Help!!!4 job offers!!!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by atltappteacher, Jun 11, 2007.

1. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I live in Metro Atlanta. I am in the Georgia TAPP program (alternative certification). I orginally entered the program to teach middle school math. I am also qualified to teach social studies and special ed.

I interviewed with 7 schools in the past 2 weeks and I have received 4 job offers, 3 of which are for special ed positions...

I have narrowed my choices down to two.

The first school is a charter school in a great location and has a great principal. The principal offered me an Interrelated Special Ed position. I would be in an inclusion class for social studies and science, then I would do pull-out for math and language arts. I will not have my own classroom. The school is great, but I am not so sure about teaching special ed. I guess I just don't know what to expect. I heard that the paperwork/meetings can be overwhelming for a new teacher. I am also afraid of being stuck teaching spec ed.

The other school is in a not so great area. It is a low performing school with little parental involvement. I was offered a reg ed Math position. I will have my own classroom.

I am leaning more towards the math position because I would only have 1 prep and I would have my own classroom. However, I really loved the atmosphere of the charter school.

I guess my question is, which would you choose? Reg ed math or Interrelated Special Ed?

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

First of all, congratulations!

Is the pay the same at both? How long has the charter been operating? Some of them around here don't last too long.

I probably would go with the math position - but I like math.

Good luck deciding.

4. adria

adria Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Think long term what do you see yourself doing a year from now..

5. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

It is a conversion charter school. It converted last year. The pay is the same at both.

6. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 11, 2007

I work with someone who has decided to leave special ed, and go back into the classroom. She says there is too much paperwork, and too many meeting. I would also suggest that you decide where you see yourself a year from now. Congrats on getting into the TAPP program. I just finished it. It is a great program.

7. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I would go with the charter because that is the one that sounds like it has the best atmosphere, plus parental involvement is essential and then maybe next year you can have your own classroom.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

Keep in mind though: principals leave. Administrations change. There's no promise that the administration you met with in the spring will still be running things in the fall.

I think I would go for the JOB I wanted, not the people. The job is less likely to change.

9. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

I would go for the math one. To me, having my own classroom is REALLY important. And I personally would not want to do special ed for the same reason you mentioned--getting stuck in it.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

I would go for the math one. I love having my own classroom and can't imagine having to trot around the entire school without a place to put my posters and marble busts of the Caesars.

Also I'm hesitant about charter schools. I've heard nothing but terrible things about them from every single person I've ever known who's worked in one or been affiliated with one.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 11, 2007

I'd go with the math and my own classroom.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2007

I would go for the math one too as well I just spent a year in spec ed. I did have my own room. But I was rarely in it teaching. My position was the behavior teacher and case manager for k-2 spec ed students. It is very rare for someone who gets into spec ed to be able to leave after the first year. Not sure how I managed it but I did.

13. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jun 11, 2007

I think I would go for the math. Especially being a first year teacher. I think there is more stability in a classroom and one prep. Also, when you see the "light bulbs" come on for those students, it will probably be more rewarding. I also think you should consider if the school has a mentor program, a new teacher training, and will there be other teachers in the same subject and grade that you can plan lessons with and collaborate? Choose what you feel is best for you. Also, remember, if this is like the alternative certification program I'm in, after one year, you will be fully certified in the area you teach for that first year/internship, and then you are more marketable to go anywhere you want if you're not happy with the first assignment. Good luck to you!

14. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jun 11, 2007

The position with my own classroom.

I just can't imagine having to work day in and day out with so many other teachers, administrators, and students, without any final say in the matter.

15. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 11, 2007

As a candidate in the TAPP program you would have a mentor and a field supervisor. Lots of support.

16. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

If I were you, I would go with the Math position. I am a special education teacher dreaming of a chance to get out and teach math. The paperwork is the most overwhelming part--in some districts they will return it to you many times over until you dot every I and cross every T. There are just too many rules involved with special education students and how they can be taught and disciplined. I think you would enjoy your first year more in your own classroom teaching one subject. Good luck in whatever you choose! I am still in that dreaded state of praying for the phone to ring!

17. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

Thank you for your advice. I have decided to go with the math position. I'll be teaching 6th grade remedial math and 8th grade Algebra. I'm so excited! :)

18. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

Good Luck and Best Wishes

19. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 12, 2007

Which district?

20. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

Cobb County

21. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 12, 2007

Congratulations!

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2007

Congrats!!

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2007

I think you made the right decision. Your first post sort of said it for you. You didn't want to get stuck in spec ed. You have to truly love and want to teach spec ed to go into the field. Good luck!

24. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Jun 12, 2007

Once you go special ed, it is hard to get out. Go for the regular ed position. I am living this life right now and I am going to have to get a paraprofessional job to prove myself "worthy" to get a regular ed position instead of a special ed position!

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

Congrats!!!! Another math teacher here :)

26. ttot83

ttot83 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I also was just hired with Cobb County teaching 8th grade math and i will be going through the OYSP. Congrats

27. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

What school will you be teaching at?

28. ttot83

ttot83 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Lindley

29. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

ME TOO!!!! I had accepted the previous position at another school in Cobb, but Lindley just called me a couple of days ago and offered me a position. I will be the Math Connections teacher.

30. ttot83

ttot83 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

That is so GREAT! Im excited and ready to began. I got a good vibe when I went for the interview. Will you be attending the new teacher institute?

31. atltappteacher

atltappteacher Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I plan on going to the July 24 session. I'm excited too! I'm sure you and I will be working closely together and we will probably share some students.

32. ttot83

ttot83 Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

I will also be attending the session on the 24 I will definitely be looking for you.

33. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 19, 2007

Just wanted to add my congratulations to both of you. Cobb is a great system to work for.

34. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Jun 19, 2007

Congrats! Choices are great, but they will make you tear your hair out!

If it were me, I would choose the math position. You would have your own room and the lack of any personal space at all at the charter school would get to me. So would traveling around from room to room. Plus, is the math in a public school? Wouldn't that make the benefits better?