period (i.e meeting, writing workshop, recess....), so he can understand it. I would put a smiley face, neutral face, or a frown face in each section. If it's a frown face, jot a note about why and make a copy to send home each day. (and have a key to tell mom what each face represents: smile= excellent behavior; neutral= acceptable behavior; Frown= unacceptable behavior)