Heartwarming

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ChristyF, Dec 21, 2007.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2007

I complain a fair amount about my school. There are many things that I would love to see change and many co-workers I am not close to. However, when we decide to pull together, we really can do good things. One of my friends who teaches 2nd grade at the school is going through some hard times. (Actually I have put her in our prayer request here a couple of times.) Her husband has not been able to work for about 2 months. He is a cabinet maker who does beautiful work. Even when he was staying busy money was tight for them. Because of illness and injuries he hasn't been busy in a while. Their daughter and her 4 year old little girl lives with them and her son has recently split from his wife and he and his son have spent some time with them as well. I haven't told much of what she has told me because she is a very private person, but word got out that they weren't expecting to have much of a Christmas because of all of this. (Her husband just left the hospital after being in for 5 or 6 days and is still going back daily for IV antibiotics.) Word spread quickly that everyone wanted to help. With specials and resource we have right at 25 teachers at our school (PreK to 5th) and about that many aides, staff, etc. Every gave and gave generously. We managed to raise $1,200 for her family (and many of us bought Christmas presents for her and her family as well.) After a couple of years of horrible morale it felt good to really pull together to help one of our own.

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2007

Wow, what a great staff.....

4. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2007

What a great story!

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 21, 2007

It's good to hear the staff came through when it really mattered.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2007

Wow, Christy, that coworker is very blessed to be working in your school.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 21, 2007

that is really great. I'm glad your school could do that.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2007

Isn't it great when you know that you are able to make a big difference? I always contribute to the food and toy drive at school at this time of year. The other day, one of our educational assistants came in and told us about 2 boys who are friends of her sons. They have gone through a lot lately, have no appropriate winter clothing and Christmas looked pretty bleak. We all went home and dug through winter jackets and boots our kids had outgrown and I went to buy some toys. She had tears in her eyes when I delivered the bags to her yesterday (mine were 2 of about 10 bags of things she took home). This is what the season is all about!

9. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 22, 2007

That is amazing. Not only with that family have a wonderful holiday because of you and your fellow staff, but the joy and generosity will more than likely last long beyond Christmas.

10. ~mrs.m~

~mrs.m~ Comrade

Dec 22, 2007

I know that gesture meant the world to them. Very nice...

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 22, 2007

It was really great to see our staff join up to help one of our own. She was emotional when she got the envelope and gifts and went around hugging each of us to thank us. The spirit of Christmas is still alive and kicking. :)