Hello :)

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachornurse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. teachornurse

teachornurse Rookie

Feb 10, 2010

Hi. I am trying to figure out what I want to go back to school for. Teacher or nurse. If I do go for teaching, I would be interested in preschool up to first grade. I am so undecided! For a long time it was definitely nursing, before that, I had considered teaching a little.. now I have 2 kids.. oldest is 2 :).... and watching them grow and learn is amazing and fun. I love it. I would love to learn more about children and make a difference :) Another great thing about teaching.. that is now VERY important to me is the time off. I wouldn't have to worry about snow days:) and I would get vacations off with my kids..also I would not have to work holidays or weekends and these are all things I would have to do as a nurse! I just feel like I have been set on nursing for so long, that if I don't do it I might regret it...but I really do not want to work weekends and holidays and miss my family time :)..and I am now very interested in teaching kids, not just because of the time off! Any advice would be appreciated :) thanks!

3. Kase

Kase Companion

Feb 10, 2010

Did you ever look into being a pediatrician...you would be in the medical field and helping children. They also have health screeners that go around to different childcare facilities and screen the children. But that is a toughy. Which ever you decide will be a good choice. You can never have enough of both!

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2010

They are so different, I know myself I could Never be a nurse. I would pass out at the sight of needles, blood.

Maybe you can volunteer in a school a couple of days or shadow and nurse to get more of a sense of what each does before you invest 4 years of your life and lots and lots of $$$ when you are not 100% passionate about it.

Also, it doesnt say where you live but around here there are 400 teacher candidates to every 1 position. I dont know the stats for nurses but I dont think it could be that bad.

OR...how about being at Occupational Therapist...you have to take many classes that you would have to take to be a nurse yet you would be working in a school.

Or you could always be a school nurse if the hours/vacations were an issue.

Just some food for thought, Follow your gut.

5. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

I'm not sure about where you live, but here, we have to work most snow days when the kids are at home. We do get leave days, but for the first four years in my district, those are already taken. I've come to school on every snowday this year. (I work in a public school.) Most private preschools are open a lot more than the public schools anyway.

As for weekends, yeah, technically you get those off, but I don't know a teacher who is not doing lesson planning, creating materials, doing assessments/grading papers, etc. on the weekend. As far as I know, as a nurse, once you're off duty, you're not working on stuff at home.

I'm not trying to discourage you from being a teacher, but it's not an easy job by any means. I agree, you should see about shadowing a teacher and if you get the chance, ask them what they work on at home and how much family time they have.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

I LOVE teaching, and recommend it highly.

But there are a few misconceptions in your post:

a) It's rare that you can decide what grade or level you'll teach. Check the certification in your state, Mine is "Math 7-12." That means that I can (and actually have) been asked to teach each and every grade level in that span.

b) Days off: Unless you're in the same district as your kids, there will probably be some days when your schedules don't jive. Even if you ARE in the same district, there will be some days when you have conferences or meetings and your kids don't. And there are the inevitable days when one of your kids is sick. My husband and I are in Catholic high schools and our kids attend public schools. Today was a near miss on a problem; our kids' schools called today a snow day hours before mine, and my husband's school didn't call it until this morning. So be aware that, while for the most part you enjoy days off together, it's stil sometimes an issue.

c) As a teacher, wanting to teach really HAS to be one of your top reasons for entering the field. The convenience is wonderful. But the time off doesn't compensate for not loving what you do.

I love teaching; if I had it all to do over again I would still be teaching and still in my current school.

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Feb 11, 2010

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. You can always tell the teachers who LOVE teaching apart from the ones who don't. I teach Pre-K and have 2 young children of my own. I spend A LOT of time outside of the classroom planning, prepping, assessing, researching, etc. Also, my summers are spent doing the same. It is a total myth that teachers have summers off!!
    I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else! Follow your heart!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2010

While I do a bit of schoolwork during the summer, I must admit that mine are largely "off."

I do prep in the wee hours of the morning at my convenience. At this point in my career, there's not a ton of prep to do; I can walk into almost any class in the building and teach whatever is being covered. My summers are all about my family, and it's a wonderful perk.

But it took me several decades to get to that point.

9. HappyLearning

HappyLearning Rookie

Feb 11, 2010

I personally think that teaching is the BEST career in the world. I know lots of people, like you, who are passionate about education and nursing. I have friends who have done both! Here are a few of my thoughts:

If you want snow days/spring breaks/summers, etc you're going to want to teach in a public school. Many private schools don't get the breaks. At my Head Start, we go year-round. As for prep time, it is greatly up to you how much time you want to spend outside of the classroom.

I hate to be the first one to bring this up... but on average, nurses make considerably more than teachers. Money isnt what will make you happy in your job, but if you cannot meet your family's basic needs, you'll be unhappy no matter what kind of work you do.

In my experience, I have never been asked to teach a grade I did not want to teach

To reiterate the others... teaching is a job that requires blood, sweat and tears! (I'm sure nursing is too) I love the idea of shadowing a teacher for a week and seeing how it feels to you. Good luck! You're making an amazing contribution to your community in either career.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 11, 2010

most pre-schools are in private child care centers and they tend to remain open when public schools are closed. I can tell you the pay is definitley better for nursing.

11. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Feb 12, 2010

I am a change of career teacher. I worked for the state for 10 years before I took time off to raise my family. When my children went to preschool, they went to a cooperative one where I worked in their classroom at least once a month. This is what made me want to change careers. I LOVED being in the classroom and when many parents were trying to give up some of their days, I gladly took them. I can't imagine doing anything else!

12. teachornurse

teachornurse Rookie

Feb 12, 2010

thanks!

:blush:Thank you all so much for responding! I understand that there is a lot of homework that comes along with teaching and thats okay:) I just love kids, I love crafts and helping them learn. I know I would love that part of the job..will I be able to handle so many kids in one class???? I helped out at my sisters preschool a few years ago..( we have a big age difference between us!).. and I loved it. I also took child development in highschool (years ago!) and loved going to work at the preschool. I am very interested in the classes involved that I would have to take, and the salary of a teacher would work out fine as long as my husband doesn't lose his job!!!! :)
    I also know I love nursing! I was a CNA for 10 years.. at my first job, the nurses used to let me help them out in any way I could legally or atleast let me watch what they did that was more interesting than the med pass :)
    This is why the choice is so tough!!!! I know I would be very happy working with little kids. It does seem that I might have an easier time getting a nursing job?( I live in MA) I don't want to go to school at my age, already having kids that I have to help support and then not be able to find a job...but then again the same thing could happen with nursing.I also can't decide if I would rather work weekends so that way I am around more during the week..or if the days off I would get w teaching would be better? I know this decision is not as hard as I am making it!!! :) I am just afraid of doing the wrong thing! I know with both jobs I will have to sacrifice some time with my kids, I am just not sure which direction is better!! My ultimate goal is to be happy, spend as much time as a family as possible, and make enough money to be comfortable! :)....The positive side of nursing is I could have days off during the week and be able to volunteer and kids schools????? i am terrible at making this decision!! :) :)

13. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Feb 12, 2010

Your response is making me think that school nurse would be good for you! If you were already a CNA how many more classes would you need to be an RN....also can you go on the the school nurse sub list in your area (as a cna)...I know around here they are in demand and get between $120 and $200- a day as a sub nurse