Help! Accept/decline Verbal Offer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LadyLuna, Jul 29, 2014.

  1. LadyLuna

    LadyLuna New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 29, 2014

    Hello, I am new to this forum and a new teacher as well. I am in a bit of a predicament and I need some professional advice from teachers. I am newly certified to teach art K-12 and have experience teaching elementary from internship and subbing. I had an interview in a small town that went very well. They basically offered me the job that day but I told them I am looking at another school in another district. They gave me a few days and called me today to offer me the position. Unfortunately the second school couldn't interview with me sooner so I have one scheduled with then in two days. When the first school called to offer me the job I told them of my upcoming interview and they proceeded to give me 2 hours to make a decision and call back.

    So I called back and accepted their offer because this would be my first year teaching and I need to take what I can get. Tomorrow is their board meeting for approval which they said shouldn't be a problem with clearing me and that I should come in later this week to get keys to my room and I'm assuming fill out paperwork. My interview at the second school is still scheduled as of now. Honestly, I would prefer working at the second school because it pays almost 10k more a year and I would only be teaching elementary which I'm most comfortable with, whereas the first school is elementary and high school.

    Is it ok to proceed to my interview and scope it out before I report to the first school? And if the second school offers me the job is it ok to go back and decline my first offer that I already verbally accepted? It is very close to school starting and I would hate to screw the first school over, but shouldn't I do what is best for me?

    Help, please!
     
  2.  
  3. GTB4GT

    GTB4GT Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2011
    Messages:
    747
    Likes Received:
    143

    Jul 29, 2014

    So you have only accepted the first job verbally? I would proceed to the second interview. If it goes well, tell them you have another job possibility and ask for a quick decision (before you visit school 1). If things go well, then accept job #2. My experience has been mostly in the business world and this would not be an unusual situation or one that should cause stress for year. $10k and preferred grade levels are big factors.

    Just make sure all other factors are considered - environment, how do you feel about the admin at both schools, etc. Eventually these are more critical than the money in job satisfaction. perhaps there may be some hard feelings at school #1 but you have to manage your career first and not worry about pleasing others. Just my $.02.
     
  4. swansong1

    swansong1 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Messages:
    6,600
    Likes Received:
    1,501

    Jul 29, 2014

    I'm going to disagree with the previous poster. You have a commitment to school A. This close to school beginning, you may want to honor your word.
     
  5. giraffe326

    giraffe326 Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2006
    Messages:
    7,075
    Likes Received:
    15

    Jul 29, 2014

    My new district couldn't give me a contract until after Board approval. It sounds like your new district is the same. The Board has already heard about you and they know your name. I would think hard about turning it down after they approve you. It will definitely be a burned bridge, and word of mouth could hurt you. Principals talk!
     
  6. GTB4GT

    GTB4GT Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2011
    Messages:
    747
    Likes Received:
    143

    Jul 29, 2014

    as you can see from just 3 replies, really there are only 2 choices you have. Ultimately you have to decide which of the 2 works best for you. best wishes as I know these choices aren't easy..
     
  7. Moogeeg

    Moogeeg Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 29, 2014

    I actually dealt with this a few months ago when I found my job. There was a school about 2 hours north of home that wanted me. It was a wonderful school with amazing students and staff, but I would have had to move and make less money as well. At this stage in my life, moving was not a good option. I was verbally offered the job, and accepted. However, before I was offered the job, I had set up an interview at a school much closer to my home with better pay. I debated whether or not to cancel the interview, but ultimately decided to interview anyway.

    I loved the school closer to home immediately, and was up front with them when they asked if I had offers from other schools. I let them know that I had one from the first school, but that I loved their school and did not want to move away from the area. Lo and behold, I got the job.

    I called the principal at the first school and let him know that I was offered another job that would be a better fit, as I wouldn't have to move. He wasn't happy, but he seemed to understand and I was free to go since verbal acceptances are not legally binding in my state.

    There are many people on this site who will tell you to stick to your word, and in many cases I would agree. However, at the end of the day it is YOUR life and you need to do what is best for you. 10k and elementary sounds like a great deal.

    Even though the beginning of the year is close, there is a surplus of art teachers (at least where I'm from, not sure about your area). The first school shouldn't have too hard of a time finding a suitable candidate to take the job. Best of luck, I hope you get what is good for you!
     
