Heartsick over computer crash

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nancyb, Aug 5, 2007.

1. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I spent countless hours on this and other sites, gathering ideas & neatly organizing them, only to have lost it all, including lesson plans, when my SC (Stupid Computer, as I affectionately call it) became ill & nearly expired. It's been repaired, and is in much better health than before, but SO much is lost:( A couple things I'd like to quickly gather again are ideas for math centers and science centers. Does anyone have a list of such stuff (if it's not too much trouble to share), and/or a list of links I could go to? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

3. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 5, 2007

I'm so sorry! It's really frustrating to lose all your hardwork like that! I can't help you with the resources, but I will recommend using a USB drive in the future. They're really stable, last a long time, can hold tons, and the best part is you can take it from computer to computer. Have a copy on your main computer too just to be safe. Good luck finding everything again!

4. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Thank you, I will certainly use a USB drive in the future. But what IS a USB drive? I am so technically unsavvy - which is how I got in this mess!

5. bdteach

bdteach Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Have you tried a program called search and recover? I've found lost files, including email, in the past... The only caveat is that if you've already reformatted your computer, you may not be able to find what you're looking for.

Might not be a bad idea to look into it, though. http://www.iolo.com/sr/4/

Good luck!

6. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Hi Nancy. I'm sorry about all the things that you lost on your computer. A USB drive, also called a memory stick, flash drive/stick, is just a small and removable plastic device that can hold tons and tons of information. You plug it into one of the ports on your computer, and in addition to saving the information on your hard drive, you also save it on your memory stick. That way, if your computer ever crashes again you don't have to worry because all of your information is also on your memory stick. You can get them almost anywhere and they are between 10-20 dollars.

7. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Aug 5, 2007

Ah yes, I have seen these. I'm thrilled they are so cheap. I'll be getting one today or tomorrow! Am I going to be confronted with a lot of options? Any buying advice?

8. kiraj

kiraj Companion

Aug 5, 2007

There are a lot of options! Unless you're going to be storing large music, picture or video files, you probably only need one of the 512 MB size. Don't pay too much for one, because when the're on sale you can practically get them for nothing. I saw that Office Depot has one for $10 right now. I wouldn't pay much more than that. Sometimes you can even get them completely free with rebates.

9. nancyb

nancyb Companion

Aug 5, 2007

thanks!