Hello all, I need help

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Stark Reality, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Stark Reality

Stark Reality Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

My name is Kevin and I am pursuing my Masters in Special Education. My grades are good but I suddenly find myself in a hole that I need help getting out of. I am in the Ohio National Guard and left June 12 for Border Patrol in New Mexico. I was supposed to be for six weeks, but I was extended over and over and Iraq may be looming in my near future. Anyway, my class continued with a deadling to catch up once I returned home. I am almost there, but am having trouble with several questions. If anyone can help, I would be grateful. The questions are:
    1. Identify theories and strategies that will improve quality learning for students with disabilities. How does the theory, strategy, and modality make a difference in a student's learning?
    2. Compare the avantages and disadvantages of traditional and non-traditional learning environments for students with disabilities.
    3. What is the relationship of the NBPTS to learning theories and educational environments? :thanks: :D

3. NELNaples

NELNaples Rookie

Oct 7, 2006

Question

Can they extend the class for you? Also, have you thought about attending school online? I do that and I am in Florida! However, having gotten my first job (Kindergarten) it is very helpful.

Also, try searching the internet. Just take out the words you don't need - so it would look like - theories and strategies for students with disabilities - or something like that.

I am sorry I can't be more help. I am still trying to get my lesson plans in order!

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 8, 2006

I think for that first question, I would discuss Howard Gardner's Theory of multiple Intelligences. This particular theory says that there are several, domains, if you will, or intelligences that people have. Those intelligences are strengths. There are seven intelligences in all, and I can't remember them all off the top of my head, but one visual/spatial intelligence, another is body/kinesthetic intelligence, and yet another is mathematical/logical intelligence. Summing it up pretty much is that if you teach your student according to their particular intelligence, They will learn subject matter easier and be more successful in school. It is just like teaching to their learning style if it helps to think of it that way. I have designed work where students choose 1 of 3 learning stations to complete a task...The learning stations are based on the 3 of the multiple intelligences...Students usually pick one that suits them the most...I have noticed that the quality of work and retention also increases when I do this...They get to choose something based on how they learn, and they don't even realize it.

I think an advantage to a non-traditional learning environment is that student instruction can be more individualized to meet their learning need. A disadvantage is that they become used to things being done to individiualize, but what happens when they move back into a more traditional environment? They are not prepared for the fact that they have to conform to the norm. And, in the real world we do conform to certain sets of standards and expectations.

Hope this helps to get some ideas flowing...

5. Stark Reality

Stark Reality Rookie

Oct 8, 2006

Emily, thank-you very much. I REALLY appreciate it. Like I said, I am slowly catching up, but the Army had me thrown for a loop there for awhile. I hope I can help you out along the way.....kevin