Hello

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by charli, Jul 6, 2003.

1. charli

charli Guest

Jul 6, 2003

Welcome! This is a great place to visit, vent and find help and comfort. I have been a first grade teacher for 13 yrs and am moving to 4th grade. So, if I can be of any help, let me know!

3. ellie25

ellie25 Rookie

Jul 28, 2003

Hey Charli! I am in the same situation that you are. Last year I taught 1st grade and this year will be teaching 4th for the first time. I am a little nervous about the change! Please give me some ideas on how to make the transition smooth- I would love some thoughts on what to do with them the first few days of school. I am used to giving diagonstic testing with 1st grade but have no ideas on what tests I should do with 4th graders to get a feel for them and the skills that they are coming to me with. Any ideas would be great!
    -ellie

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2003

I will be seeking both of your advice being "veteran" 1st grade teachers. I will be teaching 1st for the 1st time!!! I know I wasn't "in" 4th, but I did sub there for quite awhile!!! Anything I can help you with let me know!!! :)

5. cherryvoliva

cherryvoliva Rookie

Aug 9, 2003

To the teachers asking for advice about 4th grade, I'm DEFINITELY no expert (since I'll be starting my second year of teaching and second year of teaching 4th grade), but I can tell you some of the things I did that were successful in my classroom. As far as the beginning of the year things, I did some diagnostic things and plan to do even more this year. I did a lot of fun things with them too the first couple days (like reading to them--I found out that they LOVE to be read to--even if it's a picture book that some might consider to be too young for 4th graders--like Patricia Polacco's books, The Mixed up Chameleon, The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs, etc. I like to use children's books to supplement all subjects.) Anyway, the first couple days, I read to them, had them do a writing activity,had them do get to know you games, and had them do some activities that allowed me to get to know them (such as a cute glyph that expressed their personalities and also was used later for my bulletin board!) This year, I'm going to expand on those things and also do a basic math assessment including addition (involving carrying), subtraction (some of which require borrowing), multiplication (1 and 2 digits), and some simple division. In 4th grade, we didn't get to longer division until later in the year,so most of the kids coming in didn't have much prior division experience. I'll also probably throw in some measurement problems, word problems, comparision problems (greater than and less than), basic fractions, etc.
    I hope this was helpful... :)

6. Helper

Helper Rookie

Sep 2, 2003

This may seem like an akward piece of advice but handle your 4th grade just like your 1st grade in a higher level.