HELP!!! Centers & management

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by AKitchin, Oct 24, 2011.

1. AKitchin

AKitchin Companion

Oct 24, 2011

I teach at a suburban school, most kids have had preschool. I have 23 kids... With one child with a pretty severe behavior/sped issue (which we are working on.) I have one ESL, with two more possible.

My centers have been okay (or so I thought) I currently have a TA but her main job is to be one on one with the sped child. I rotate the kids through 4 centers + reading each day . The centers were writing (write around the room, they love it and we're engaged,) math (different math activities,) doing a game on the Prometheian board and library (look at picture books, relax on the pillows) We do not have listening centers or student computers.

The issue I'm having is that my principal said a parent was unhappy when she saw the kids on the floor during library , that they were rolling around. Also, they sometimes get rowdy using the board. To avoid any issues, those centers are now gone.

I'm stuck for ideas and for management. How do you all run centers? What do you do? Do you do Daily 5? I did in 5th, but kind of hard to listen to reading when there is no listening center... I just feel stuck!

3. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Oct 25, 2011

Is this kindergarten!? All my kids roll on the floor from time to time...that is a five year old for ya! They also randomly fall out of chairs...that is just what they do! I'd teach with my door closed!;) Remember, YOU are the professional...NOT the parent! YOU make the decisions about running your classroom!!! Don't get put in a spot of being submissive to parents...it will make for a miserable year. Just my opinion!

4. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Nov 3, 2011

I don't have much advice to give, but I can empathize with you..I have 19 kids...as a whole, my girls are great, but I have 4-5 boys who are extremely immature and have attention issues...
    So I can get help for centers, I have to hold them from 12:30-1:30, which is crazy because this is after our lunch and special and at this point of the year, the kids are about done by then. The things I'm have

The centers we do currently are: listening, math(sorting various objects into ice cube trays), cutting activity (sorting students' names by the number of letters) ABC center, and rotating big books and writing center
    My literacy coordinator is working closely with me to develop centers that are more academic-based...I understand in part the reasoning, but in so many ways, these kids are not ready to do these activities independently, even after a million times of modeling them...