Help! Ahhh

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by roseteacher12, Aug 10, 2009.

1. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

So on a whim I applied to a gifted and talented job yesterday and they called me today (omg!) Now the thing is I do NOT have any G&T certification..You can get a graduate certificate here in NJ and I am hoping to start Grad school in the Fall with one class so I could start the cert process. Now would the school even have called me if I couldnt teach it? I filled out a whole application process online so they know what I am capable of and what my cert is. Does anyone know if you need a G&T cert to be able to teach it? I know this might be specific to NJ so any of you fellow jerseyans would be a great help! Also, they want me to come in THIS AFTERNOON! im freaking out, i dont really know anything about teaching G&T except that I used to be in it! lol

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

Oh boy! I was in G&T too but I don't remember anything about it! Do you think you can look something up online just to get an idea. Maybe you don't HAVE to be certified in it but I would mention that you plan on furthering your education in that area. It could be difficult for them to find G&T certified teachers so they are interviewing everyone? Good luck!

4. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

i just talked to a friend of mine and she said the g&t teacher at her school has no additional cert so i guess its not needed, some schools maybe just like you to have one. and i do remember a bit of what i used to do so i could play off that. but i have noooo idea what else they might ask!

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

ok im going in at 3 and giving myself an hour to get there. this means i have a little over an hour to prepare! i was able to find the district's enrichment standards which is awesome and ive been googling for other things,

6. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I got hired to teach GT this year. I have one year to get my GT credential. They asked me what I know about GT students, how to differentiate instruction, how to deal w/ difficult parents, classroom management, why I wanted to teach GT, and how I feel about Science. Good luck!

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 10, 2009

I would guess they would get you a temporary certificate, which is usually good for one year, and in that year you would need to get your GT certification.

8. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I know that my current district has an opening for a gifted and talented teacher. I wonder if it's the same district. PM me to let me know where you are interviewing. In NJ, you don't need an additional certification to teach gifted and talented classes.

9. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

thank you, that helps a lot!!

10. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I PMed you =) leavving soon though so I probably wont get your reply unless its in the next 5 or so minutes lol

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

Good luck!

12. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

well that was sufficiently awful =(

i dorve and hour there and hour back to have a 10 minute interview where i felt totally out of my element. they seemed more interested in what extracurricular activities ive done as a teacher (non, ive only worked as a teacher for 4 months, did you not read my application) and although i felt i was able to discuss my extracurricular activies (coaching and volunteering) i know thats not what they were looking for. they also asked about technology and my subbing experience in general and that was it. i just dont understand how i can get called for a job im barely qualified for but cant get an interview for a job I KNOW i can impress the pants off them if i were to interview. ugh.

13. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

But you are qualified for the job right?
    Everyone said you don't have to have any special certification in NJ to teach GT.

Was it a full time job or a part time one? In elementary school or somewhere else?

I hope you hear good news!

14. txnewbie

txnewbie Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

Don't beat yourself up. It's okay, at least you got an interview. Thing will get better.

15. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

technically yes the only cert you need is elementary ed but i am certified in K-5 and this job is K-8. and my experience so far has been only in Kindergarten! I just think if you're bringing someone in, with my qualifications and experience you should know what to expect and should ask questions based on how I will teach these students. they didnt really seem concerned with that at all. as soon as i said i had not run any extracurricular activities through school they seemed pretty much uninterested. now if this were a regular ed classroom interview i KNOW i would do a great job answering questions and impressing them and in this interview it just felt like they werent interested at all.

16. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

:hugs: I'm sorry it didn't go as well as you would've hoped. My good friend teaches G&T at our school and doesn't have any extra certification.

17. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

g&t is somehting ive actually been really interested in teaching so i felt like this was a great opportunity. and i felt like from the start i wasnt able to really show what i can do unfortunately. I know i would do an awesome job with that position because of my own personal experience with it and because i love challeneging students but i never got an opportunity to discuss any of that.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

:( Boo to them...sounds like they had their minds made up before you even got there, which makes me soooooo mad!!! :mad:

19. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

yeah it stinks! but oh well it was an experience and even though it was awful driving so far in one day for a not so good interview at least it was so last minute that it didnt give me time to really overthink and get too excited about it. i almost fel like it never happened lol

20. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 11, 2009

It is their loss... It sounds like they already had someone else in mind and Mother Teresa could have walked in and they would have rushed her along and bid her well on her mission of peace. ;)

21. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

:)