Help! Contract Renewal But I Want a New Job...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bean, May 5, 2014.

1. Bean

Bean New Member

May 5, 2014

Hello,

I am a music teacher at a small rural private PS-12th grade school. I have been at this school for 3 years, love the students and my principal, however my husband and I are struggling financially and feel it is time for me to make the move to public school where I will receive a higher salary and better benefits. This is proving to be harder than expected however, as music positions are few and far between and I don't want to leave a contracted position before I have something else lined-up.

My renewed contract has come out for the 2014-15 school year but I have yet to secure a new position. I have applied for a couple of positions but have yet to receive an interview. I also got word that a large district in my area will not be posting their openings until mid-June! My principal is asking that we sign and return our contracts this week, but I do not want to sign it until I have a least attempted to find another job. Our contracts do not contain a section that states how much notice we should give before "leaving" which means if I sign it and accept another position then I'm breaking it. What should I do? All of the advice I've seen has said that I should not tell my principal until I have an offer from another school but I'm going to have to tell her something since she wants the contracts a.s.a.p. Should I tell her I'm looking elsewhere and negotiate a new deadline?

Any advice would be appreciated...

3. melnm

melnm Companion

May 5, 2014

I chose to leave the first school I taught at in favor of a school closer to my house. I was commuting an hour each way. I was just honest with my principal that I needed a job closer to home. I think if you are just honest and upfront with your principal about your plans, that is the best way to go.

4. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

May 7, 2014

If you thoroughly read your contract and there's nothing there saying you can't break it, then I'd sign it and break it if I have to. Number one comes first.