help a sister out?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by #1 Mrs. H, Aug 13, 2007.

1. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 13, 2007

Okay---trying to help friend who got the interview I wanted....need to come up with a 15 min mini lesson to teach VOICE. The position is for 7th grade Lang Arts. We are having difficulty particularly in the realm of assessment.
    One option we had was to have students listen to 2 different versions of the same song and note the differences in voice. Class would discuss reasons why the voice seemed different (era, male/female, etc). When listening, they were supposed to jot down emotions/thoughts that each song evoked. Again, the problem here is assessment.

Any other lesson ideas, or assessment help with this plan would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

3. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 13, 2007

Just curious. Is this lesson on voice supposed to be musical, or more the voice an author has when writing?

4. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 13, 2007

Voice as is an author's writing....as in one of the Six Traits of Writing.

5. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 13, 2007

Thats what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure. I think if it were me, I would go in the direction of using passages of writing instead of music. I'm afraid using music might not be as clear as you want it to be. I don't really have any ideas for specific lesson plans. I would look online and see what you can find. Assessment can be as informal as verbally asking students questions to make sure they understand and can process/apply the information. I think it's better to have the students produce something using the topic though. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything new though. I guess all I can say is good luck!

6. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 13, 2007

7. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 13, 2007

Ok. I have the perfect book. It's called "Seedfolks". It's a tiny little book that costs hardly anything. There are a bunch of lesson plan ideas on the internet. Each chapter is written from the perspective of a different character in the book. So, each chapter has a different voice.

8. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 13, 2007

That's an awesome idea Exclaimation Po... I LOVE that book, and you're right, tons of different voices.

9. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 14, 2007

kiraj I actually have the book and the lesson plan in my portfolio. I love the book!

10. #1 Mrs. H

#1 Mrs. H Companion

Aug 14, 2007

Thanks so much for all of your ideas!!! I knew you could help!