  8. GTB4GT

    GTB4GT Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2011
    Messages:
    747
    Likes Received:
    143

    Jul 29, 2014

    This. Reasonable and professional people will understand. The one's who don't typically won't be good people to work for in the long run. When I was hiring people, I have had people in the job market back out on me. I certainly respected that person's decision to take what he/she perceived to be a better job and would not have held that against them in future hiring decisions. In fact, I have rehired some people who left for other opportunities that for some reason or another didn't work out for them.
     
  9. Moogeeg

    Moogeeg Companion

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2014
    Messages:
    106
    Likes Received:
    2

    Jul 29, 2014

    Good point! It is also all in the delivery, too. If you end up backing out on your offer, be upfront and let the admin know what has happened as soon as you can. I have heard of candidates simply ceasing to respond to communication or being shady in other ways. Again, it is YOUR LIFE and you need to do what is best for you!
     
  10. vickilyn

    vickilyn Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2014
    Messages:
    10,540
    Likes Received:
    2,594

    Jul 29, 2014

    If it is a substantial improvement in your lot in life - more money, a lot less travel time, better suited to your endorsements - you are honest and contrite, but probably justified from declining the first offer at the end of the day. That said, I am talking about big money differences and lots of differences in commute time. I believe, however, that you MAY be burning that bridge. School districts tend to have long memories and have so many candidates for most jobs that you burning them with the late change of heart will probably not be washed away. The real question in that situation is why you would even want to consider them later when you don't think they are good enough for you now? That is exactly what I would be asking myself as the hiring guru. Just a different take on the situation.
     
  11. gr3teacher

    gr3teacher Phenom

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2013
    Messages:
    4,256
    Likes Received:
    794

    Jul 29, 2014

    I personally would not burn that bridge, but ultimately it's your decision.
     
  12. readingrules12

    readingrules12 Aficionado

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    3,052
    Likes Received:
    520

    Jul 29, 2014

    You already made a decision to accept the 1st job. It is too late to accept a different job without getting into some trouble. You verbally told that employer you would accept. If you don't, that 1st P can call that 2nd P where you want to get hired and that 2nd P might dismiss you from a contract and you will end up with no contract, and your name could be like mud in your area. It is also possible, although probably not likely, that they could go after your teaching certificate for hiring onto another school after you made a verbal agreement. Verbal agreements do mean something in education. It isn't worth the risk.

    Take the 1st job, don't interview at the 2nd job, and congratulations to you in getting hired at your new teaching job. :)
     
  13. teachart

    teachart Comrade

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2012
    Messages:
    443
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 29, 2014

    Although it's an unpopular opinion on this forum, all of my mentor teachers and professors have advised me to continue interviewing even after I accepted an offer.

    I ignored their advice last year and regret it with my entire heart. This year, I'm looking out for myself. I accepted an offer for a school 45 minutes away but continue to interview in the schools I live by.
     
  14. LadyLuna

    LadyLuna New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 29, 2014

    Thank you so much, everyone! You all have really helped me greatly. I definitely don't want to go back on my word, and it makes me feel sick just thinking about having to do that. Ultimately, I just think that if it's a decision I end up having to make it will be because the other school ends up being just absolutely perfect and there's no way I can turn it down. No school is perfect though...but I just want to get that "good feeling" when I'm there.
     
  15. GTB4GT

    GTB4GT Cohort

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2011
    Messages:
    747
    Likes Received:
    143

    Jul 29, 2014

    2 thoughts. 1) what did you learn from the replies that you didn't already know in your gut?
    2) The "good feeling" is what you are after....go to whichever one "feels" the best. The $ is less important in terms of job satisfaction than working environment.
     
  16. queenie

    queenie Groupie

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    Messages:
    1,392
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jul 29, 2014

    They are looking out for THEM- they forced your hand by giving you a TWO hour window in which to respond. They just want to fill the position, obviously. I used to think it would be awful to accept a job and then change your mind, but it's actually not unusual at all for admin to have to find someone to fill a position at the last minute and someone will be extremely happy to get it if you end up bowing out. Just make sure the interview school is a near perfect fit! I was put on transfer one year and accepted another position, then my transfer was rescinded so I had the choice of going back to my old position or keeping the new job. I went back and couldn't be happier!
     
  17. 3Sons

    3Sons Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2007
    Messages:
    2,020
    Likes Received:
    179

    Jul 29, 2014

    It might be a good idea to seek out the advice of the union or union attorneys on it...
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. MrsC,
  2. futuremathsprof,
  3. Backroads,
  4. Sarge,
  5. dcnuck13,
  6. blazer
Total: 373 (members: 6, guests: 346, robots: 21)
test