help! behavior plans!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Guest, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 14, 2002

help! I was planning on doing a traffic light system for my first graders...but after really planning it out..i feel like it is going to be too time consuming....and too much money w rewards... any ideas on how to simply do behavior modification for first grade?!

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 15, 2002

I'm also using the traffic light idea for my Kindergarteners. I am not giving points if they stay on green. In my parent letter I'm going to let parents know that if they don't hear from me their child stayed on the green light. I'll send notes home for yellow & red lights. I give treats 3 or 4 times a week and not necessarily for behavior. I think this will be simpler then keeping track of points.

4. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Aug 15, 2002

traffic light

Hi! I am also a Kindergarten teacher and I use a traffic light system with my children. My children do not get a treat every day if they stay on green. I have one of my children record the points on a char for each day and then I have the children add them up with me at the end of the week. My prizes are not very expensive at all. Soemtimes I go to the dollar store and get a big bag of candy and they may get a piece or two. I also get inexpensive toys from the dollar store. A lot of times I get party favors that come 10 in a bag and the kids love them. Another idea for prizes are extra recess time, getting to use the teachers special markers, or sitting at the teachers desk.

Have the children help out as much as they can with keeping track of the points. They love it (I assign it as a job for the day). I love using the traffic light system.:rolleyes:

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 15, 2002

I am a 5th grade teacher and I use a simple poster with pockets , each pocket has green ,yellow and blue cards. No prizes unless the cards are not turned for one week. If students get a blue card they loose all playtime. Yellow card means watch your behavior. Candy makes great prizes, feed them.

6. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 16, 2002

Why do you feel the need to award prizes for staying on green? I use a similar pocket chart to the one above but have NEVER awarded prizes for staying on green. I think the intrinsic motivation to stay on green is rewarding enough. I will give treats for other things but mostly for going over and beyond the usual behavior expectations. Prizes lead to greediness and the children only behave if they get a treat. I feel like children should behave because that is the right thing to do. It works for my Kindergartners.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 16, 2002

Any other behavior systems that work well for second grade???

8. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 18, 2002

I taught Kindergarten last year and I used a car pulling sytem as well. We had five colors. The only reward for not pulling a card was knowing that you did not pull a card. There were consequences for pulling cards though. My reward system was totally different from my discipline system.

This year I am teaching 2nd grade and I still use a card sytem. Only this year we only have 3 cards. I figured that 2nd graders would need fewer reminders. So far it has worked great.

Nick

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 18, 2002

Is the first card a warning along with a consequence? What happens if a child has to pull all three cards? Thanks for your help!

10. Margo

Margo Devotee

Aug 18, 2002

I teach Kinder and we have five colors.

green - having a great day
    yellow - oops! just a warning, try to remember next time
    red - 5 minute time out
    purple - phone call home
    black - office referral

It works wonders for me. Each day I put a color dot in their planners so the parents know what color they ended up on. If it is any other color besides green I write an explanation so the parent knows. My kids hate to even be on yellow. For them, anything less than green is devastating. I usually give three verbal reminders before the first card is pulled (depending on the situation) and this is usually enough to stay on green. Good luck

11. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 21, 2002

In my 2nd grade system we have three colors. Yellow(we call it Gold), orange and red.

Yellow - Doing great!
    Orange - Everybody makes One mistake
    Red - Minor consequence like time-out from recess, or silent lunch.
    If they pull there Red card and have none left that is when I call their parents.
    I keep track of their cards at the end of the day. If they get on red more than twice in one week I call their parents as well. If they get on red 4 or more times then I write up an informal referral to the office.

We also have a Condcut grade on our report cards. It's numerical so I also deduct one point for every day that they get on Red.

I have a pretty good presence with my kids and I am quick to deal out discipline, so card pulling is actually kind of rare in my class. We've had 2 weeks of school and so far no one has gotten past orange.

I find that the BEST Behavior Plan is to keep the kids so involved and busy that they don't have time for misbehavior.

Nick

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 25, 2002

how do set up the card pulling system? how do you arrange it? it sounds interesting and i might want to use it in my classroom.

13. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 25, 2002

I just have a piece of poster board with those library pockets glue to it. I laminate the whole poster board and cut the slits for the library pockets back open so that it is more durable. Then I laminate some construction paper and cut them down to slips that fit inside the library pockets. I write the kids' names on the pockets with a Vis' A Vis marker(so I can reuse the poster, or if kids leave or new kids come you can just erase and add a name). If they are told to move a card then they get up and move the card to the back so the next card in line is in front.

If you don't want to have the kids' names on the pockets you can number them and assign the kids a number. I've done it both ways and it works both ways for me.

Nick

14. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 25, 2002

Here is something similar to a card pulling system, but a bit different. I got the idea at a seminar last year on teaching difficult children. :)

Each child has a tongue depressor with his or her name on it. Let the children decorate it with markers so it is unique to him or her.

Then, make 4 cups. Label each cup and draw a face: 0 - big smiley face, 1 - straight face, 2 - kinda sad face, 3 - big sad face

Each morning all the sticks start out in the 0 cup. When a child misbehaves, he or she is asked to move to the next cup. The 1 and 2 cups are like warnings. If the child has had a problem 3 times, I have them think about it at recess. (I am working on a Think it Out sheet to record the behavior.) Fortunately, we have a 30 minute recess, so it leaves plenty of time to think, plus some time left over to exercise. I use the think time for just thinking, or a natural cosequence when appropriate. For instance, if the child was running in the hall, this is time to practice walking. If the child hurt someone else's feelings, this is time to write and apology note or figure out how to fix it. I ask the child to think about what they did wrong and what they will do to keep it from happening again.

If a child makes it to the 3 cup, I will send a note or call his or her parents. The stick then goes back to the 0 cup. (It goes back to the 0 cup at the beginning of every day as well.)

At the end of the day, those students who stayed in the 0 cup all day, get to have their hand stamped. (I use marker stampers.) This keeps parents informed, and the kids want to have a stamp!

Also, I let the kids sign a page in a book if they stayed in the 0 cup. Last year, when I taught first grade, they voted on a title for the book. It was "Good People to Follow." Approximately once per week, I'd look back through the book, and those students who were in the book every day that week got to eat lunch with me in the room.

This works best when 'pre-warnings' are avoided. If the children know the rules and choose not to follow them, the first warning is to move their stick to the 1 cup. They have 2 chances to get themselves under control before they lose recess.

15. denisemarie

denisemarie Rookie

Sep 16, 2002

"Love and Logic" notwithstanding, I'm going to try out the cups in my classroom, starting tomorrow. There has to be a way to get these kids settled down and knowing that rules must be followed--without constant nagging!
    I'll let you know how it goes...
    :)

16. Amanda

Sep 27, 2002

denisemarie,
    Did you try the cups? I started it mid-year last year, and it worked okay. I had a difficult class. This year, it is working really well. I don't have a lot of major problems. They really want that stamp at the end of the day for staying in the 0 cup all day.

I actually have some kids who were in the 2 or 3 cup every day for the first 3 weeks of school who are now following the rules! Now that I have them trained, I have to remember to be consistent. If I let them off with a "pre-warning" without making them move their stick, they keep pushing for more warnings. Once you've given one kid a warning, you feel like you have to give them all a warning. Then where do the warnings stop?

I presented this problem to them the other day, and asked what they thought about it. I was going to tell them that I had decided I was giving too many warnings and I wasn't going to anymore. Instead, I presented them with the problem that we had been having too many interruptions lately for me to remind people what to do (and giving verbal warnings). We talked about that, then I asked them about giving verbal warnings versus moving a stick the first time I have to remind someone, and the kids told me what they thought. Then 12 or 13 kids out of 20 voted for me to get rid of the verbal warnings. :) They said they already know the rules and shouldn't have to be reminded... even once. No extra chances. That's what the 1 cup is for.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 27, 2002

Hi, Amanda--
    Yes, I finally got it together & made the cups up...I'm still in the "warning" phase, since we just started them last Monday. Most of the kids are *definitely* improving! I have one, though, that I don't know what to do with. He behaves like a toddler--he has his hands on everybody all the time, shouts out totally unrelated stuff--right in the middle of stories or songs, which, of course, ruins them for the rest of the class. He runs around the room all of the time, and doesn't seem to care about any consequences. Sitting him in time out at recess does no good; he apparently doesn't mind if his stick is moved. He won't stay in his seat if I send him back there at grouptime when he's poking, pinching, leaning on, and pulling the hair of the other children--so then, I have to interrupt grouptime even MORE to tell him to "come back in the room, get out of your locker, put so-and-so's school box back, don't pour that glue on the table," etc., etc. He's even had several potty accidents--on the worst day, he had 3!!!

He's a very-end-of-the-cutoff birthday, so he'll be four well past Thanksgiving. I'm usually not concerned with birthdays--some kids are ready, some are not--but I think this little guy is just too young. He's never been to preschool or even Sunday school, so this is his first time to be with other children in a group. I think he's trying to interact when he pesters them to death; he doesn't act vicious or angry--he's just like the Energizer bunny--he keeps going, and going, and going...! He seems not to understand most of what we do; he has yet to complete one assignment or project w/o EXTREME adult supervision. He was quite stunned when I tried to explain that, at school, you have to listen to the teacher, and do what she tells you...I don't think he bought it...

But I think the rest of them get it!!! :)

Funny you should mention the warnings--I was just thinking about that today! I've been saying, "so-and-so, what are you doing? Are you following the rules, or do we have to move your stick?" I'd decided today that we'd have a little talk next week about 'no more warnings.'

...and, of course, schedule another meeting with the Energizer bunny's mom...

18. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 27, 2002

Oh--wait--that last post was me again!!
    I keep forgetting that it doesn't recognize me if I click on the active link from an e-mail... :)

19. denisemarie

denisemarie Rookie

Sep 27, 2002

...evidently, even if I log in...sorry! I'm not an unregistered guest--it's really me, denisemarie...honest...

20. Amanda

Sep 28, 2002

Sorry about the problem with not being recognized! I think part of it is due to a bug in the program. I noticed that the newest version addresses the problem, but my free upgrades have run out. Whenever I decide I want to pay $30, I can get the upgrades for another year. We'll see. :)

Anyway, those little immature guys are the toughest. They just don't fit in. I am SOOOOOO lucky not to have one this year. In first grade, I had one that acted like he was 4. That was tough when most of my class acted like they were 8. Here, kids cannot start K until they are 5. The cutoff is at the end of July, and even then, a lot of the parents hold their kids back until they are 6 if they have a summer b-day.

When you have one like that it's hard to get a handle on the others. Hang in there!!

When I started the cups with my kinders, I think it was the 3rd or 4th day of school. First I explained the system to them. Then I let them decorate their sticks, but we weren't to start it until the next day... Then I would tell them 'that's something I would have you move your stick for, etc.' I think we had 2 days that were designated as practice .. I don't think I sent home behavior notes until the next Monday. I sent home an explanation of it in the newsletter on Friday.

It's hard not to give those warnings, but it really pays off if you don't. The kids seem to develop better self control because it is more consistent.

21. Amanda

Sep 28, 2002

A note about those warnings... I love this comparison from Love and Logic.... This is from Parenting With Love and Logic but there is a similar story in Teaching with Love and Logic that relates directly to teachers:

LOVE AND LOGIC TIP 20:
    Warning:Good Parents Don't Give Warnings

Think of yourself as tooling down the freeway at 70 mph in a 55 mph zone. You see the multicolored lights of doom blinking in your rear-view mirror, and you think of one thing, and one thing only: "I'm going to get a ticket."

The cop saunters up to your car, nice as can be, writes the ticket, bids you adieu, and is on his merry way. He offers no histerics, no anger, no threats. Just courtesy and a little slip of paper--the consequences of your breaking the law.

As an adult, you would never think, in your wildest imaginations, of telling him, "I'll be good officer. Honest, I won't speed anymore, and having him say, "Well, okay. IF you'll be good, I won't write you a ticket." That is the stuff of fantasy.

... The real world doesn't operate on the multiple-warning system, and neither should we. Parents who give a lot of warnings raise kids who don't behave until they've had a lot of warnings.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 28, 2002

Our cut-off date is December 1st. My immature guy turned 5 in January, other than 2 repeaters, and a couple of others he is the oldest, but acts the youngest! Mom says he went to day care, but all he did was play. If you ask him why he did something he says "No reason". He says that at home too!

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2002

I have a small class of fifth graders. They are expected to behave themselves .... just because that's the way life is! We do a lot of character teaching in our school. I do have two students who need a plan though. What I am using is much simpler than a card system, but that's probably because they are mature enough to use this system. They each get ten tokens on Monday morning. That is their bank. Every time I have to remind one of them about a behavior (it is usually inattention), he gives me one token. If he has any tokens left on Friday afternoon, he gets a piece of candy. That's it. All I do is walk over and quietly say, "token, please". The student knows what he is doing wrong (or not doing). I told them that we needed this system so that I didn't nag them. After the first week, I started each with 9 tokens. The third week, with 8 tokens, etc. It is working very well.

24. denisemarie

denisemarie Rookie

Sep 30, 2002

So--I had that talk with my class today--"We've had the cups for one week, and you all know the rules. There won't be any more warnings..." I still had several kids who weren't in the "Hooray!" cup at the end of the day, (my cups, along with the faces, say "Hooray!" -- "Oops!" -- "Uh-oh!" -- and "Oh, no!") but I think they're starting to get it. It feels like less of a struggle every day. (Except for the one boy. He was removed from class today when he pulled the chair out from under a little girl--TWICE!! I told him the first time--she didn't fall that time, but stood up--"Get in your seat, and don't touch her chair again!" He was already in the 4th cup (by 10 am), but his mom had come in to school to watch him in the classroom, so he hadn't been sent out. I wanted her to see him in class.

Of course, he wasn't nearly as horrible with her sitting there, but even she could see that he pays no attention to what's going on, gets out of his seat constantly and wanders around the room, and wants to play all the time. He kept his hands to himself while she was there, though. She left after lunch, and they had specials until 2:00. At 2:10, he was sent from my room for his SECOND offense (in about 5 minutes) of pulling the chair out from under the little girl.

I must say, though--the principal called his parents in, and did *not* send him back to class!! He was told that he will be suspended the next time he hurts anyone.

Even so, I find myself giving him more warnings/reminders/directons than anyone else in class--otherwise, he'd be "kicked out" (in the 4th cup) by 9:00 every morning! (We start school at 8:00--I'm being generous.)

I find myself wishing his dad would get a job transfer...to anywhere...

I know it's not really his fault--no 4-year-old WANTS to be bad, but that doesn't help the rest of my students!

They are making progress. Hopefully, he will, too--SOON!!

I would have to contend that the behaviors you get in your classroom depend a great deal on what your students get at home. Sure, you can teach them, but if they've never had any discipline, or learned any self-control or obedience, it will not happen overnight. Any system you use is going to take time and repetition.

Denise:)

25. Amanda

Sep 30, 2002

Denise,

I love your "Hooray!, Oops!, Uh-Oh!, and Oh-No!" sayings!! That helps explain it so well. I think I'll label mine that way. The kids will want to stay in the "Hooray! Cup" instead of the "Zero Cup." It sounds a lot better. Although they had the faces on there, the numbers caught on more easily when they referred to the cups!

