Heartsick over school vandalism

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by hillsidefogo, Jun 27, 2004.

1. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jun 27, 2004

Just finished the year on Friday. Today I went in to my classroom to feed the fish and the principal met me at the door. 3 of my five classroom window are shattered, shards of glass everywhere.

It's awful, my little library center, my circle area and my 'kitchen' area are covered with glass. apparently last night some cretins decided to break almost all the windows on the back of our school. Rocks the size of grapefruit and some as big as basketballs were thrown through double panes of glass with such force that shards of glass ended up 15 feet from the windows! They even broke most of the upstairs windows.

Our K room(mine), grade 1 grade 2, Primary L.C. room, grade 5, grade 6, art room and about 1/2 of our jr. high rooms and senior high science labs are covered with glass. Our staffroom is also covered with glass. It makes me soooo mad! All that damage just for a few thrills! The windows have gapping holes that wind and rain are coming through, it will be a while to get it all secured. The principal thinks most of my sponge chairs will have to be thrown out and it will take weeks to get all the glass out of our books, toys and games!

I'm in shock about this, the same creeps also wrecked windows on 3 businesses and stole beer from one. I know there is nothing you guys can do, I just needed to let out my despair; what a start to vacation!

Dawn

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 27, 2004

My jaw dropped as I read your post. I'm so sorry for your classroom. I hope they will be able to find the people who did that to your school.

Are your fish okay?

Ellen A.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 27, 2004

Sorry

Sorry..... What an overwhelming mess. Petunia in Kansas

5. saraskii

saraskii Rookie

Jun 27, 2004

I'm so sorry to hear about the vandalism to your school. I too know the pain and distress you are currently feeling. Last summer, two weeks into our vacation, a group of teenagers who were bored, decided to set our school on fire. Our three K/1 classrooms (mine included), office and library were ruined, with a good majority of the rooms being lost due to either fire, smoke or water damage. Good luck removing the glass from all of your materials. You're in my thoughts.

6. MJH

MJH Companion

Jun 27, 2004

Vandlaism

I too know the heartache of vandalism. Two years ago my classroom was broken into over the weekend and it was destroyed. They threw everything off the shelves and took the computers. I was not notified, I walked into my room to find it that way. School security didn't even inform my principal. My kids were heartbroken as well when they saw the room.

Just this past christmas our school was broken into three times over the holiday break. You would think that motion detectors and an alarm in the school would help but no, our board security is the worst. I wish we could go through the city police but we have to report to the school board security for everything. They are worried about bad press.

I guess the board finally decided to do something because now they are putting metal fencing over the lower windows and bought the school whal looks like prison doors. I bet those new doors really make the kids, parents, community and staff feel welcome.

7. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jun 28, 2004

YIKES!

I have had my classroom broken into THREE times because they learned what to come back for! They entered from a rotten wall in the bathroom (portable room) and the shotty repair job from the county allowed them to reenter thru the same hole!

The worst part of the violations was i felt so personally attacked since NO ONE else had their rooms ransacked or sprayed with fire extinguisher. The thing that hurt the most not only emotionally but damaging to the room was I had gone on a field trip with my class to Key Biscayne and we collected living specimens out from our local waters. We set a 20 gal tank up in our classroom of the salt water and its contents were from our field trip. These CRIMINALS broke into my room again and tried to LEAVE with the tank FILLED and got ONE step out the door where it was DROPPED on my ramp of the portable! They DUMPED the water in my room to be able to carry it and three days later the weekend was over and the room was only three quarters saturated but dried ocean water- the stench!
    I was devastated after the first robbery and every 'long' weekend I would round the school corner, hold my breath, to see if my portable had a gaping hole in it!
    your room is an extension of you and yet its all just things. some replacable and some are difficult to rid of because they have such fond memories.
    BTW- take a copy of your police report to WALMART see how they respond- they may offer to replace the chairs!

