hehehehe...mind games during an interview.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Jul 31, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

Maybe it's my A.D.D. (which I DON'T admit to during the interviews)...

but do you ever find yourself (after answering a question...and while they are reading the next question) thinking....

"wow. good job. that was a GREAT answer :cool:.... oh MY GOSH! :eek: They're in the middle of the NEXT question...PAY ATTENTION!!! :confused:"

or

"uh-huh, uh-huh I'm following your question. uh-huh :|...oooo I LIKE her hair cut/necklace/knick-knack on that shelf! :haha: ...no! pay attention!! :naughty:"

or

"I SWEAR that's a toupee! :whistle: Gosh, and he THINKS he looks good in that. :toofunny: No, shut up...pay ATTENTION! ;)"

I'm just wondering if OTHERS' minds race and bounce around like mine at times:dizzy:...or are you folks right with them on every word :angel:?

3. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Yes, it's bad. I went on an interview a couple of weeks ago and the lady kept yapping about the school and the program and I tuned her out. I have ADD.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2009

I don't mean to zone out.... but I do that too!! All the time, in fact.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2009

Yeah, the questions are all the same sometimes, so that's understandable!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 31, 2009

Absolutely.... Glad I am not alone.

7. Zanity

Zanity Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

I have a really hard time trying to focus on the person talking and smile at the same time and I am woried about what everyone else is writing lol.

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

Yep I do the same and while I'm actually answering I think to myself go back to whatever and make sure you explain such and such. If they realized that I could multi-task mentally like that they'd hire me! LOL!

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

I get distracted by shiny jewelry. "SHINY!!!!! Ooh... wonder where she got that? Gah... what was the question?"

New acronyms: "GDMJK? What does that mean? Crap... I don't know what that means! Why is she staring at me? Oh. Right. Answer. Er..."

Inappropriate dress by interviewers: "Either those are fake or it's the best push-up bra I've ever seen. Where did she get it? I need one. How can I work this in... why is she staring at me? CRAP."

When they drone on and on and on about how wonderful the school is... running mind commentary on just how much is BS and can I spot the holes? Do they *really* enforce the rules? What would happen if a kid pulled a knife on me? What about if a kid threw their book at me? Do I *really* think she'd come running in those 4 inch stilettos? And... oops, she still talking. PAY ATTENTION.

10. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Absolutely!!! :D

At my last interview on Monday, I kept thinking if you're a PhD, I'm the Wizard of OZ.....for several reasons...one of which was they advertised for a job that didn't exist.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

Coming from someone who has served on hiring committees: they are thinking the same things about you!!:D

12. Jaz

Jaz Rookie

Jul 31, 2009

Bright shiny things always distract! Makes me sympathize with my son who is definintely ADD.

13. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I can only imagine :D

14. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

My favorite is when they won't stop talking about themselves...

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 31, 2009

McKenna,
    I once went to an interview where one of the interviewers was a fan of "Stress interviewing." If you've never been to a stress interview (they are very big certain industries but NOT --thankfully-- in education.) A stress interview is when the interviewer puts each candidate totally on the spot multiple times, to see how they handle it. It is used for jobs where a person will be in stressful situations like this. You do not know this going it. THe stress factor is demonstrated in a few ways -- such as explaining that you will only be considering candidates with expereince with XYZ, and then asking the candidate to talk about their experience with XYZ. Unbeknown to the candidate XYZ doesn't exist and is totally made up. No one has experience in it. THe interviewer is looking to see if you bluff, admit your lack of experience and crumble, find a way to express no experience but still put a good spin on it, etc. Each response could be the correct one, depending on the position (ie a used car salesman who could bluff convincingly would get bonus points -- but a person in the fiscal world would need to respond in a totally upright manner. A person for a marketing position would need to be able to put a positive spin on it.)

Then it gets fun. During a stress interview, one of the interviewers plays the "bad cop" role and actually starts hounding you about your answers. "You say you had good classroom managment while student teaching -- but that is just student teaching. Weren't you just following the plan already in place by the cooperating teacher?" "You say your student's scores increased 20% because you implemented writer's workshop. Where did you get those spefici figures? How did you measure their growth?" (and then poke holes in your data gathering methods.) Their goal is to see how you react to incredible stress. Do you lose it and blow up? Do you shut down and cry? Do you get up in an outrage and leave? Do you stay calm and keep going? Are you flustered but able to continue?

Anway, I actually got that job after a stress interview. (They used that technique because the person who took this job had to be able to deal with angry, enraged sports league parents on the field..and they had to know you wouldn't turn violent or just curse the person out.)

But after that interview, my view of interviews (that's a mouthful) totally changed. I've always made it my goal when I'm interviewing people or on an interview committee to make each candidate feel completely at ease. If they leave out something important, I try to probe for more information to give them a chance to "remember it." I try to be the warm, smiling face that puts them at ease (even if they aren't giving the best answers.) I want them to put on their very best -- so if I see they got distracted during a question, I causually repeat or rephrase it. Even if they are the worst candidate we've seen, I give them all my positive energy and enthusiasm.

The only negative to doing this is that most every candidate comes away feeling so good that they are sure they got the job. Of course, we interview 8, so there will be 7 who are disappointed.

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

These responses are priceless!

Rain..

I've heard of stress interviews. I got a book-on-tape out of the library titled Nail the Interview. There wasn't much in the book that I haven't heard here...but the stress interview segment made me glad that i wasn't in a field that required it.

About the ...gotta get me a push-up bra. HAHAHHA

I had this interview last week... and the asst. principal was ...stunningly beautiful. Her hair...if she didn't JUST come from a salon and colorist... I'd be amazed. Her necklace was this odd...stark white and hot pink-like puca shell chocker...but against her exquisite tan.. MAN...she was..stunning.

Does it sound like I was hot for her? I'll tell you...I'm straight, and I was falling in love. HAHAHAHAHA

When I called her back to thank her for the interview-though I knew I didn't have the job--and did she have any suggestions about how to present myself as a better candidate for the next time... I tell you I WANTED to ask where she gets her hair done. (That place DESERVES whatever they charge.) But I thought it would come off.... too... slacker-ish. :p :rolleyes: :lol:

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

McKenna~you crack me up! But I do the same thing!!!!!!!!

18. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 31, 2009

I SWEAR...I couldn't think of how to phrase it that didn't sound like she was at a bar being picked up by a friend of her mom's.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2009

McKenna - I had an interview where there was literally 4 inches of cleavage right under her chin. I mean... even Newton would have been impressed by their ability to defy gravity. How could you NOT stare? And wonder? And wish?

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 31, 2009

I've missed many questions before simply because they go on and on and I can't remember the whole question, and then I loose it completely. I LOVE interviews where they hand you the written questions-if I SEE it, I understand soooo much more. Otherwise, I'm like a little bird-totally distract-able!