Hello, Can anyone give me advice on organizing paper.

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MrsM1, Sep 24, 2006.

1. MrsM1

MrsM1 Rookie

Sep 24, 2006

I am a new teacher! I need help in organization, I can't seem to get rid of all that paper clutter. How do I make sure I don't end up with piles and piles of paper every week?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    MrsM1:confused:

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 24, 2006

What type of paper? Are you talking about student work? What grade are you teaching?
    I am also a first year teacher. I am using for my "little" kids room a file box. Each student has a hanging file folder and in it I have a folder for each subject.
    For the older children I try to grade papers and hand them back right away.

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 24, 2006

Welcome to A to Z Teacher Stuff! :cool:

Have you tried using different colored folders, file folders anf ile folder holders, etc...? Good luck trying to get organized!

I subbed for one junior high teacher once who had trays labelled for each grade and period where her students would put their homework as they walked into class. She also had 3 trays labelled 6th, 7th, and 8th grade where she'd put extra copies of worksheets.

Another junior high teacher had several lagre boxes with 3 rows and 6 colums of smaller boxes inside. She gave the students a box, made them label it with their name, and designated that as their student mailbox. Notes from parents and letters from the teacher almost always got put in the mailboxes. This way, important stuff reached the teacher and vise versa.

5. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 24, 2006

Great Idea JaimeMarie! Having the kids own folders can save alot of time and energy. I also had a teacher I was helping with once. She had a cube cabinet where she had the kids names labeled and she stored papers there till folder day and took the papers and placed them in evelopes for take home day. It to me was easy to file because names where visible and easy to access. And the extra work we checked and passed back as soon as we could. The children had personal folders fpr personal information such as doctors parents numbers etc. But, I think the folder idea is great.

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 24, 2006

I have crates that you can get from Walmart or one of those types of stores. I put hanging folders in them and put all of the papers I have copied for our math and reading curriculums for the year. They are easily accessible when it comes time to use them. I also have a drawer that I put papers that I will be using for the week...again, in hanging folders. When I am ready to use them, I just open the drawer, go to the date, and there they are. Hanging folders are a teacher's best friend (one of).

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 25, 2006

Hi, MrsM1. I'm going to move your post to the general ed area where you should get more responses.
    I have a literature box that has 36 slots, each child has one, that's where I put papers after they are graded and are waiting for the signed folder to go home. Once the papers are signed, the kids file them in a hanging folder with their name on it (in a milk crate next to my desk). I have a pocket folder for each of my classes (3 science classes and the rest homeroom) where I put papers that are waiting to be graded. I use some of the slots in the literature box for me, one is memos, one is notes from parents, etc. I try and have somewhere designated for each piece of paper I get, otherwise, I know me, it would be piled on the corner forever!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 25, 2006

I use tons of those stacked letter trays. 1 for graded papers, homework/finished things that havent been graded, one for each subject (to hold copied papers that will be passed out later or craft ideas, etc (temp stuff)), one for assessment/portfolio stuff to be filed later, absent folder tray, blank independent reading papers, etc.

I like having things in easy reach.

9. mviera

mviera Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

Mrs MI,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of never ending paperwork.Hope any of this helps you!
    I use a three tiered cart with wheels and would have helpers collect work once done. It was then separated for grading . I number my students . Once filing needed to get done, I would pass out graded papers they would sort into piles and then I would call them numerically and they would file. good luck.

10. cher

cher Rookie

Sep 25, 2006

Here is a suggrestion-if you have a teacher mailbox throw out or recycle the garbage the same day or that will become a nightmare.
    Have fun!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2006

For all of the papers that show up in your mailbox every day...deal with anything that needs a quick response right away, try not to even have that piece of paper leave the mailroom. I have a bulletin board near my desk to post workshop information and things "to do" that require a bit more time. I have an agenda like the students' and keep it on my desk by my daybook. I record dates in it immediately, and then discard the papers. :)o I also, here's where everyone will learn that I am really disorganized by nature, have a stack of papers on my desk that I need to "get to" very soon, but haven't gotten around to yet!:eek: )

12. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 25, 2006

I was fortunate enough to inherit a literature organizer that I keep behind my desk. I have the rows labeled Mon-Friday and the "next week." The columns are organized by subject (math, lang.arts, etc.). We share plans and copying, so I put all my copies for each day's subject in the bin and pull them out when I need them.

