help! behavior plans!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Guest, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 14, 2002

help! I was planning on doing a traffic light system for my first graders...but after really planning it out..i feel like it is going to be too time consuming....and too much money w rewards... any ideas on how to simply do behavior modification for first grade?!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2002

I'm also using the traffic light idea for my Kindergarteners. I am not giving points if they stay on green. In my parent letter I'm going to let parents know that if they don't hear from me their child stayed on the green light. I'll send notes home for yellow & red lights. I give treats 3 or 4 times a week and not necessarily for behavior. I think this will be simpler then keeping track of points.

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 15, 2002

traffic light

Hi! I am also a Kindergarten teacher and I use a traffic light system with my children. My children do not get a treat every day if they stay on green. I have one of my children record the points on a char for each day and then I have the children add them up with me at the end of the week. My prizes are not very expensive at all. Soemtimes I go to the dollar store and get a big bag of candy and they may get a piece or two. I also get inexpensive toys from the dollar store. A lot of times I get party favors that come 10 in a bag and the kids love them. Another idea for prizes are extra recess time, getting to use the teachers special markers, or sitting at the teachers desk.

Have the children help out as much as they can with keeping track of the points. They love it (I assign it as a job for the day). I love using the traffic light system.:rolleyes:

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 15, 2002

I am a 5th grade teacher and I use a simple poster with pockets , each pocket has green ,yellow and blue cards. No prizes unless the cards are not turned for one week. If students get a blue card they loose all playtime. Yellow card means watch your behavior. Candy makes great prizes, feed them.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 16, 2002

Why do you feel the need to award prizes for staying on green? I use a similar pocket chart to the one above but have NEVER awarded prizes for staying on green. I think the intrinsic motivation to stay on green is rewarding enough. I will give treats for other things but mostly for going over and beyond the usual behavior expectations. Prizes lead to greediness and the children only behave if they get a treat. I feel like children should behave because that is the right thing to do. It works for my Kindergartners.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 16, 2002

Any other behavior systems that work well for second grade???

8. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 18, 2002

I taught Kindergarten last year and I used a car pulling sytem as well. We had five colors. The only reward for not pulling a card was knowing that you did not pull a card. There were consequences for pulling cards though. My reward system was totally different from my discipline system.

This year I am teaching 2nd grade and I still use a card sytem. Only this year we only have 3 cards. I figured that 2nd graders would need fewer reminders. So far it has worked great.

Nick

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 18, 2002

Is the first card a warning along with a consequence? What happens if a child has to pull all three cards? Thanks for your help!

10. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 18, 2002

I teach Kinder and we have five colors.

green - having a great day
    yellow - oops! just a warning, try to remember next time
    red - 5 minute time out
    purple - phone call home
    black - office referral

It works wonders for me. Each day I put a color dot in their planners so the parents know what color they ended up on. If it is any other color besides green I write an explanation so the parent knows. My kids hate to even be on yellow. For them, anything less than green is devastating. I usually give three verbal reminders before the first card is pulled (depending on the situation) and this is usually enough to stay on green. Good luck

11. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 21, 2002

In my 2nd grade system we have three colors. Yellow(we call it Gold), orange and red.

Yellow - Doing great!
    Orange - Everybody makes One mistake
    Red - Minor consequence like time-out from recess, or silent lunch.
    If they pull there Red card and have none left that is when I call their parents.
    I keep track of their cards at the end of the day. If they get on red more than twice in one week I call their parents as well. If they get on red 4 or more times then I write up an informal referral to the office.

We also have a Condcut grade on our report cards. It's numerical so I also deduct one point for every day that they get on Red.

I have a pretty good presence with my kids and I am quick to deal out discipline, so card pulling is actually kind of rare in my class. We've had 2 weeks of school and so far no one has gotten past orange.

I find that the BEST Behavior Plan is to keep the kids so involved and busy that they don't have time for misbehavior.

Nick

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 25, 2002

how do set up the card pulling system? how do you arrange it? it sounds interesting and i might want to use it in my classroom.

13. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 25, 2002

I just have a piece of poster board with those library pockets glue to it. I laminate the whole poster board and cut the slits for the library pockets back open so that it is more durable. Then I laminate some construction paper and cut them down to slips that fit inside the library pockets. I write the kids' names on the pockets with a Vis' A Vis marker(so I can reuse the poster, or if kids leave or new kids come you can just erase and add a name). If they are told to move a card then they get up and move the card to the back so the next card in line is in front.

If you don't want to have the kids' names on the pockets you can number them and assign the kids a number. I've done it both ways and it works both ways for me.

Nick

14. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 25, 2002

Here is something similar to a card pulling system, but a bit different. I got the idea at a seminar last year on teaching difficult children. :)

Each child has a tongue depressor with his or her name on it. Let the children decorate it with markers so it is unique to him or her.

Then, make 4 cups. Label each cup and draw a face: 0 - big smiley face, 1 - straight face, 2 - kinda sad face, 3 - big sad face

Each morning all the sticks start out in the 0 cup. When a child misbehaves, he or she is asked to move to the next cup. The 1 and 2 cups are like warnings. If the child has had a problem 3 times, I have them think about it at recess. (I am working on a Think it Out sheet to record the behavior.) Fortunately, we have a 30 minute recess, so it leaves plenty of time to think, plus some time left over to exercise. I use the think time for just thinking, or a natural cosequence when appropriate. For instance, if the child was running in the hall, this is time to practice walking. If the child hurt someone else's feelings, this is time to write and apology note or figure out how to fix it. I ask the child to think about what they did wrong and what they will do to keep it from happening again.

If a child makes it to the 3 cup, I will send a note or call his or her parents. The stick then goes back to the 0 cup. (It goes back to the 0 cup at the beginning of every day as well.)

At the end of the day, those students who stayed in the 0 cup all day, get to have their hand stamped. (I use marker stampers.) This keeps parents informed, and the kids want to have a stamp!

Also, I let the kids sign a page in a book if they stayed in the 0 cup. Last year, when I taught first grade, they voted on a title for the book. It was "Good People to Follow." Approximately once per week, I'd look back through the book, and those students who were in the book every day that week got to eat lunch with me in the room.

This works best when 'pre-warnings' are avoided. If the children know the rules and choose not to follow them, the first warning is to move their stick to the 1 cup. They have 2 chances to get themselves under control before they lose recess.