HELP!!!! Advice for a teacher trying to find a job!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teach3510, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Teach3510

Teach3510 New Member

Aug 23, 2011

Hello. I have came to this site often for ideas, but this is my first time posting. After 2 years of teaching for a local corporation I find myself in a terrible situation and I am wondering if my teaching career is over before it really began.

During my 2 years with the local school corp I was hit with some serious health problems. My first year I went over my sick days, but I had doctors statements for any day over my limit. I was told by my union rep that that should make it ok since I was having a legitimate health issue. I was still put on an improvement plan which was understandable.

The following year my health problems had actually worsened. I was also switched to a different school and now working for a principal that was far less understanding. He actually made my year worse and more stressful which led to my health being even worse. I spent way more time and money at the doctor than I ever wanted, but they were having a hard time figuring out what exactly was wrong. I once again went over my days, but still had statements from the doctor for each day I was out. The principal seemed determined to get rid of me and the corp were looking for ways to trim the budget. At the end of the year my principal came to me and said the he was recommending that my contract not be renewed. I got in touch with the union president and did all I could to fight for my job, but in the end they were not willing to keep me. I was advised to resign and did so. It really was just a case of bad timing for my health. I feel that I am a good teacher and I worked extremely hard both years I was with this corp. My students really liked me and their test scores improved while I was their teacher.

I am now having a hard time finding another teaching job. I live in Indiana and teaching jobs are so hard to come by right now. I have had 2 interviews, but I did not get the jobs. I know that the last principal I worked for is telling people that I have attendance issues. The problem is that that corp is the only corp I have worked for so there is no one else for potential employers to call. Attendance was not an issue at my other jobs before teaching. I held one job for 3 years and left to begin school and I held my other job for 7 years and left to begin my teaching career. I feel like my teaching career is ruined because of my terrible first 2 years of teaching.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to possibly get my career back on track? I have not ever had to be a substitute, but I am willing to do that if it will help me get my foot in the door somewhere. I am even willing to go back and sub for that corp if it will help to restore my nae within the corp. I just keep applying for any and every opening I see within about 45 miles. I am just afraid that my poor health will scare off potential employers. I have since gotten my health problems taken care of and they are no longer a problem at all.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really do want to teach and I feel that I am a good teacher. I am open to any suggestions that might help me get my teaching career back on track. I hate to think that it is ruined before it got started.

3. kme93

kme93 Companion

Aug 23, 2011

I'm sorry that you've had health problems. This all just my opinion, but it might be worth a try. I would keep applying for jobs, but you may have to substitute. I would also sign up to sub and try to get as many sub jobs as you can. I know sub pay isnt a lot, but it's better than nothing. Also, I would take pretty much any sub job that posted at your old school. You already know how the school works and you would be able to try to rescue your reputation with that P. Also, if you're in an interview and they seem like they may call your past employer I would let them know a little of what was going on. I would just say something else like "I left my last job for health reasons, but now my health is better and I'm excited and ready to get back to work." On second thought..maybe not...but it's something to think about.

Good luck! I know it's tough out there, but just keep trying.

4. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Aug 23, 2011

My contract for my first job wasn't renewed after 2 years and I chose not to resign. Not for reasons of health, just budget cuts. It's unfortunate that this happened to you. I'm sorry... I was an elementary school teacher, and I couldn't find a job. I became certified to teach math and science, and this year for the first time in 3 years I finally have a real teaching job. Consider earning your certification in math, science, or special education. There are jobs available in those areas. Other than that, I don't have any advice... it worked for me so maybe you can give it a try? I teach 7th grade science now in California where teaching jobs are also hard to find. During the past few years, I worked at a private school making next to nothing and a charter school as a teacher's aide.

5. Teach3510

Teach3510 New Member

Aug 23, 2011

Thank you for the responses. Both have very good advice. I actually taught one year of 7th grade science and was emergency certified to do so. I have checked into taking the necessary tests to get certified in other areas. The encouragement from other teachers that can relate means a lot to me. Thank you. Any others with advice would be greatly appreciated.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

You might just be straight forward and tell the principal who is interviewing that when you were at the jobs in the past you were having health problems, which have since been resolved, that caused attendance issues.

7. miss tree

miss tree Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

Can you provide a letter from your doctor documenting your health issues and stating that these problems have been resolved? This might help alleviate the fears of future employers that you're going to take a lot of time off if they hire you.

8. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Aug 23, 2011

I'm really sorry for your situation. Teaching jobs are of two types one is working as full time teacher or as part time tutor. You can try second one for few days until you recover from health issue. you can also ear money easily. There are many tutoring services online like tutorz site. Join here and get tutoring opportunities, when you recover fully start to work as full time tutor.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 24, 2011

I'm very sorry to hear that you've had some serious health problems and the schools that you worked at couldn't be more accommodating and understanding to your situation. However, I'm wondering if you've considered a full-time teaching position to be the ideal position for yourself.

If you're unhealthy and have to take time off often, that is in a way unfair to the students. They need their teacher in school to teach them-- it helps to build a safer learning environment and not all subs are willing to teach a lesson the same way you would. The principals might have seen the students struggling and thought that they really need a teacher who can be in more often for the students.

Also, you said that the principal at your second school was less understanding, that working in that situation caused you more stress, and that the stress did not help your health situation. This is completely understandable! But you have no reassurance that the next position will have understanding co-workers. Why continue to put yourself in such a position that will worsen your health?

Maybe you would do better in other educational fields/jobs instead of a full-time in the classroom teaching position. Something that would allow you to set your own schedule, lets you work for yourself or a small group, whatever. Tutoring might be a good fit or designing your own products to sell for teachers and students would be a possibility. I'm sure you're a fine teacher, but you need to work in a way and in a place that you can still take care of your health properly.

10. Teach3510

Teach3510 New Member

Aug 24, 2011

I appreciate all the responses. I do want to make it clear that my health is no longer an issue. The problems that plagued me for those 2 years have been totally resolved. the doctors just had a hard time figuring out what was giving me all the problems, but when they finally did it solved everything.

The other thing is that even though I missed those days my students improved both of those years on their test scores. I actually went to the superintendent and tried to make a case to save my job based on the fact that my students performed so well on the state test. Nothing was going to save my job because they were wanting to get rid of people to cut budget and my situation left me as an easy target.

So my health is no longer a problem. Now I just need to figure out a way to restore my name in education circles in this area. I know that 2 potential jobs backed off because the old corp told them I had attendance issues. When someone hears that then of course they won't hire you, but there is an explanation. I just never get the chance to explain that I had these issues, but they are fully resolved now.