Help!! 30 min demo lesson last part of interview process!!!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Brittany Anne, May 8, 2016.

1. Brittany Anne

Brittany Anne Rookie

May 8, 2016

So I have a demo lesson for a 3rd grade class in the subject of ELA. They didn't give me any real subject or what they are working on just ELA is the content... If course!! I did one demo lesson last few months and bombed it, too long and just too much information ... The teacher panel gave me advice 8 to 12 mins is my "I do" and "we do" then grab them back for wrap up and closure! 8 to 12 mins really ...any ideas please help! I need a way to quickly introduce engage and then teach I do... Then have them do it during we do... I love the think pair share idea and stop and asking questions so I know I can keep them engaged im just freaking out ..,. I need to figure this out!!

Please help!!
    Britt

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 8, 2016

I would choose a specific reading skill (e.g. main idea, predictions, inferences, etc.) and do a mini-lesson with an authentic text. Do a read aloud where you guide them through the process, and then assign them partner/independent work with a graphic organizer.

4. Brittany Anne

Brittany Anne Rookie

May 8, 2016

Oh ok, that sounds good as long as They are engaged with my guiding questions . I think I struggle with a text that is too long. If I do predictions should I start by going over you know definition of making predictions then possibly looking at the title or picture of the cover and make some predictions before we read and then during the guided reading stop every little bit and ask questions that lead up to what the book might be about...after have the graphic organizer or a small writing assignment on if their prediction was correct yes or no maybe even work with a partner to compare and contrast each other's predictions? Does that sound okay

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 8, 2016

I would suggest a short picture book... I taught a lesson on predictions for a second grade demo lesson last year using the book The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. It worked well because the students knew the traditional version of story and were able to make predictions on how this book was similar. I extended my objective to not only making predictions but also to revising and confirming them as we read. So we started by making predictions and writing it on chart paper (a large t-chart graphic organizer), and then I would stop periodically so that we could check to see if our prediction was correct (confirming it) or revising it and adding new predictions as needed.

Yes, I would start by gauging their background knowledge. Present the lesson objective and have them tell you what they already know about making predictions. You might also discuss "citing text evidence" to justify their predictions. After your lesson, you might have them work independently or with a partner to make, revise, and confirm predictions using a self-selected text or one that you make copies of and distribute to them. You might also not have time for this part of the lesson and can simply write a lesson plan and explain to the people observing you that this is the activity you have students engage in after the lesson if it was your own class and you had more time. If you need to have them do something independently as part of your lesson, then I would go with your idea of a small writing assignment. Something like a brief exit ticket in which they have to write about one prediction that they or the class made and explain whether the prediction was correct or not, citing text evidence to justify what they write. Then have a few students share their writing as a closing to your lesson.