HELP! 3rd grade assembly ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherspet24, Apr 5, 2005.

1. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Apr 5, 2005

The third graders have to put on an assembly this month and I am at a loss. :eek: I do not want to copy what the others are doing, and I do not want to do a play where I have to make props. Does anyone have any ideas that are interesting and wont take a lot of time away from teaching to practice. It should be about 5-10 minutes in length.

All ideas welcome! :D

3. camcdade

camcdade Comrade

Apr 5, 2005

Since April is National Poetry Month how about...
    -students read a favorite poem
    - students read poems they have written
    - students give dramatic presentations of poems

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 5, 2005

I never did it because we never had time, but one of the ladies I teach with said her 4th graders did a show like the Louisiana Hayride (different singers) Maybe you could do 50's music (fun for everyone to dance to) or simply a talent show for the kids. We always did planet elections. (They already had that name when I came here, I have no idea where it came from! :D) At that point their were 3 classes. We each took 3 planets and made plays or songs for them. For example, one year I had Pluto. I chose to re-write Old Time Rock and Roll. The song started with "I like to travel to Pluto, It's way out in the universe you know..." It was hilarious. Although the HeeHaw show came off much better! :D

5. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Apr 6, 2005

What is the Louisiana Hayride?

6. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Apr 6, 2005

This sounds good, but 2 of the classes are already doing poems. I don't want the audience to get bored. Any other suggestions

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 6, 2005

when i was in 4th grade, we had to make up songs...

most of us wrote new words to existing songs... it was a fun project, and lots of got pretty creative... perhaps you could have a couple of those?

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 7, 2005

I love using songs in my classroom (so do the kids). What you do needs to depend on how much time you have before the big day. You could have your class create a song (based on another or make up one), or a short movie. What about a movie trailer? You could have an announcer, some students to act out part of a scene, and some movie patrons (with their personal reviews). Yes I can picture it now: Coming to a school room near you. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you might even have to go to the pricipals office...
    Okay, I need to stop. I'm laughing at myself. :D My kids would love to do something like this. What do you think?

9. William Strange

William Strange New Member

Apr 7, 2005

If you have a music program in your school try writing a school song with input from all the kids and then perform it on stage.

10. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Apr 8, 2005

Miss W.
    I like your movie trailer idea. I just have to come up with some made up movies that the kids could act out. Maybe we can even do some commercials like the Mastercard priceless commercials.

Thanks everyone for your input. If anyone else has an epihany, let me know.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 9, 2005

You could perform songs with a patriotic theme, maybe have them write short info pieces about patriotic landmarks and make posters, too.

12. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 9, 2005

Yes, you could act out scenes of movies or commercials even. How about re-enacting historical events like the signing of the Declaration of Independance, the speech given by Lincoln at Gettysburg, or the 'I Have A Dream' speech given by Dr. King. In the case of the latter two, you could have one dressed as Lincoln or Dr. King and have the others dressed in clothes of that time sitting in chairs or whatnot listening to the speech. It shouldn't take them that long to get through a speech, should it?

13. teacherspet24

teacherspet24 Rookie

Apr 9, 2005

My husband and I sat up last night coming up with a script. It is a spoof on tv and commercials. We have Ebert and Roper (I hope that's his name) critiquing a movie called "My Missing Homework", We have two commercials--One is a spoof on the Mastercard Priceless commercials and one is the singular "I can hear you now" We also have Soul Train and a spoof on a reality show "Kid Factor" Each bit is pretty short and it should keep the audiences attention. If anyone wants to see it or needs a copy for their upcoming assembly, Email me.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 10, 2005

How funny! I can't wait to see how it goes. The kids will have a great time doing it.