Hello!

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by Muse, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Muse

Muse Rookie

Jan 10, 2006

Hi All - I recently said hello in the introduction forum, and now I'm here!

I've recently been hired on as a Teacher's Assistant/Daycare Teacher in a great Montessori School!

Our school runs from Toddler - Kindergarten with afterschool daycare until 6pm.

Our toddler class is split into two groups - My class is 18m - 2.5. Then the kids move into the next toddler class until they are ready for preschool.

School is from 9am-3:30pm. My lead is in the room from 7am (morning daycare) until 3:30pm, when we switch to evening Daycare and I take over the few leftover children who stay on until 6. I combine my group with the assistant from the older group for those last few hours.

I am having a lot of fun. My lead teacher is really great - her mother was a Montessori teacher, so she grew up in the same schools we're in right now. I'm learning a ton about the Montessori Method from her, and it's only my second day!

Everyone has been great, and really patient with me knowing that I'm new to Montessori, and new to working in a school in general. (I recently got out of Accounting to pursue teaching). The toddler group is a bit more challenging than I anticipated, but I'm already in love with all of my kids and I'm really glad I have this age group right now.

I'm currently going back to school at 27 to teach! I'm at a 2 year school right now, majoring in Early Childhood Development. My plans are to have my 12 ECE units at the end of 2006, get an AS in ECD and then get a four year degree. (Elem Edu perhaps).

I am still torn on teaching Montessori for a career, or in an inner-city elementary school. I adore Montessori, but I also want to help where help (and teachers that care) are needed most. My plan for now is to get Cred, get Montessori Certified, and perhaps take some Montessori -inspired teaching to some high risk kids.

We'll see.

For now, I'm loving what I do, and excited to learn more from my school and all of you! I'll probably ask a ton of questions!

3. Muse

Muse Rookie

Feb 4, 2006

Not very active forum here, huh.

:(

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Feb 4, 2006

Unfortunately, the montessori forum isn't as active as most of the other areas of this site.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 4, 2006

Welcome to AtoZ, Muse. I know I read your post on the other forum, but I don't check Montessori myself. My school has Montessori K, which I subbed in and loved, but traditional 1st through 8th. It sounds like a great position for you. There is much you can relate to on all the forums here, though. Don't get discouraged!!

6. Pattypoo

Pattypoo Comrade

Feb 4, 2006

Welcome to the wonderful world of Montessori! I am so glad tha you like your position. My son attended a Montessori from prescool-6th grade. He is now in a traditional type of private school. I am a Montessori directress for ages 3-K. I was assistant before going for my certification. You will be so much more prepared just by being in a classroom with a strong lead teacher. A good book to get that will help you in the classroom is the "Teachers Bag of Tricks" by Greg Nelson. It is so useful and one of the best resources that you can have. The ordering info: Greg Nelson
    Dept. of Elementary & Early Childhood
    Education
    Bridgewater State College
    Bridgewater, MA 02325
    The cost is $20 plus 1.50 for S & H. It is worth every penny!

Good luck! I hope you achieve your goals.

7. nutrasweet122

nutrasweet122 New Member

Feb 16, 2006

Muse,
    I did my student teaching last semester in our city public school district. It was an urban shcool, which was a Montessori magnet school as well. While, due to some state regulations the Montessori method could not be followed exactly, it was ran very well. I loved it there! I don't know what schools are like where you live, but maybe you could find a similar situation. It is the best of both worlds!!

8. Feb 16, 2006

What city is your school located in? I'm looking for my kids :)

9. nutrasweet122

nutrasweet122 New Member

Feb 17, 2006

I live in Indianapolis. There are a total of 3 schools in the district ran this way. From what I have heard they are each ran a little differently. Also, since the schools are a magnet program an application form gets filled out. This is only for the lottery. Not everyone who wants to go to the schools can becuase of class room sizes. No one is excluded on basis of race, gender, need, etc. The way I undersatnd, the lottery is done on a first come first served basis. After "2nd grade" they do not allow new students, because of the nature of the Montesorri method. They wouldn't know the background knowledge to be able to use the materials, and other ways of instruction.

10. Kerana5

Kerana5 Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

Nutrasweet, that is weird, but kind of understandable. The school where I worked allowed children to join all the way through to the first 2 months of 6th grade.

They found that with other children's help the new child caught up very quickly. Also, giving lessons to the new child help the veteran students understand what they were learning much better. They were able to internalize it.

Like they say, you learn things better once you've had to teach them.