Help! Boys outnumber Girls 2 to 1! Need ideas!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by lwteacher, Aug 17, 2007.

1. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

Hi. My class next year is to have 16 boys and 8 girls. I have never had such an imbalance and I am afraid of what this next year will bring. My question is, how do you handle management in a classroom with that many boys? Lots of movement, I know, but what else? :eek:
    Thanks!!
    lwteacher

3. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

I don't think there is much in the way of research that would support a major change in your classroom management practices based on gender. Please correct me if I am wrong about that.

As long as you don't make a big deal about this, I suspect it won't be a big deal.

4. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

From previous experience, I would say that girls have some calming influence. I had a class a couple of years ago that wasn't as imbalanced as this, but I had several girls out of the class for long periods of time. When they were gone, the tone was definitely different. It was more difficult for the boys to stay focused. That is why I am nervous about this class.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2007

Must be something in the water, I have 15 boys and 7 girls!! I'd say it was in the water that year, but I'm first and you're 3rd!!!:D

6. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

:crosseyed At my school we have 6 1/2 third grade classes. All of us are heavy on boys, but I lost two girls over the summer, so my spread is wider.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 18, 2007

I agree about the water! I have 10 boys and 5 girls this year in 4th!

8. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I think I have it the worst. I have 16 boys and 3 girls. :eek: I would love any input on how to handle the imbalance as well.

9. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Holy moley. The poor girls in your class Darkhorse!!! I sure hope the rest of your grade level has the same inequity. Do you know about Brain Gym? Our school is pretty hyped on it all...Basically you get up as a class and do stretches and movements that are supposed to calm and refocus. I haven't used it in my class because it has seemed pretty hokey, but I think this year I may have to give it a go.

10. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I feel sorry for the girls in the class! :)

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

Wow, I also have a class heavy on boys this year - 12 boys and 8 girls. It will be interesting, I know several of the boys are very high energy!

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 19, 2007

I had that situation last year. It was harder than most years but it wasn't that they were acting out a lot, they were just SILLY and GOOFY! They loved to get attention and sharing and book talks were always hammed up. I ended up taking sharing away for awhile, because some future stand up comics had a hard time sharing seriously. They did not like that, and came back able to share better in the end.

I did do some curriculum differently than I had planned. Writer's workshop stories emulated Captain Underpants, Star Wars and robots, godzilla, etc. It was very different from what I usually see. I just went with the flow, because I wanted them to write about what was interesting to them. They LOVED writing though, and we discussed parody a lot because they were already doing it and loved it. We did informational books and Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, David Bechkam and other sports heros were the main topics for the boys. I think most of the girls ended up doing a breed of dog. I had read a book called "Misreading Masculinity" in college, which talks about boys and literacy. It's really good. I found both reading and writing happened differently in a boy-heavy class.

One thing I did that was really great, was use a curriculum from Teaching Tolerance called "Game Face" which is about women in sports. It's free so I totally recommend it. It was really great to do with my class. (I think the curriculum is for older grades but I adapted it.) It was very good for the boys to do, and the girls as well, who had been left out of some recess sports for one reason or another.

http://www.tolerance.org/teach/magazine/features.jsp?is=37&ar=609

I also had a lot of "jocks" and the boys who weren't found it a bit tough. We did some activities to work on some conflicts that had come up when they formed a club, and let everyone in but two boys. Overall, the year was good, but I had to do more classroom management and refocusing than usual.

13. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 19, 2007

Two years ago we had 11 girls and 1 boy. This year we had almost the reverse (though not as dramatic). It was different. We did have to plan different types of activities. But then again, I think you have to consider that every year when you have a new set of kids with new interests.

14. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

BRAIN GYM (although I agree, it does seem hokey when you first read about it) is awesome. I was in a 1st grade class with lots of boys and just taking 5 minutes a day to do some different activities helps them stay focused. Also, I would plan for slightly shorter attention spans. There has been research that shows that boys have a more difficult time than girls sitting still for long periods of time. I dont mean that you can only do math for 5 minutes, but you might want to spend 5 minutes introducing something, then give 5-10 minutes of time for them to practice in some way, then come back together for a few minutes to discuss what they learned/problems they encountered, then go back and try again, etc...just alternating back and forth between talking and doing. Of course that's great for young students most of the time anyway, but with that many boys they wont have to worry about trying to sit still and attend for long periods of time. As the year progresses you can extend the time so they get used to it for when they move on to another grade level. that's what I would do.

15. socaldisneygal

socaldisneygal Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

Two of my classes are heavy on boys and one is heavy on girls. With the boys (27 boys, 6 girls) I have to watch my transition time, if I take too long I lose them. And my class that has 23 girls and 10 boys I have to watch the chatting because the girls will start gosiping. I do modify the plans for certain classes, or because I have a rotating bell schedual I will not test the classes that get antsy at the end of the day, which helps a lot.

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 26, 2007

I had a year like that, and it was actually the best year I ever had. Not all of the boys were the rowdy type and having more boys actually toned down some of the typical girl "I'm not going to be your friend because you're HER friend" stuff. ;) It could turn out better than you are expecting. Keep us posted!