Help! bored students!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jessiiteach, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Feb 2, 2013

I must be doing something differently. Or maybe my students have changed. They are so bored in class! This coming week is when I start preparing them for the state standardized test with reviews.

Does anyone have suggestions for preparing third graders for The Big Test in a fun way that is engaging? I thought of playing games but I don't know how to do that with test prep.

Also, games are tough because half of my class is at a second grade/ early third grade level, the other half is fourth through sixth grade level (of reading). The same kids always win and the same kids always lose. So suggestions on how to play games differently are welcome too.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 2, 2013

My favorite way to review for "The Big Test" is the game jeopardy. In your situation, I would split up the class so that it is 2 or 3 equal teams with the same number of high grade students on both teams.
    Beforehand, pick out problems from worksheets or their textbooks that you feel they really need to review. Have one student choose a 100, 200, or 300 category. You write the problem on the board and everyone solves it on a white board. You have the freedom to call on anyone. If classroom management is an issue, I would let them know you will choose the quietest group, and if it is a tie than you will choose the group that didn't go last time.

I then go around the room with a clipboard and I can see which students are getting the problem and which ones aren't. I don't check every board every problem, but it does give me some data to see which concepts still need a lot of work.

I then double the points to 200, 400, and 600 and the students get excited about that after about 10 minutes into the game. I usually play for 15-20 minutes if I was playing with the grades that you have. Good luck! :)