HELLLPPPP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by amy1012, Mar 17, 2009.

1. amy1012

amy1012 Rookie

Mar 17, 2009

I am a 6th grade language arts teacher and am getting observed for my final time. This lesson has to be very creative as it could make or break whether my principal wants to rehire me. He has some concerns I am not creative enough. I really NEED a HANDS on lesson (on any topic in language arts) that is very creative and kinesthetic!

Ide love any suggestions!

Thank you so much!
    Amy

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 17, 2009

4. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 17, 2009

Commercials and persuasive writing...
    or directions and board games....
    or blind folding someone and having them follow directions around the room...
    kids write down how to tie their shoe (without looking at the shoe) and someone else has to follow them but can only do what is written down.

5. amy1012

amy1012 Rookie

Mar 18, 2009

I am thinking something maybe where I dont have to use any paper during the lesson. That may be a bit tricky though......something on directions could be good or even persuasive writing.

Thanks to those who have posted responses so far :)

6. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 18, 2009

If you can, use computers and teach them also how to format properly... Mine are terrible with being able to consistently format a paper.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2009

Amy - what are they working on now? Any interesting books?

8. amy1012

amy1012 Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

We are working on S. American country brochures. standard reading curriculum. and lang. arts curriculum

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

the SA brochures would be a great way to teach persuasive writing... we're doing concert commercials...

Standard reading/LA curriculum changes by state/district.... we work on expository writing and how to understand/write it, draw conclusions, make inferences, visualize -- but my kids REALLY need help with basic grammar -- I try to work in both but I would rather them be able to write a coherent sentence.

10. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

Brochures... this sounds like aproject I do with my summer school students.

I teach keyboarding and Computer Applications to 4-8th graders in the summer. I start the project/lesson like this. I want you to imagine that it's ten years in the future, and you have landed a job at the finest advertising agency in town. So you are sitting at you new desk...and in the door walks your first client.

WOW! Of all the luck! This person is from your favorite vacation spot of your youth (for the summer we play it easy-for YOU it's South America). They tell you that they want your company to design and produce a brochure entitled _____________: The greatest vacation spot on Earth!!!

Now... it's your job to gather the photos and the information to sell vacation-goers to choose _____ as the place to spend their vacation dollars. What would you say? What would persuade YOU and YOUR Family?

They work for a while - can you do this in the school's computer lab? Oooooooo. Then after a while you get their attention and say... "Hey, your client just called! He wants you to mention (I say the closet beach, and look up the transportation opinions to get there, or that there will be a national festival- and he wants you to mention the foods, sights, dances, and entertainment that one might find there.)

Even later I stage a visit from the client... me... and I go over their presentation... (liek conferencing with young authors)... too much white space, not enough information, doing well-but I think we need a good ENDING slogan that will wrap the entire thing up, etc.)

The kids love it! It's EASY to differentiate (what do YOU the client ask each student for?). And the finished products look INCREDIBLE!!! (Even if they only pull pics from the web and do the rest of it freehand on construction paper.

--

You can change this to deal with History (a historical tour, like those ghost tours that tell stories about different locations), Economics (advertising a resort community, or a market place). The possibilities are limitless.

11. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Mar 20, 2009

McKennaL: WOW! I'm gonna do that as soon as I get the opportunity! Sounds like so much fun! :)