Help, a few of my kids are driving me..........

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mom2sands, Nov 28, 2011.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Nov 28, 2011

CRAZY!

I have a couple of kids who are way over the top--who demand things--such as a certain color paper, a new eraser, break their pencils so that they must be sharpened, take things from others, question authority and talk back. One is especially overbearing--by the end of the day, I am done! How can I like this student? I've made deals with her (if...then), tried behavior charts--she is bossy, whiney, a crybaby when she gets in trouble or when she doesn't get her way. Parents say that she's the same way at home. Any suggestions?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2011

Choice:
    You can have this color or that color paper....keep repeating in a zen-like tone until she chooses one that you arre offering.

Ignoring:
    Ignore out of turn talking, talking back

Consequences:
    "I can't understand you when you talk like that(whining). I'll be happy to listen when you are ready to talk like a big girl"

You get two pencils. If you break both of them, you'll have to write with a crayon.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2011

Do parents want to change the behaviors?

Can you set up an area for her to go to when she begins to act in these inappropriate ways in the classroom or within the school?

5. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Nov 29, 2011

Wow! I must be a mean teacher. I don't give my kinders choices as to what color paper, etc. They do get to choose their seats but that is about it. You have to whip those kids in to shape! Try some natural consequences... I.e. if she is throwing a fit because she didn't get the eraser she wanted, then she doesn't get an eraser. I don't advise "make deals" with them. Remember, YOU ARE THE TEACHER! She is five. Make it clear you will not tolerate her behavior. You run the class, not her...you call the shots! Do not enable her! I have had a few students like this...I didn't ask them to behave, I demanded it. Instead of saying, "would you sit down. I say, sit down please!" After a month-6weeks, it was completely under control. Ie. One little one in particular would cry and refuse to put her crayons away when I told her to...so I confiscated her crayons and she had to use her pencil the entire day. If your student breaks her pencil on purpose, make her use a crayon... I say, "Oh no! You are having to use a crayon like they do in Pre-k! When you start to act like a kindergartener, I will give you a pencil to use, like the other kindergarteners!" Let her throw a fit...you aren't there to make her happy, but to ensure a learning environment for all the children!

6. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Nov 29, 2011

I don't give choices about which color of paper they want because everyone would want a choice, and there's no time for that. I have pastel-colored newsprint. The exception is that I don't give boys pink. Scissor handle color is an issue for some. You get what you get--end of story.

I've tried all of the suggestions. The one student would cry for 10 minutes over something like paper color, not just pout. Talked to parents numerous times--she's the same way at home. I don't budge--she must learn that she's not the only student in the classroom! According to the punishment at home is to have her stand at the wall and hold cans in her hands or pick up rocks outside. I praise her when she does well and give her our ESD rewards (paws) when earned. There is a get-it-together seat that she goes to, but this just makes her cry louder since she's further away and obviously wants to be heard.

Honestly, if I had not had children before I started teaching, I would seriously have had second thoughts after dealing with some of these kids. All of the enjoyable aspects of teaching have been sucked away this year--not just the kids, but other things as well....really stinks because I used to look forward to teaching---:huh:

7. lwag14

lwag14 Rookie

Nov 30, 2011

I agree with everything that MandaNicole01 said. It's your classroom, you're in charge. This girl has to learn that it's what you say that goes not what she wants. I work in a nursery-1st grade school. We often take students who misbehave the way you describe and put them in the nursery to let them know that they're behaving like babies. I don't enjoy sending my kids out of the classroom so I’m more prone to threatening to send them to the "babies’ room" than actually doing it. You could also try focusing on the positive in the classroom. In the five years that I've been teaching this is the first year that I've seen positive reinforcement really work with a class. I make a point of pointing out who is sitting the right way, who wrote their name quickly and neatly and has there pencil down, and who isn't talking during work time? I've always used this approach in my classroom, but this is the first year that I've seen the so-called "troublemakers" in the class try to behave themselves so that they can get praised with the rest of the class.

8. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Nov 30, 2011

Thanks for the advice

I've tried the positive praise for those doing the right thing, but it has a very short-term effect for these couple of kids. One is just a crybaby whenever she doesn't get her way, which is often because she is very demanding. She just doesn't seem to get it, no matter the consequence! Hoping that something will click soon!

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Dec 1, 2011

I am having a similar problem. This one girl just refuses to do things. I've tried being nice, being tough, moving her color. Until she decides to do it herself, then she is NOT doing it. Uggh. She totally stresses me out! But I will win this!