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 28, 2004

These stories are awful....its amazing the damage bored teens can cause. The program I work at is in an elementary school and we have our own intercom/buzzer outside of our door. Three times in the past year neighborhood kids have destroyed our intercom and once was just a few weeks ago and it hasnt been fixed yet so now our parents have to bang on the door (which is upstairs from our office) extremely hard to be able to come in and pick up their children...its terrible! I'm so sorry to hear about your classrooms, its just makes you wonder where the parents are sometimes, doesn't it?

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 28, 2004

It is so sad the damage kids (who most likely were students at the school as some point!) can do. We have had our school broken into several times. The worst that has happened to my room is candy/prizes taken. There has been signs several times that they have been around my animals (rats, fish, turtles, etc), but they've never actually done anything to the animals. Last year I went up to school with a friend (usually go alone). We got a paper she needed, walked down to the copy room, and even looked in a few classrooms. (She teaches at a school near here, but had never been to my school.) As we got up front the intercom was buzzing, when I picked it up, it was for one of the rooms we had just looked at. I was about to tell her that we must have hit the button when I heard the sound of voices over the intercom. We found out later that it was kids, but it scared us to death. I called the principal on my cell phone and we sat in the parking lot (with the engine running) until he showed up. Kids are just amazing with what they are willing to do. I hope that you are able to save most of the things in your room. I will keep you and your school in my prayers.

Christy

10. SusanBU

SusanBU Rookie

Jun 30, 2004

I just started my first yr of teaching...it was the weekend after my birthday. I get to school early, and my hallway is usually deserted. I walk into my room and I notice it looks different. Then it sinks in...1 of my windows was literally taken off its hinges, and the thieves had stolen my computer and tv. They took care not to mess anything up, but I was just devastated. The cops didn't do much about it. What makes it even worse, was that I had recently gotten a new student 2 weeks before. He lived with relatives who were involved in a gang. He was a problem child to say the least. Anyway, my students approached me and told me that he knew about the break in before he even got into our class. I told my principal and the cops talked to him, but could never prove anything. I believe deep down that he knew about it. He would smile and laugh about it, and seemed surprised that I still was able to teach that day ( I had a new computer an hr later.) I was so thankful that he eventually moved. But everytime there's a holiday, I make a special trip to drive past my school and make sure my windows are still intact. I also come in later so I won't be the only one in the hall. It's sad that we have to live like that, always on alert.

11. Busy Lady

Busy Lady Rookie

Jul 5, 2004

:eek: :eek: :eek: What are people thinking?!?!?! Usually once a year, we have some vandals that think that it's funny to break a few of our windows but we've been pretty lucky regarding actual theft.

I hope that you're summer vacation gets much better,
    Shannon :love:

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 7, 2004

I posted before about our intercom buzzer outside of our door being broken...Well, it was fixed last Thursday and when we came to work on Tuesday it had been melted, probably with a lighter or something. We were pretty upset, but tried it and even though the button was slightly warped it beeped so it was ok. Then today when got there it had been melted again, now beyond repair. It's really getting ridiculous. We're frustrtated with it and worst of all, parents are getting upset because many times we cannot hear them banging on the door trying to come in!

13. hillsidefogo

hillsidefogo Companion

Jul 8, 2004

Thanks so much to everyone who replied. My classroom now has some temporary windows and the janitors(bless them) have taken all my books, tubs of blocks and toys and tried to get all the glass out. I'll have to get in there in August and do a double check for glass splinters. Some of my dress-up clothes and chairs will probably have to be thrown out; I just can't take the chance of one of my students getting hurt.

Everything has been move to one side of my classroom so they can work on the windows. BUT, the window by my fish and plants was not broken so they are okay.

The 5 guys(all between 18-22) have been identified but I haven't heard of an arrest yet. The community was outraged and several people have asked if they could help.

It seems like a lot of you have had to deal with vandalism and theft. I find it so sad that people target a place for children.

Well on the vacation front all is going well now, I've been away for a little trip with my hubby(kids at my Moms) and now I'm getting my garden on the go. Camping and my 25 year(yikes!) high school reunion is coming up.

Take care and have a great summer,
    Dawn

14. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Jul 8, 2004

Teaching moment! Who were the original Vandals?

With that out of the way, vandalism is so annoying. Mindless destruction serving as mindless entertainment. What a waste. :(