Help!16 boys/1girl kindergarten class

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by eleanor, Aug 30, 2005.

1. eleanor

eleanor New Member

Aug 30, 2005

Help, any strategies and suggestions for teaching to a kindergarten class of 16 boys and 1 girl!! How do you suggest dealing with the lone girl being surrounding by 16 boys?
    School has not yet started and so it is a possibility that the parents of the girl may want to take their daugther out of this class. This would create an all male class and how to deal with a unique situation.
    I am excited about this class as I know that boys and girls do learn differently, but I want to make sure their needs are met.
    Anyone out there that has experienced something like this before and have some words of wisdom?
    Eleanor

3. jkkroll

jkkroll Rookie

Aug 30, 2005

I had a very similar situation last year and my best advice is be prepared for movement. Little boys never seem to be able to stay still. I also brought in a lot of sports themed lessons.

I'm glad you are excited. It was hard for me because I am a really "girly" girl.

Good Luck!

4. kinderteacher1

kinderteacher1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005

Can you school re-assign students so that your class is more diverse? Our school is really good about making sure every class has a pretty close amount of boys and girls (unless there are hardly any of one registering). That just seems difficult to have that many boys and only 1 girl.