help! age-appropriate "discipline" in 4k

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by madtownrph, Sep 27, 2011.

1. madtownrph

madtownrph New Member

Sep 27, 2011

Hello.

I am a parent of a 4 yo daughter in a pre-k program. I am concerned about some of the approaches used in my daughter's class. It appears that they use a white board (where all the kids can see it) to show who has not behaved well - the student's name with a frown face. They also encourage good behavior with rewards. Each week they give out a chart that they fill up with stickers during the week to one friend in the class that has especially been a good friend during the week. I personally am concerned because I want my daughter to learn to behave nice because it is the right thing to do and not because she was humiliated or bribed.

1. What are the acceptable ways of correcting bad behavior and motivating good behavior in this age group?
    2. Does the NAEYC have guidelines for appropriate behavior modification strategies for this age group?

Thanks!

3. Bengie03

Bengie03 Rookie

Sep 27, 2011

This type of discipline is not developmentally appropriate. Most high quality centers use redirection. If I may ask is this a state funded preschool or private? Also is there any way you can speak to someone like the teacher regarding your concerns.

4. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Sep 27, 2011

When I taught preschool last year I used a lot of teacher modeling, redirection, and pointing out good behaviors I saw in the classroom (to encourage others to do the same!) I also agree that belittling and bribing do not work. Children need to gain internal motivation to make good behaviors instead of the external motivator or toys, stickers, etc.

5. madtownrph

madtownrph New Member

Sep 27, 2011

This is a private center and follows NAEYC guidelines. I have had really good experiences with the other classrooms up to this point. I have brought up my concerns with the teacher but she has brushed me off. I am debating on talking to the administrators. Do you have any good online resources about behavior correction at this age? Thanks!

6. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 27, 2011

What have your discussions with the teacher been like up to this point? Has she given you reasons why she uses this system? I don't agree with it for children this age, and I use redirection in my own classroom, but I wonder if she could explain her reasoning.

7. tgtbtj

tgtbtj Companion

Sep 29, 2011

Well I have to disagree with you guys. I personally use the sticker system in my classroom and it works amazingly well with my kids. I have used it with 1st graders, 4year olds as well as my three year olds. The thing about very young children is that they need something to motivate them to do the right thing. They don't quite understand that they should be nice just to be nice. Life is about being rewarded for good behavior. I don't see it as bribing a child to be nice or get along with their friends, I think it is just a reminder to them, something tangible that shows them how they are doing. Plus, they are quite proud to show their parents how well they are doing and it also helps the parents to see how well their kids are doing in class. I have not had any complaints from any parents or administrators and I have been continually told that my class is the best behaved out of the whole school. It would be nice if children were nice just because it felt good but unfortunately that is not always the case. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving the children motivation and also letting them "see" why some behaviors are acceptable or unacceptable.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 29, 2011

Whether or not it is developmentally appropriate or the best practice, I've seen it often enough on these boards to know that it is a common practice. My own child has a smiley and frown face version at this age. I do not know how it was displayed. The thought process is that kids this age understand visuals better. So visually showing a child a concrete symbol or mark, is easier for them to understand.

I personally find other methods. The only thing I really do not like about the OP's description is how widely it is seen by everyone. Otherwise, this is a familiar system that is often used in a variety of different ways by classroom teachers. It isn't the only method but it isn't a rare practice.

9. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Oct 2, 2011

Can someone explain how you redirect 5 students all day long when you have 23 students? I would love to be able to do that but I think it is unrealistic. I have at least 1 child who walks around hitting and pushing other children, 1 child who runs in the classroom, never does what I ask, throws chairs, hits kids, 2 other children who disrupt everything I try to do (they yell, they get distracted by EVERYTHING-an ant crawling on the floor, a piece of paper on the floor, someone walking by the classroom, etc.) and 1 child who has good days and bad days (the bad days include calling the teacher stupid, yelling that she hates school, crying, pushing kids, saying REALLY mean things to children,e tc). So how do I accomplish anything if I spend the entire day redirecting these children.
    I give out rewards to those children who make good choices, I praise them often (I praise these 5 children whenever they make good choices as well and hope that motivates them). I also put them in time out during free play for serious misbehaviors. I have had conferences with the parents and with the principal but it's not working. I get the "bribes and humiliation" thing but I don't know how to avoid that!