HELP! Biggest decision of life!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissKH81, May 18, 2009.

1. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

May 18, 2009

I've been a teacher for 7 years in a private school. My objective this whole time has been to obtain a public school job due to the stability, security, professionalism, and let's be honest...the pay!

To make a long story short, my current private school is a FABULOUS place to work-great parents, nice/smart students, and a great principal. However, due to the economy, we had to let go of MANY teachers for next year, cut classes, etc (not me ...thank God!). Sadly the future for this great school looks bleak.

I just got an offer at a public school! I'd be making about 14, 000 more per year and not have to worry about job security. HOWEVER, the school is dirty, classrooms are over crowded and small, most the kids are low and have behavior problems, and the teachers are crabby.
    I sound like an IDIOT to even think this over due to the pay increase, but the new school will actually be worse than my current one! Do I stay or go??? What would you do???

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 18, 2009

If you can survive on your salary then I would stay with the private school.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 18, 2009

This is my 23rd year teaching in a Catholic School.

I'm delighted to be where I am and have no desire to teach elsewhere.

But your first paragraph sounds as though things are different for you.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 18, 2009

:lol:

Aside from the place being dirty, that school sounds like mine! :lol:

Truthfully, for 14k, I'd take the new job. That's a lot of money, more than 1k per month. You could get a second house for that sort of money!

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

May 18, 2009

Being that the future of your private school looks bleak I would go with the public school job.

7. MissKH81

MissKH81 Rookie

May 18, 2009

"Aliceacc," it has been an unexpected delight for me as well. I always thought I wanted to leave, but now that I'm faced with the decision, I don't know what to do. The instability of Catholic schools in my area is sad. Catholic schools are closing left and right, year after year. I'm young and have a LOONG way to go in my career. I feel as though I need to look to the future.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

Now you know why public schools HAVE to pay more. We put up with ALOT! depending on your private school, you may be in for quite a change. As with everything else, you have to decide which you are comfortable living with - a decent work environment or pay?

9. wb929

wb929 Rookie

May 18, 2009

The grass is always greener...
    I'm not a teacher but I have realized that the older I get the less important money is to me. My time and not having unnecessary stress or drama are both very valuable.

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 18, 2009

I think that I would keep my job in the private school and keep trying for public school positions that were better suited to me. Good luck with your decision!

11. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 18, 2009

This would be my opinion as well.

As long as you can live with the pay this next year... I'd spin the wheel again NEXT spring.

(Actually - it's still early in the hiring season... keep looking...but for Me, I'd not settle for this one. - Not with a great school in the bag.)

12. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 19, 2009

I would stay at the private school. Yes you would make more money but you are happy there and that is a big deal. There is a reason those public school teachers are grumpy. It's probably the students and poor work environment.

13. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

May 19, 2009

Does the private school have any wiggle room on your salary? If you approached them about the fact that you have an offer from another school, do you think they woudl be likely to offer you a raise as an incentive to stay? Even if they could meet you half-way, and offer a $7,000 raise, that might make your decision easier.

If not, I really don't know what to tell you to do. I mean, having a pleasant work environment is important. Then again, $14,000 is a lot of money.

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 19, 2009

If it was me, I would choose the public school. I like the challenge of low kids, and the stability of the school itself staying open. But, I am not you, and the decision is ultimately yours. Maybe make yourself a list of pros and cons for each. Good luck. You are lucky to have choices! :)

15. raneydae

raneydae Companion

May 20, 2009

I'd probably stay with the private school and maybe keep looking for a better public school position.

Actually, I'm leaving my current school and going down $9000 in salary, because I'd rather be happy going to work each day than be able to afford a couple extra things. But this is just me.