Heaven forbid a student give me a gift...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by SpecialPreskoo, Dec 10, 2011.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 10, 2011

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 10, 2011

That's crazy!

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2011

Geeze freaking Louise.

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 10, 2011

Unbelievable! I think the blog nicely sums up the issue!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

Oh brother.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 10, 2011

I wonder if that law includes the wonderful cards, pictures and notes my 5th graders love to give me that adorn the front of my heater....
    guess I am a hardened criminal! :)

8. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 10, 2011

Why are people determined to make teachers hate teaching? I'm not being silly or dramatic...

It is NOT about getting stuff, it's the gesture. Earlier this week one of my former students brought me a mug with a candy cane in it that probably came from the dollar store, but it meant so much that she was even thinking of her former teacher and that her parents appreciated what I did for her in first grade enough to purchase a gesture of appreciation for me.
    (OMG, I am actually tearing up a little)

In my county we are no longer allowed to celebrate birthdays because parents bring in cupcakes and cupcakes make kids obese.

Um...what about the cafeteria serving pizza and french fries twice a week and ice cream and Doritos daily? How is THAT okay, but not a monthly cupcake celebration?

Don't get me started on how art has been banned from my school and crayons are next...

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2011

Things of insignificant monetary value are okay...teacher mugs and homemade treats and such. :rolleyes:

10. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2011

Sometimes you have to think the lawmakers making policy
    for schools are EAT up with dum @$$

11. love2learn07

love2learn07 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011

That is absolutely crazy!! What next? I love this line: "116 million went into Lady Gaga's bank account last year because she sings songs and wears weird clothes." Lol!! Really interesting blog post.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2011

My district supe tried to put a $50 limit on gifts a few years ago. Parents ignore it...I don't ask the cost of gifts.:( the limit has never been discussed again.

13. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Dec 10, 2011

I don't get why they don't just fire all the teachers and replace them with robots. Seriously.

Teachers are being treated less and less like individuals, more like criminals with an agenda.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2011

A little more background information as to why they implemented this law. This whole thing just makes me pretty sick. :(

OBVIOUSLY, we are not in it for the money. We work very hard and do the best that we can with what we are given. Most of us work above and beyond our contracted duties and hours.

If some kiddos decide to bring in a gift as a thank you, whether it be a stuffed animal, drawing, book, gift card, etc., then how is that wrong? It's not a bribe. We are not playing favoritism. And we are not going to give that kid an A because he gave an awesome gift.

It reminds me of the law that they put in place where you are not allowed to put quarters in meters that ran out just to be nice. Just to help someone avoid getting a ticket. Yes, they made that illegal! It just doesn't make sense. But, apparently, it's because the city will get more money through tickets than meters. But the point is, these stupid laws are doing more harm than good.

ETA: If I had a kid in a school and I adored the teacher, then OF COURSE I want to show my gratitude. How DARE anyone tell me that as a parent, a taxpayer, as an upstanding citizen, I am not allowed to give someone a gift of thanks?

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2011

Just read that article. I kept reading the word ethics and by the end just wanted to scream. Of all the horribly unethical crap in the political world, they are concerned about a $25 gift card to Cracker Barrel? Really?!

While I have been that poor student unable to give my teacher a nice gift and was embarrassed because of it, which I have written about here before, I still remain frustrated by this absurd law and unnecessary intervention.

16. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2011

Ridiculous

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Dec 11, 2011

I want to know who is getting hams or turkeys as gifts! ;)

I don't know who these lawmakers think we are? Like I'm going to make a big deal out of the gift card Nancy gave me and shun Johnny because he didn't bring me anything. Everyone who gave me a good gift for the holidays you get extra recess this week. Good night!

It's unbelievable to me that someone would take the time to actually legislate this! And add penalties for the infraction to scare the teachers.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2011

I got lobster tails one year.;)

19. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 11, 2011

My husband had a parent who bought us a ham every year for six years...I miss that kid!

I had a mom last year that sent three different gift certificates for a pedicure throughout the year. She was wonderful, but her darling son was a toot!

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 11, 2011

You guys are giving me ideas!

21. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Dec 11, 2011

I read an article on the Huff post about this law just this last week. They law is very unspecific and confusing. You cannot take a gift of a turkey, but you can take a fruit basket? Why? Fruit baskets can be just as expensive if not more than a turkey. It seems like common sense has been completely thrown out the window over the last 10 years! So many laws, regulations, and rules written for educators by non-teachers. Many just don't make sense. I like to follow the rule book to a tee, but impossible rules are just that, impossible. The early childhood rules here in Georgia state that as a preschool teacher you are required to wash or have the students wash their hands before and after lunch, before and after recess, before and after snacks, after projects, anytime they have been at carpet time, anytime they move from one group to another (after each center), ect.... I added up the law for my classroom last year and we would have to legally wash the students hands at least 16 times a day! Times that by the number of children you have in class and what do you get? An impossible rule. Just one among many that made teaching extremely difficult for preschool. I felt like the rules impeded teaching at many levels. This latest law by the Alabama legislature is a real stab in the back for teachers that spend so much of their own money, time and energy on their students. Most gifts I have gotten go right back into the classroom. A gift card is usually spent for classroom items. Urgh.... I am ready to jump ship.

