Hello! and a question to all teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mom, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Mom

Mom New Member

Jun 4, 2009

Hello Teachers!

I wanted to find a forum online to ask you directly, and I was brought here.

We have just a few days left in school, and I would really like to get my son's teacher a gift to say THANK YOU for all she's done this year. She has been absolutely amazing, and I can't imagine how she finds all the patience and energy each day (it's kindergarten!).

I know teachers accumulate lots of bric-a-brac and assorted dust collectors. I do not want to do that to her. So, what would you appreciate getting? I want to be able to give her something from me and my son to let her genuinely know how great we think she is, and what an awesome job she's done this year.

3. MathNrd

MathNrd Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

Believe it or not just a sincere hand written card showing your appreciation means A LOT. It is sentimental trinkets like that that keep us going. There is no need to spend any money.

4. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Jun 4, 2009

But in case you're still bent on buying something, I always like getting gift cards! :) It's like two gifts for the price one. Money... and a reason to go shopping!

5. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2009

Welcome! Glad you joined us!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

I agree with gift cards - maybe from a book store, bath n body works, maybe from an education store, mall gift card, food gift card and the really nice note suggested by MathNrd :)

7. macteach

macteach Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

I agree with the former poster. I think a gift card is very nice.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

I agree with the written note and gift card idea. Those letters and cards really make you feel good. I hear every day from my kindergartners how much they love me, but for some reason hearing gratitude from parents (who are usually nervous to sent their child off to kindergarten) is really nice.

I received a gift card to a big teacher store in my area and I was SO pumped! It's my first year teaching so I spent thousands of dollars out-of-pocked. Things always come up where you need resources, certificates, materials, etc., and having that gift card on hand was amazing.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

First :welcome: to the site! I think a nice note with a gift card would be much appreciated.

10. Mom

Mom New Member

Jun 4, 2009

I often wondered if teachers wanted gift cards to teacher supply stores and such. I know you all pay a lot out of pocket for things (even with parent supply donations that we have at our school), so I wondered if it was better to get a gift card for something personal (like a restaurant or movies) or something functional like the supplies.

Thank you for all the responses, by the way!

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

I think it depends on the teacher, too. It's my first year, so I spend a lot of money. The other K teachers don't, but they have been teaching for 13 years, so they would probably prefer a personal gift card. Then there are people who have been teaching for years who still spend a lot out-of-pocket still.

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 4, 2009

A gift card for Walmart or Target can be used however the teacher wishes. She can use it on herself, or on school supplies.

I hesitate to give others restaurant gift cards, because I never know if they are on special diets, etc. My teammate got a restaurant gift card that she gave to her grown son because she is on a special diet and never eats out.

13. Irma

Irma Companion

Jun 4, 2009

I still treasure the one of a kind, personalized gifts I've received. This year, it was a book and each child had a page on which he/she wrote something they liked about me. In addition, I was also given gift cards to places they knew I went. One parent knew I loved puppets and gave me a few throughout the year that were specific to my interest at that time. Anything with a personal touch goes beyond and speaks more of your gratitude. For example, if you knew she could never find a pair of adult scissors, a great gift would be a special pair of scissors with her name attached to a chain she could keep at her desk- making it fun. You're wonderful to be so kind as to think of something extra special. Thank you for that.:hugs:

14. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Jun 4, 2009

What a kind question! Over 17 years of teaching, I still have personal notes of thanks from former students and parents. They truly mean a lot to me because they describe how I've affected someone's life. A personal note - definitely!

15. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 4, 2009

I love to get ANYTHING from my students and parents. It means SO much to know that you're appreciated.

And special hand-written note is very special. A gift card is great also. I agree with purchasing a teacher store gift card or a Wal-Mart/Target one. You know, they even have Visa gift cards too.

Welcome, Mom! :)

16. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Jun 4, 2009

The personal notes definitely mean the most to me. Every once in a while after a tough day (year) it's nice to pull those out and get the warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something right.

That being said, today I am wearing a bright silver Mickey Mouse charm on a long silver chain that one of my classes bought for me years ago. The kids secretly collected money and one student and his mother bought it for me at a jewelry store. When the students presented it to me, it was such a surprise and made me cry. They were such wonderful kids. The other wonderful thing about it, was that they gave it to me for no specific reason, just that they appreciated my teaching and time and they wanted to let me know. It definitely made me feel loved and appreciated.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 4, 2009

I think GCs (gift cards) are the best things to buy anybody, unless, you really know what a person wants. GCs to the following stores are a safe bet:

- a bookstore (B&N, Borders)

- Target or Walmart

- an office supply store (Staples, Officemax)

- Starbucks or other popular beverage place (Jamba Juice, Juice It Up)

- a local shopping mall where the person can use the card at any store in the place

18. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 4, 2009

I've taught over 20 years, and I have a special pocket folder for some notes from parents. I'm not sentimental, but these mean a lot to me. I'll pull them out once in awhile for a confidence boost.

Also, you can buy a VISA or MC or Amer. Ex. gift card. I'm not in favor of gift cards to Wal-mart. Too many people boycott it.

I also still have two gift cards given to me two years ago--one to a restaurant that went out of business and one to a movie theater that isn't anywhere around where I live. On the other hand, every time I see the two cards, I smile because I think of the two kids who gave them to me and how much I enjoyed teaching both of them.

19. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 4, 2009

Wow, you are a very thoughtful parent! Thank you for thinking of your child's teacher :)

Gift cards are usually welcome - one parent gave me one with a note that said I had to buy a book for myself.. for fun, not a teaching book. That was nice... The note is the best part, so like everyone said, that is worth a lot. If it's easy to do (like if you have a mac), why not make a 30 second video of your son telling the teacher what he loves about her, then you come on and add your two cents. Burn it on a CD or just out it on YouTube. That would be so great!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2009

If there's a Panera Bread near you, their gift cards are a good idea. You can get lunch for 2 for less than $20.

Dunkin Donuts is also a great idea. Even if you're like me and don't like coffee, there's always a party or BBQ over the summer, and that gift card can buy a box of munchkins.

A bouquet of flowers is always appreciated.

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

Yes, a heartfelt note of thanks and a giftcard to her favorite store or for a pedicure or some sort of pampering would be perfect. I love getting gift cards I CAN'T use on the classroom (clothing, coffee shop, theaters, etc.) They force me to take care of me rather than do teacher shopping!

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 4, 2009

This year one girl gave me a thank you note and a single rose. It was perfect.

23. touchinglives

touchinglives Companion

Jun 5, 2009

There is nothing like a personal note with a nice card. Of course, a gift card would be a welcomed and appreciated bonus - but the card will be treasured for years to come.

Parents like you are a blessing.

24. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

A bottle of wine is something I always find acceptible. Even better a bottle of scotch! Put it with a card containg a small photo of your son.

25. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2009

One of my parents gave me three roses with three nice balloons and I was totally appreciative of this gift. I also appreciate cards of appreciation. As I think about it, anything is appreciated because it really is the thought that counts.

26. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 5, 2009

I love the cards that have personal messages,I always save them! I work in a low income area so I know anything they give is a sacrifice and is appreciated greatly.

27. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

I also like a thank you note, but this year I received one thru an e-mail, that was forwarded to my principal. The note was very complimentary to me as to the great job I did teaching her child and it was nice that she sent a copy to my principal. I also have received gift cards and this year a parent wrote a nice note and enclosed $20 and said to buy myself a "decent" lunch. I thought that was pretty cool. We teachers appreciate a thoughtful parent like yourself.

28. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 6, 2009

I love the idea that your student's parent sent an e-mail to the principal too. So often they take s for granted and need to hear nice things about us!!

29. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

I like the personal letter of appreciation. My favorite gifts have been: a drawing of me and the child's family together, letters of appreciation, one year I was very short of white board markers and one of the boys got me a set of twelve different board markers (it was obvious he was noticing what I was in need of).

30. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jun 6, 2009

I love the heartfelt notes but gift cert. are great, too.
    Got a nice one this year but his comment was better,
    "you got me through math coach" I taught his 5th grade a few
    days of math before FCAT.

31. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 6, 2009

I love the handwritten notes. The gift certificates are wonderful and unexpected. One year, when I was teaching K a boy brought in his present for Christmas and was really proud of it. That particular year, before school started I decided not to buy a lunchbox. I decided using the bags they put your grocerys in at the grocery store would be economical, plus I'd be using them for a purpose before I sent them on to the landfill. I opened this kid's present and it was a brand new lunchbox. He very proudly announced, "I told my mother my teacher was so poor she couldn't even afford a lunchbox so I needed to get her one for Christmas." I proudly used that lunchbox for the rest of the year and never again went without buying myself a new lunchbox at the start of every school year. I know that child worried for the longest time about why I didn't have a lunchbox. Seriously though, any kind of gift, whether it is big or small is greatly appreciated.

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2009

dr. gator-what a cute story and how thoughtful of that student.

33. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2009

:p SPEAK 4 yourself!:D;)
    I bet the teacher would love a STEPPING STONE!!!
    This kid in our Class gave a gift that was a HEART shape for a STEPPING STONE; made out of Plaster of Paris. I guess while it was still wet, her and her Mom decorated it with glitter, those already cut out shapes and some other stuff. IT IS AN AWESOME GIFT! They bought the kit, (I didn't ask what store.) and then made it. IF you have time, THOSE ARE THE ONES THAT JUST MAKES YOU MELT! Something that they made time to make. I guess that would make me change my mind about MathNerd's post. The hand written card NOW MAKES A LOT OF SENSE. :D (SMILE MN! YOU'RE RIGHT!)
    The dust collectors are MEMORIES and they are the kind I don't mind.: :thumb:
    Good luck with what you decide to do.:cool:
    Rebel1

34. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 7, 2009

I know you don't have time for this, but one of the greatest gifts I ever got was an old kitchen towel that one of the girls used as backing to stitch all the kids' names and a message about how much they would miss me. I found a picture of the class and had the whole thing professionally framed. I still have it and will never get rid of it. I'd cry so hard if anything ever happened to it. She worked on it for 2 months!

35. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 7, 2009

That was going to be my answer with a letter. :)

36. Mom

Mom New Member

Jun 9, 2009

I appreciate all the wonderful suggestions and stories. I just found out that my son's teacher will be working at a different school in the school district (full time) and it will be a higher grade level, so I think I'm going to go with a gift cert after all. I went to my favorite "unique gifts" store, but nothing seemed quite right.

My son made a card and envelope for her, and I will give her a separate card and a gift cert to a local outdoor mall. It contains everything from fine and casual dining to various clothing stores and even a Whole Foods, so I hope she will be able to use it in some fashion for herself and her husband.

Thank you, everyone!