Heinemann Units of Study for Reading

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherguy111, Jan 29, 2016.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Jan 29, 2016

Does anyone use this? I am in 4th grade la. We already have a strong program for writing. We are previewing this and I think it would be helpful for me because it will give me an overall structure to my units. What are your thoughts if you have used it?

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jan 30, 2016

We have the TC Units for reading and writing. I find them ok. Not all the lessons are great and I find myself cutting out a lot of what's in the lessons. But overall I'd say it's not a terrible program. We also have a staff developer from TC that works with us and I go to workshops at TC so that helps a lot.

The reading units are new this year so we are still getting a feel for them. But I will say they are much better than what they had before.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 2, 2016

Do you use their suggested read alouds?

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 13, 2016

Yes, I have for all the units thus year. It's just easier to follow if you do.

6. OUOhYeah

OUOhYeah Comrade

Feb 14, 2016

I am getting this tomorrow to preview, I am wondering how I could start it mid year?

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 18, 2016

I do not have the read aloud books yet but I think my school will buy them before I start using it next year. We are also working on aligning it with social studies so that the american history reading unit goes along with the social studies unit. I am actually pretty excited about using this next year. It will give me some more structure to follow and I will not have to find read alouds that match with certain skills well.

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 19, 2016

I will tell you now you need to start The American Revolution in SS at least 2 weeks before the reading and writing units. It was hard for my kids to write or even plan about something they didn't know much about. It was a real struggle.