HELP!!!christmas door decorating contest

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Occabacca, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Nov 19, 2007

I jsut started a LTS position and the school is havig a christmas door decorating contest to go along with the story twas a night before christmas. I don't care aout winning but I do care about trying to fit in and be creative.

I really want to make it look nice maybe even 3D, but i don't have too much experience in the way of door decorating.
    I don't even know how to get stated.

Please any ideas would help me wit this!!!

Many of the parts of the story are already taken. The parts that are left are:
    With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
    I knew in a moment it must be St Nick.
    More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
    And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
    On, Comet! On, Cupid! on, on Donner and Blitzen!
    To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
    Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!"

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
    His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
    His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
    And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
    And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.
    And laying his finger aside of his nose,
    And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose!

3. repete8

repete8 Companion

Nov 19, 2007

maybe some students could make a reindeer for the second verse. a few other students could work on making santa and his sleigh. another group could make a porch and a wall.

4. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Nov 19, 2007

That is actually a pretty good piece of the poem you have. Start with construction paper that covers the whole door as your base. I like doors that go into 3-d. I don't know how much money you can spend or resources. But how about a door mat of some kind? Maybe some "snow" sprinkled in front of the door? What about some plastic reindeer for all the reindeer? You could do dasher/donner/etc and you could add some reindeer with your students names. Or if you can incorporate your schools mascot in there. For example, if you were the wildcats you can have a wildcat curled up by the chimney. I also make fake "presents" out of wrapping paper with all my students' names on them. They could go in front of the fireplace. It will be cheesy but that is part of the fun!!!

5. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Nov 19, 2007

My homeroom once won the "red and white" room decorating contest (we also gave money for the local children's hospital). We made everything red and white. We even rolled out red carpet for the judges to walk on. We also fed the judges red juice and popcorn! It is so much fun. At the end of the day it is not winning that counts but the spirit of working as a team really changes the class dynamics. So have your students do as much as possible!

6. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Nov 19, 2007

Thanks so far :)

well other teachers have other parts of the poem, such as :

1 teach hasTwas the night before Christmas, when all through the houseNot a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

another has-The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
    While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads.

see what i mean. Ionly need to pick a line or two to show on my door.
    Because this is my first real door decorating experience i didn't want to go too overboard and endup with too much work , not to say I will not put everything I have into this, because I will.

I just need to figure out how to start this, and what would look good.????

7. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Nov 19, 2007

There is a lot to work with there. I like the he called them by name part. You could have your students each make a reindeer and write their name on it.

Or the dash away part. You could do reindeer taking off from a roof top with a sled and the kids could make presents to put in the sleigh.

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Nov 19, 2007

A cute way to make reindeer faces is to use a foot or shoe print as the face and handprints as the ears. I bet your kids would LOVE getting to do them (either use paint or trace/cut out) because it's not something they necessarily get to do a lot of anymore :)

9. Tammy_Lynn

Tammy_Lynn New Member

Nov 29, 2007

Oh those foot print/handprint reindeer are adorable! We did it last year for the daycare's door decorating contest and we won! We poked a hole through each reindeer's nose and put a light through it to make it Rudolph :) I think it would be really cute for your poem-just put each of the names on one of the deer.

10. monays mom

monays mom New Member

Nov 29, 2007

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
    And filled all the stockings, then turned with a jerk.

You could make the door look like a chimney with that paper that looks like brick. Make a fake fire with black construction paper as the opening to the fireplace, draw logs out of brown construction paper and use yellow and orange for the fire. Make a mantle out of card board, hang little stockings with the kids name on it. Put santa like he's stuffing the stockings. Good Luck!!!!:up: