HELP-ATTITUDE PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MrsB2B, Mar 3, 2009.

1. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

:woot:Hey guys...I know it's towards the end of our year, but I'm losing it with the attitudes I've got.

I teach in a lower income school district and I know the kids see this behavior at home and don't know any better. They talk so poorly to one another (ie. pointing fingers at one another, smart mouth, "shut up", "i'll hit you"). The girls are the worst with the hips and finger pointing.

I tried making them write an apology letter when someone is rude or disrespectful, but today it got out of hand. I just watched 2 girls for a minute thinking to myself, "How can this be right?" The girl speaking was looking at me throughout most of what she was saying.

When accidental bumps happen, they blow up at the person. They threaten. I also know that throughout kindergarten, first, and second, the behaviors were never corrected. The younger grades teachers let it "fly."

Now they are in fourth grade and the behaviors are getting worse!

I'M DESPERATE! Does anyone have ANY strategies for helping (ie. team building activities (that work)). I have a great economy system complete with class store that works for normal behaviors, but I feel like this kind of stuff is a seperate class altogether.

Thank you in advance for anything you may be able to offer!:woot:

3. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Mar 3, 2009

Try to google respect"" activities teaching kids how to respect one another. There's a handful of articles you can read.

4. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Apr 5, 2009

I use a ticket reward system in my fourth grade classroom and whenever anyone does something kind, I give them tickets for it and really make a big deal out of it. It seems to catch on, although there are days that I don't have the patience for the bad behavior and I tend to slack on giving out tickets. That's one thing that I need to improve.