HELP! Cover Letter Stress!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ChriCres, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I've applied for a few positions and haven't heard anything.... It’s getting to the end here, we start September 5th. A school posted today for a leave replacement. I think my cover letter might be my problem; I tried to work with it some more today. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

Dear ____________,

I am a current graduate student of ________. This May I received my Master of Arts in Elementary Education. I am very interested in applying for the elementary leave replacement position in your school district.

I recently completed my student teaching requirements at ___________. Here I was able to work with exceptional mentors that helped me prepare for my future career in education. During my time at ________I was learning the importance of adjusting lesson plans to fit the needs of my students. In the sixth grade I used cooperative learning, read alouds and hands-on class experiments to implement a math and science curriculum. My planning and preparations skills, along with my creativity and interactions with students, were tested and developed. This experience gave me the confidence to tackle any challenge that comes my way. With my future students I hope to be able to provide them with the knowledge, respect and self-esteem they will need to become valuable citizens in our community. My goal similar to the _______________ is to provide my students with a nurturing environment where they are encouraged to take risks in order to reach their goals and dreams.

For the past year and half, I have been a substitute teacher for the _______________. Substituting has been a valuable experience for me, as I enjoy the spontaneity and creativity inherent with a new class. Every day is an opportunity for me to increase my teaching experience and confidence.

My dedication and passion for working with children has led me into the educational field and I look forward to a wonderful teaching career. In advance, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to view my resume. You may contact me at the above phone number or email address.

Sincerely,

3. ELAteacher

ELAteacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Your cover letter reads like a resume. You don't have to run down your list of qualifications, including educational background, in the cover letter. Let your resume speak for itself. Instead, your cover letter should give administrators an idea of your philosophy of education (for example, "It is my belief that every child has the both the right and the ability to learn.")

Looking at your letter, I would cut out the first paragraph entirely. Get right to the point, talk about how your student teaching has given you the experience necessary to have your own classroom. Make yourself sound confident, not cocky. And keep it short and sweet. I think your letter is a bit too long. The last paragraph is good-- keep it. Work with the middle part more-- make it more concise. Talk about why you want to teach at that particular school and how you would be an assett to the entire school community-- not only your students, but their parents, your fellow colleagues, and the administrators. Good luck!

4. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to work on it. I'm just having the hardest time.

5. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I know how frustrating writing cover letters can be. Maybe seeing another one will give you some more ideas. Keep in mind, I don't think there is one way to do it.

It is with great interest that I am applying for the 6th grade teaching position at ______ Middle School. I have multiple experiences leading elementary and middle school classrooms in the greater ________ area and I believe they highly qualify me for this position.

I strongly believe learning is best accomplished when students become the focus of the classroom and are given authentic experiences with which they can construct knowledge. ________ College and my teaching experiences have provided me multiple pedagogical approaches in literacy, math, science and social studies that help me achieve these goals. My commitment to literacy is exhibited through my completion of the MLPP certification, and I look forward to adding to this training and continuing to use it in my future practice.

Through my recent experiences, I have also gained other skills valuable to an upper-elementary teacher. I have experience integrating the Michigan Department of Education’s GLCEs and Standards and Benchmarks in a variety of age levels and content areas. I have developed friendly and professional rapport with parents and have been responsible for conferences and report cards in two positions. Finally, my most recent experience in a technology classroom has improved my teaching of computer literacy skills.

I feel I would be a good match not only for this position but also for ________ Public Schools. Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to having an opportunity to share more with you in the near future.

Sincerely,

**I don't know, I feel like I switch things around a lot...just try to make the letter fit what the district is looking for. Include whatever specific qualities or experiences you have that they asked for in the job description. Good luck...I hope it helped a little.

6. ChriCres

ChriCres Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

thank you so much!

7. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

no problem. :)