Help a new student teacher with a lesson, please?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherperson, Oct 29, 2016.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Oct 29, 2016

I'm student teaching in 3rd grade. On Monday, I need to introduce fact and opinion. The regular classroom teacher gave me an article to use called All About Spiders which has a bunch of facts about spiders. Do you have any ideas of how I can use this article in a lesson no longer than 10-15 minutes to introduce fact and opinion? I've been kind of stumped.

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 29, 2016

This might go over your time limit but this is something I might do with my 4th graders:
    1. "I do" Introduce fact vs. opinion using an anchor chart. Here is an example using pumpkins but you could easily adapt it to spiders: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/100768110386661156/
    2. "We do" I bring students to the carpet during this time. I would have students come up with different facts and opinions they might already know about spiders to add to the anchor chart.
    3. "We do" I would then have students work in small groups (perhaps at their tables). Give each group a sentence about spiders. Their job is to decide whether or not it is a fact or opinion. Have each group put their sentence on the board under the right category and go over them together.
    4. "You do" Have students use the article and a graphic organizer to create a list of both facts and opinions on spiders. The graphic organizer could be as easy as a line down the middle of notebook paper or something printed like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3e/12/90/3e12907579f8b2ee4f64ba750367f319.jpg
    5. The end. Hope this helps!! : D

Luv2TeachInTX and Obadiah like this.
  4. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Oct 29, 2016

When I have 3rd graders discern fact from opinion, sometimes a student will ask, "But if I don't know whether it's true or not, how can I identify it as a fact or opinion?" In other words, they confuse the assignment with a true and false test thinking facts are true and opinions are false. I explain to them it's not their job to determine if the statements are true or false, but how they are written or presented. So, for example, "Spiders are ugly/cute/beautiful" would be an opinion. "Spiders have 8 legs would be written factually, even if the student has never had the opportunity to count the legs on spiders. I agree with shoreline02 that a graphic organizer would be the best teaching tool. This early in the year, because it's an introductory lesson and some students might still be needing an extra boost with non-fiction, I probably would give each student a copy of the article and read it aloud to them. I'm unsure, due to your time limit, if you'll be expected to do guided or independent practice. If it's just a teacher directed activity, I would use a few sample sentences to show how to discriminate fact from opinion, then I would let the students scan their copy for other examples. An interactive whiteboard or an overhead projector are great for typing/writing these onto a graphic organizer. Rather than answering "right" or "wrong", I would ask the student to explain their determination. For incorrect answers, I would redirect the student by complementing and encouraging the thinking s/he used to make her/his determination and guide into further exploration of the sentence. For correct answers, I would use the same procedure, except obviously no redirection is necessary. Sometimes iffy sentences pop up and students have good reasons for being undecided about which category to place the sentence. Those are fun discussions, and frankly, when they occur, I think it increases the learning of the objective.