I know what you mean about the boy who is in the 4th cup by 9:00.... that makes it hard!! It's great that you have a supportive principal!! I had a boy last year that was going to be suspended "the next time" all year. There were about 10 next times, and he was always sent back to class within 15 minutes when I sent him to the office. Luckily, I have a really good class this year (and new school!) and my two problem kids went through the cups really quickly at first. Today was our 29th day of school, and I think that they have been staying out of the "OH NO!" cup since the 20th day of school :)

I love hearing what other people are doing. We can always improve upon our ideas that way. Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

26. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Oct 1, 2002

I have a few students who are heading towards suspension (3rd grade), one in particular. I need to vent. I am so sick of looking at these 3 children I could SCREAM. Two are clearly ADHD, never focus or stay in their seats or stop talking or finish their work althogh they have the ability (one is TAG!!!). The process to ID kids will take alllll year. The third is my real problem. She has punched another student, talks back, refuses to do her work, kicks the other kids' desks, anything to be disruptive. Also a prety smart and capable kid.

She's in the back of the classroom now, alone. (Being up front made it worse because she was clingy to me and calling out and bothering others). She has acted like this for the past 3 years, no improvement. My life would be so much better (like Denise's) if one of her parents would just get a new job and move! This kid drives me nuts.

I can't keep sendng her out of the room and she's too disruptive when she's in it. Expulsion would please me but not help her problem and I do not want that as my goal. What am I supposed to do with this kid all day long? Its not fair to ignore only HER misbehvaior and no one else's.

Thanks for 'listening'. Every one of you has a child like this so I know you understand, but there just isn't a magical solution.

27. Amanda

Oct 1, 2002

Gosh, I really feel for you all. I am very fortunate this year to be in a school system that helps these kinds of kids. I realize I am in an exceptional school district. Last year, my kids with emotional, behavioral and academic problems had no help because they didn't 'qualify' for anything.

This year, I have a KINDERGARTNER that has already (!) been identified with a behavior disorder in preschool. He actually qualifies for 30 minutes a day in the "behavior resource room," but he has only gone there twice... With help from the teachers in that department he has really shaped up!! It's amazing what can be done when you catch it early. In addition, our school started a "Solutions Room" for the kids who were not diagnosed with anything, but disrupted class, etc. It is an alternative to In-School Suspension. They get character education/solutions while they are there, and it has been very successful. I haven't had to send anyone yet. :)

For the kids with academic problems and misc. we have an At-Risk program so they can get extra attention and tutoring. We also have after-school tutoring for kids that have been identified to need more help.

Basically, when the program wasn't provided by the law, the school improvised and made our own. Some things have been paid for through grants. :)

I'm not trying to make anyone jealous... just putting out some ideas....

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 2, 2002

Hi

The cup behavior program sounds great! I would love to start this behavior plan on Monday. I teach higher functioning students with autism. I think that they can grasp the concept, however they have many behaviors. I am fearful that they may land in the last cup everyday.

Where do you keep the cups? What happens if they land in the last cup before the afternoon? Should they start in cup 0 again?

Also, I was using the boring old x system with these particular students. When they became defiant, their name was put in the board (as a warning). Next theyreceived an X on the board for every inappropriate behavior. After 3Xs, the student did not earn their end of the day reward. Sometimes when they received an x, they started whining or crying for me to erase it. With the cup system, do you give a certain amount of time to get themselves together if they are upset about moving cups? Perhaps a minute before moving to the next cup. The reason I ask is because I can see it now, the student will move to cup 3 and get upset and whine for a minute or two. I am think of one student in particular who will carrying on and say "Miss Shea, how can you do this to me!" He is actually very cute, but has a history of whining.
    Should I use a timer and say "you have 1 minute to calm down"?

I am excited about this behavior plan so any suggestions would be fantastic.

Thanks!