HOWEVER..............................I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the papers that accumulate from homework, etc. I think I need to throw out what I know I don't need.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

I have a clear letter tray for each class, and that's where they turn in all their work. When I take them out to grade, I put them in a accordion folder. The folder has a section for each class, one that says, "To Do", and another that says "To File". I have a black letter tray for each class where I put their work after I grade it and it's ready to be handed back.

Because I use writing workshop and kids are turning in writings at different times, I have a clear plastic envelope for each class, and I tape a roster to the back. When they turn in the work, they highlight their name.

When students are absent or have missing work, I tape their notice/worksheet to my missing work wall and they pick them up there.

For my paperwork, I have matchiing folders and spiral notebooks. For instance, I have a green notebook and a green folder that I take to all my team meetings. I have yellow ones for all department-related items, red for all discipline/parent contacts, and blue for everything else.

I have a set of six plastic file drawer behind my desk, and one of those is labeled "to file". That's where I put papers that need to be put somewhere, but just haven't gotten there yet. There's also another one labeled "currently using" which is where I have all the things we're using at the time.

14. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Sep 26, 2006

For mail - do immediately. Circualar file most (aka garbage can)
    Student work - trays to turn it. I grade each night ( about 130 papers) Return the next day. They keep it in a binder.
    Class - color coded folders for me
    Lessons - color coded boxes
    Attendance/ tardies - stapled papers in a blue folder
    Discipline - red folder
    Kid Design folder - Other meetings

I labed everything with stickers or labels with tape. This helps me. About once every two weeks I take 20 min. of class time and reorganize the students and give them their grades.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2006

I use the colored folders for each child. Those are stored under my desk in a box,easy to get at. Behind my desk I have hanging files for lesson plans and there is room for extra folders as needed. On top of my desk I have a wire basket for daily work and I usually empty the clutter from that daily. Medical papers are in a special folder attached to my attendance chart that hangs on the wall next to my desk. All other books that I need for planning are in my file cabinet drawers. Each night before leaving, I put out my next days lesson plans and I have a tablet on top for things to do for that day.

16. irisheyes

irisheyes Rookie

Sep 27, 2006

I concur with all the teachers who have written a reply.

I just wanted to add that I use an accordian file (color: offwhite, but with a red fold-over top) for tests to be given out.

Graded tests are also in a bigger accordian file to be passed back to students.

I also use a 1/2" to 1" binder for tests w/answer keys placed in sheet protectors. Tests are listed first by subject matter (tabs for easy spotting), then by unit coverage (ex. Of Mice and Men -subject; Chapter 1-quiz; Chapters 1-5 test, etc.-unit coverage). I also have an table of contents on first page(s) of binder to help get me to the page I need faster.

The binder is stored in a locked place, of course.

When I have a substitute and it's a test day, I bring out the test w/key and leave with the substitute information about the class taking the test.

17. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 5, 2006

I student taught in an Elementary and a Middle School this past spring. The 2nd grade teacher graded papers and put them in student folders at the end of each day. Then, on Friday, she sent the folders home to be signed and returned (parents kept the papers and returned the folders). The middle school teacher had one of those plastic shelf-stackers labeled with each period (first, second, etc.) where students turned in work. When she graded the papers she recorded the grades and then put the graded work in another stacker to be returned at the beginning of each class period. Some papers (along with works in progress) were kept in each student's portfolio. She had storage boxes from the dollar store with folders (portfolios) in them (each class had a different color box/folder). Both systems worked well!

Keep only what you need to, and send the rest home :D