help! can't afford instructional 2 credits

Discussion in 'General Education' started by maybeblissful, Oct 19, 2014.

1. maybeblissful

maybeblissful Rookie

Oct 19, 2014

Hi,
    I am a teacher at private school.I earn 26,000 a year and my school does not pay for me to continue my education. Most courses around here are about $500 a class. Does anyone have anyone advice or ideas for what I can do?
    Thank you

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 19, 2014

Take out a loan and take the class. When the class is over get a part time weekend job to pay back the loan. There aren't many schools who give you money to take classes so I'm thinking you're on your own and have to be creative with this one.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 19, 2014

Do your credits have to be in a specific area?

There are places online that will often offer CEUs for free but they are specific to that company's products. For example, I believe that some chemical supply companies (Fisher, maybe?) offer free online safety classes.

I seem to remember that some forestry services did something similar.

Look into your local YMCA and YWCA. I used to teach classes there and they weren't that expensive. They were a day and a half classes (Friday afternoon and all day Saturday) but each participant received one full CEU.

Good luck!

5. maybeblissful

maybeblissful Rookie

Oct 19, 2014

Thank you that's helpful! I'll look into that.

I tried a private loan but I don't qualify because of pay as well as a loan I already have from when I didn't have health insurance.

6. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 19, 2014

I agree with looking into other sources for credit. I teach social studies, and many of the workshops I attend will have an option for inexpensive credit.

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 19, 2014

Just a quick Google search, I haven't looked into any of these:

http://education-portal.com/articles/10_Websites_Offering_Free_Online_Teacher_Education.html

http://www.virtualeduc.com/courses.php

I took an online course through JASON academy for a graduate class. It was a gimmie course- I got credit for breathing basically. But I don't remember it being outrageously expensive and the courses were lengthy. So maybe you can get your full 2 hours credit with just one course. http://www2.edc.org/cope_mspreta/Resources/OnlineCourses/jason.htm

8. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Oct 19, 2014

Do you work for a specific religious denomination? Some of the colleges
    in my area offer discounts to the staff at their religious schools. For example, one group of colleges is offering a 25% discount. Another offered a special course price (about 1/2 price) just to teachers in their schools. Other denominations will pay the full price if you agree to teach in that school for so many years.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 19, 2014

$500 for a class would be a bargain in my area (or did you mean $500 per credit?). In any case, there are workshops out there that cost much less if you are looking mainly for new ideas and strategies or just need PD hours as required by contract. If, however, you are trying to move on the salary scale or are required to ake a minimum of accredited college credit per option period, you'll probably ave to suck it up. Talk to your colleagues and check your contract.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2014

Check out the University of San Diego's online offerings. They should have some one credit classes for around $100, unless they've gone up.

11. chisco34

chisco34 Rookie

Oct 19, 2014

Do you need CPE credits or college credit? Ed2go is very inexpensive, and mycourseroom is free. These are for CPE's to put toward certificate renewal.