Hello Second Grade!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Miss Kirby, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 26, 2008

YAY! I just found out I'll be joining second grade next year. Excited!!! So I will be spending lots of time here seeking ideas. I taught second grade for half of a year, but it was my first year and the whole time I was basically in survival mode!! So my first grade experience will definitely set the tone for next year - I will just need to set things at a higher level for the second graders. So anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I can't wait until next year!!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2008

MissKirby, you will love 2nd grade! I taught it last year, and loved it. They are a little bit more independent and can do a lot more. Have fun and enjoy!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 26, 2008

Great news, Miss Kirby. Congratulations.

5. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Feb 26, 2008

second grade

You will love second grade. I'm so happy for you.

6. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Feb 26, 2008

welcome to second grade miss kirby!

7. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Feb 27, 2008

Congrats!

8. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Feb 29, 2008

Congratulations!!!

9. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Mar 14, 2008

Are you looping up with your class?

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 14, 2008

I don't know yet. If I do I won't be able to take ALL kids with me. But honestly after the past few weeks (or year?) I don't think I want to loop with them! :\

11. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Mar 14, 2008

I agree... I looped with my students last year and lately I have been thinking what was I on ...:dunno: when I made that decision:eek:.

12. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

I looped with my kids this year. It was great, but because of re-districting I lost about 8. It helped having a group of kids I had last year, but adding to the group so it was something new.

13. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Mar 15, 2008

I love second grade. I did teacher 1st grade and would do that again if needed. However, my second graders are full of soooooo much information and they are a great group of kids.

Good luck in 2nd grade next year, Miss Kirby!!!

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 19, 2008

I need to decide if I want to loop after this week. EEK! If you looped, what were some of the deciding factors?

15. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Mar 19, 2008

A good thing about looping is you already know where your kids are what their issues so you gain back the months that you spend figuring them out. I've done a 1,2,3 loop and then 2,3 and currently in 2 hoping to loop to 3 with them. I love it but there are days where I don't but that is normal with or without the looping.

16. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 19, 2008

I would be interested in knowing more about experiences in the practice of looping. What has it been like? Also, would like to know if it's common in TX.

17. Cindy#1

Cindy#1 New Member

Mar 22, 2008

I have taught kindergarten and fourth grade but have just been told that I will be teaching second grade next year in a new school. I will be looking for good ideas to get me off to a smooth start...

18. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 23, 2008

I'm pretty sure I will have second grade next year too. It will be the youngest I have taught! I'm going to need lots of ideas as well.

19. mrsmoore

mrsmoore Rookie

Mar 23, 2008

I think the biggest positive is that you can start right away academically and socially. My students came in the first day and knew EXACTLY what to expect. I had a few new students, but they just picked up on what the others were doing. I think the progress I have seen this year makes all the difference. I had a very academically low class in second grade and I have really seen huge gains this year in third. (It gives me hope for next year when I have to start all over!)

We have a policy where students, parents, or teachers may opt out of the looping, but we have not had that so far. I have a few students that are challenging (behavior, special education, etc.) but you will always have those challenges in any classroom. You also learn how to deal more effectively with those challenges!

Looping can be more challenging for the teacher because you have to learn two curriculums, but I think it is worth it in the end. There were certainly no beginning of the year jitters!

20. Ms. TeachAZ

Ms. TeachAZ New Member

Mar 25, 2008

Congrats! I too will be moving to 2nd grade next year from High School special ed.!!!!

21. Miligirl7

Miligirl7 Rookie

Mar 29, 2008

Congrats! You will love it.. 2nd grade is so much fun!

22. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Mar 29, 2008

2nd grade is a blast!

With looping you'll have to consider you're class. Do you think they will do well with you for another year. Some students just are not cut out to be with other students (you know?). When we have classrooms that loop, the principal, teacher, and counselors meet over and discuss possiblilities. Then parents are given a decision whether they want their child to loop or not. Eventually there will be some new students added in to the classroom.
    The great thing about looping is that you know where a lot of your kids are already. You don't have to spend tons of time teaching procedures at the beginning of the year. Yes, you'll review them but you're students will (for the most part) be comfortable with them already.

23. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 29, 2008

I decided I'm not going to loop with this bunch!!! Last week... Oh brother!!! :(

24. KinGeorgia

KinGeorgia Rookie

Apr 3, 2008

I too just found out I will be teaching 2nd grade next year! I currently teach K and am VERY nervous/sad about moving up! Maybe we can help each other!

25. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 27, 2008

Taught fifth grade for half a life-time and moved to second. It was a great move.