Hello everyone

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Elm512, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 5, 2006

Hello everyone,
    My name is Caitlin and I was hoping to ask you all a few questions. My dream is to be a teacher, and it is finally possible for me to start school. My husband is in the Airforce (we are stationed in Japan) and we are going to be in one place long enough now for me to get at least 3 years of schooling done. I plan on finishing the last year when we return to the states in 2009. I have always wanted to teach younger kids, Kinder. through 2nd or 3rd grade. Currently, the only education degree plan available on island is a bachelors in early childhood education. My school counselor assured me that with this degree I will be qualified to teach children from pre/k-grade 3. I have done some research online and it seems like this is not the most desired degree and it's harder to get a job w/ it then a bach. in elementary education. If anyone has ANY info/comments, anything, on this matter, I would LOVE to hear it! Thank you for reading this far, and any help!!:thanks: :D

** Im not sure exactly where to post this so Im also posting it in elementary education

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2006

Welcome! Every state has its own certification requirements. Do you have any idea where you will be after 3 years?
    In my area it is much harder to find a job in early elementary than upper grades.
    Good luck with your studies!

4. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Aug 5, 2006

Hello!
    I can relate to trying to pursue a degree while being a military spouse. It is very difficult moving and going to school. I ended up having four different transcripts in a very short time. Often times, you have to take just a class here and there.Have you thought about getting a dual certification? You could go ahead and pursue the early childhood degree and then when you come back to the states and pursue the other classes. In some schools here, you only need a "few" classes to get the add on certification. I wish I would have went ahead and took the four classes to pursue my early childhood degree. I would say often times it depends on the area you move to if they need teachers in certain disciplines. Here there is a need for all teachers! If you are a military family like we were, who knows where you will end up. I would have never thought we would end up in SC~and here we are!I want to say also, it depends on the state what early childhood consists of. Here you would be qualified to teach prek-2. Good luck with your degree whatever you decide.