Help Classroom Management Issues

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by cat7286, Oct 8, 2007.

1. cat7286

cat7286 Rookie

Oct 8, 2007

I think I really messed up! In the begining of the year i gave my students a lot of freedom to work in partners and groups but now it's gotten out of hand. When I want them to work independantly the talking doesn't stop. Sometimes when i'm teaching a lesson I can't even get their attention. Many times I will pose a question for discussion and the class breaks into a dozen or so conversations about the question and it is hard to get them back. I feel like they have no respect for me. Do you think this problem can be fixed or is it too late?? Any suggestions?

3. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 8, 2007

I can't tell you EXACTLY WHAT to do, but i can give you hope and say that it's not too late. I don't know what tactics work for middle school (and i'm not telling you to do exactly what i did) but i was out sick and i plan to go back in with a different attitude. Hand them an actual paper syllabus instead of just giving them the impt info. Just try and all new approach. My 5th gr teacher once said "each day is a new day", we can always start over. Can't have those days that are gone back, but you can surely do something about the ones to come. What? i WISH i could tell you specifically. But just rest assured that you CAN go back in there and win back the class. Even if it means making an example of someone so they take you serious. I read on a thread where someone told their students "if you can't be an example i'll make you one." Sounds good to me..

So keep your head held high, they're younger than you, they DON'T know everything & you can kinda "start the year over".. like i'm doing. I don't have EXACTLY the same problems, but i can relate with things not being what you wanted or hoped they would be. Maybe we'll run into each other later and compare notes.

I wish you well, hope this helps. Give you peace @ least.. :unsure:

4. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 8, 2007

You are both being too hard on yourselfs. I suppose there are some people out there who are natural teachers and have very few problems from the beginning but the rest of us. . .;) It is a long process and you have to find what works for you. Don't give up! You will find your groove! The first time I taught I almost fainted! I had to run out of the room before I hit the ground! Now I have been teaching for almost 13 years and I love it!:love:

5. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Oct 8, 2007

I still haven't learned how to spell!

6. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Oct 8, 2007

;)

7. bootsieV

bootsieV Rookie

Oct 10, 2007

Here's what I have tried that works:
    making my kids line up outside and agree to a poster that says I work quietly and enter the room quietly. (sets the right tone).They are still lining up a week later, they have to earn the priviledge back of entering my room unmonitored.
    got a fun squishy, furry ball to use during classroom discussions, nobody talks except the person with the ball (and me, if I need to ask for it back, or respond).
    It isn't too late. I feel like my classroom management is a constantly evolving thing. Just let them know how unhappy you are with how things are and that they WILL change so you can create the kind of learning environment everyone needs.