Help! Composition books.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MuggleBug, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I wanted to buy some composition books for my class to use for journals. Unfortunately, I missed all the good sales because I didn't get hired until a couple weeks ago. Now I can't find any affordable books anywhere - Walmart and Target both had none (when they had them last week for 50 cents each). I don't want to spend much for them because I've already spent so much money and I just can't afford to do much more until I start getting paid. Does anyone know any other stores that sell them for reasonably cheap? If push comes to shove, I'll just buy more spiral notebooks to use, but I'd really like the composition books if I can get 'em.

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

Can you request that students bring their own or is it too late?

4. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I think Staples has 3 packs and I'll bet they'd give a "new teacher" their sale price. They know you'll be a repeat customer. I you don't live near a Staples, I'd try Wal-mart. Good Luck!

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

Keep checking at WalMart -- they get boxes of them in almost daily. A lot of times, when they are out, they really have them, just high up on the shelf still in the packing boxes. Look up! Sometimes you'll see them there clearly labeled! Not right above where they sell them, but in the back-to-school aisle. Good luck!

6. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I get composition books from my school. Have you asked if there is a supply closet that you have access to? Or if not, maybe the principal has some supplies you could use. I would definitely find that out before buying anything else.

However, if that's not an option, I would ask students to bring them in for themselves. I typically send a note home to all my students (a welcome to 4th grade letter) that includes the items I would expect them to come to school with. In this same letter, I also like to include what I will be providing for the students (so parents realize that I provide items as well). Parents are usually very willing to help out with items like this.

In some cases, families cannot afford school supplies and/or do not get the specific items you like. If this is the case, you can go out and buy those students the journal. Having to buy 5 composition books once school has started is better than buying 25-30 beforehand!

7. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2008

we put it on our school supply list and most of our students bring them in

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2008

I was just at the $1 store and saw them 2 for a buck! It know it is rare, but check!!

What bout K mart or the Christmas Tree Shop?

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2008

don't forget to check out WalGreens; it might help to check out the circulars online. Hope you get them! :)