~Shea

29. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 3, 2002

I don't use the cup system, although it sounds interesting. I use the card pulling system. My kids will whine and cry if they have to pull their color but I just explain to them that it was their choice to do whatever it was that broke the rule. I didn't make that choice for them. Next time they need to think about their choice so they don't end up changing colors. We are always talking about good choices/bad choices. So, whining or not, they must change their color. What's more, I tell them that if they make the choice to NOT change their color and I end up having to do it for them that I will change not one but two colors since they have defied what I told them. That will generally end the whining and they change it on their own. I don't think I have ever had to pull two colors in that situation. I have regular ed kindergartners so I am sure it is different with autistic children.

30. Amanda

Oct 3, 2002

Margo,
    I do the same thing with my kids who whine or argue about moving their stick. I say, "You can move your stick to the 1 cup, or I can move it to the 2 cup..." I do have one that is very obstinant... I have had to do this for her more than once!

31. Amanda

Oct 3, 2002

Unregistered,
    Once they are in the last cup and they spend their time thinking at recess, they start back in the 0 cup. If they make it to the 3 cup again, you might choose a different consequence.

I keep the cups on a table or shelf accessible to the kids. It is off limits unless they have been told to go there. Last year I didn't have any kids who moved sticks when I wasn't looking. This year I have a little girl (the same obstinant one) who will move other people's sticks. I usually remember (or the kids will remember) where the stick belongs, but that is something you may have a problem with.

I think if you use the technique Margo and I discussed for whiners then you will be successful. There is really no room for whining when you give them that choice.

Let us know if you think of any other questions.

32. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 8, 2002

Thank you for the ideas. I started the cup program on Monday and it is going well. We decided to take a picture of each student and tape it to the top of the popsicle stick. This enables them to actually see thier face in each cup.

I use more cups than a typical class would. The cups are as followed:
    1. Having a Great Day! 2. Everyone Makes Mistakes 3. Oops
    4. Let me Remind Myself what I am workig for 5. Mom is going to Hear about this 6. What in the World Was I thinking?

My whiner complained about moving a cup. I told him that I was going to count to 10 and when I was finished he needed to stop whining, or he was moving to another cup. It seems to be working out, however I liked your idea of moving 2 cups.

Again, thanks for your help. Let me know if you have any other tips ;-)

~Shea (My name keeps coming up as unregistered)

33. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 13, 2002

34. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 21, 2002

This must be a really bad year everywhere! I am sooooo disgusted with other people's children that I feel I have to change careers. Not a happy prospect for someone who is 47 years old and used to love to teach. Kids are soooooo needy! They need so much more than can be given to them by one person in a classroom of 25-30. It used to be that there might be one in a class that size that was in need of close monitoring. Now it's more like five and growing. I have no answers, except to review our inclusion laws or scream for more money. (For the kids, not us. I realized going in that I was never going to get rich doing this job!) The tought of doing this for another 15 years almost makes me break out in hives! I don't think I will be able to handle the stress. Isn't it a shame that so many good teachers can think of nothing but leaving the system? No wonder there is a teacher shortage! Who wants to do this job anymore?

35. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 21, 2002

I am sorry that you feel this way. I love doing this job and wouldn't want to do anything else. I was away from the classroom for about four years and missed it terribly. I couldn't wait to get back into it and still love doing it. Maybe you should think about changing grade levels. Getting a new perspective on things may change your attitude and feelings toward the profession.

36. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 25, 2002

behavior mod elementary age

I use a system similar to the colored card but when the kids get to the 2nd warning (whatever color it may be) they have to sign a BooBoo book, they put the date, the time, their name and what they did that got them in trouble, i also call parents to let them know, usually the student has already told the parents and the behavior rarely happens again, it make the kids own up to inappropriate behaviors as well. Works like a charm so far!

37. Guest

Guest Guest

Nov 19, 2002

The cups are working out very well

Hi!

I just want to thank everyone who suggested the cup behavior mod. It is working very well for my autistic middle school class.

Please let me know of any other interesting strategies or techniques!

Thanks sooooooo much!

~Shea