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 12, 2011

You should read some of her other blog posts. Jennifer is a hoot.

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 12, 2011

Well, we can thank 4 corrupt legislators and 2 lobbyist for this and Sen. Bryan Taylor for righting the law. It is for government workers and we, the poor teachers, are government workers. :/

24. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2011

I had a kid who's parents ran an off licence (that's a liquer store in the UK). Guess what I used to get every Christmas?:dizzy:

Over the years I have had the occassional bottle of booze, chocs, male perfumes and many, many neckties. My avatar is actually a photo that made the front page of a teaching newspaper in the UK when they ran an article on gifts teachers got at Christmas.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=2174272

Today I got a santa necktie from a student. I shall wear it tomorrow. The best gifts however have been a salt dough frog made by one student. Sadly it got wet when the window it was by leaked. Another is a set of santa table napkin holders which will take pride of place in the dining table on the 25th of this month. We also have rules about gifts (but not laws).

My wife worked for many years in a private school where she ran the kindergarden. On the last day before they broke for Christmas she would fill the trunk of her car and the back seat with her gifts. When she left the school she had to make 2 trips to get stuff home and her father brought his car as well and filled that! As the Kindergarden teacher she had taught every child in the school and everyone of them wanted to give her a gift!

25. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 12, 2011

Don't they have better things to be doing???

26. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Dec 12, 2011

So far I have received two gifts and they are from very challenging students. Most my students do not have much money. One was an apple, an orange, a few nuts, and a candy cane. The other gift has a pack of sticky notes, a set pf pencils, a red pen and 1 piece of chocolate. Most days these students wear my last nerves, but they (or their parents) cared enough about me to make me my own baskets. How can that be against a law?

27. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2011

It's fairly well-known that in a nearby district gifts have ranged up to thousand-dollar Gucci handbags and the like. The parents certainly aren't doing it just to be nice, but I have my doubts over whether it actually affects their child's school experience significantly.

I guess they're not interested in looking at enforcing or sharpening existing laws on the types of gifts politicians can accept.:p

ETA: Oh, and I'm guessing for the moment these laws probably affect public school teachers and not private school teachers -- but that this isn't really because they feel legally restricted from interfering with private business. Rather, it's likely because the politicians themselves send their kids to private school.

28. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Dec 12, 2011

So, if I understand correctly, politicians are policing teachers on proper ethics, and are attaching jail/fine slaps to the lecture? That is rich!!

29. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 12, 2011

Irony at it's richest indeed.

30. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 13, 2011

Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes... (that's one of my all time favorite movie lines. :lol:)

31. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 13, 2011

This could be the reason it was passed, particularly if people felt they had to keep up for various reasons or were trying to influence. I've never heard of that but all it takes is some abuse to rally the cry.

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2011

Sons...as you know, I'm in your vicinity. Many families in my district and in nearby towns are very well off. But I've never heard the ' well known' story of thousand dollar Guccis as gifts :eek:. I have been invited to 'knock off' parties however!:lol: I have gotten VERY NICE gifts from students and families. I can attest that I work with professionals for whom gifts do NOT affect students 'experience'. :unsure::wow:

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 13, 2011

A friend of mine who went to live in Monaco got a job at the International school there. She recieved one year a 1500 Euro bag in fact the child bought all of his female teachers the same bag. She took it back to the store and got credit then bought something she liked. After school the staff would sometimes sit at the side of the harbour for a coffee or glass of something stronger and students would send champagne over to their tables! Mind you when you dad is a Billionaire then a bottle of champers even at Monaco prices is less than the kids allowance! This was a school where if they went on a school trip the kids' bodyguards had to come along as well!

34. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2011

It could be apocryphal. Still, I know parents who are crazy enough to do something like that and I know parents who wouldn't blink at the cost. FWIW, I don't know any teachers I think could actually be swayed in any manner by such.

35. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2011

I feel very uncomfortable getting gifts from my students unless they are very inexpensive dollar store items or things I can use in the classroom.

I make more than most of their parents. Not a whole lot more, but still more.

36. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Dec 14, 2011

I work in a very high needs district so as far as gifts go I am lucky if I get a dollar store gift which is fine. Last year I was super happy that one of my kids just happened to buy me a Yankee Candle scent that I had been eyeing. Another boy got me just a little stuffed monkey sitting in a coffee cup which sits on my desk still even in my new school.

I'm not sure if I will even get any gifts this year since A) I'm in middle school and I feel like kids stop buying for their teachers at that point and B) I am one of 4 teachers for some kids. I'll be thankful if I even get a candy cane from any of my students.

As for teachers getting outrageously expensive gifts from students back in NY I've heard of teachers getting gift cards to Coach from students in more affluent areas. My Mom is a lunch monitor at an elementary school (also high needs area) and still comes home with more gifts than me from students!

37. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2011

One of my students spent his recess yesterday organizing all of the cords on my projector cart. He made a comment about my speakers (cheap ones, I know) and I said that I would have to put that on my Christmas list. He said, "Maybe that's what I should get you for Christmas." I hope he doesn't--I don't expect anything from my students and certainly not anything costly--but the thought made me smile!

38. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 14, 2011

Perhaps AtoZ should reconsider the ad they run at the top of the page. They could be cited for encouraging law breaking! LOL