Heart Words- Sight Word Instruction

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Les, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Les

Les New Member

Oct 12, 2021

I am curious to learn more ways to make sight word instruction more effective. I have recently come across information about Heart Words and wonder if anyone has used this process with their students. If you have used it with your students did you find success with it? Below is a link to a YouTube video that does a good job explaining what Heart Words are and how they are taught.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:33 PM

We use heart words at my school. I think what really makes it work is the consistency across the entire school. Kids aren't learning a new thing every time they move up to a new grade level, kids aren't going to an intervention, EL, or sped group and learning something totally different, etc.

Before learning about this specific strategy/language, I would have some kids try to sound out irregular pattern words and get close enough to remember what the actual word was. I was always hesitant because I saw it sometimes working for them, but didn't want to encourage sounding out when some of the sounds don't "play fair." This strategy finally gave me some practical language to use with kids- by teaching them that they often only have to remember part of the word by heart, and they can use the sounds that play fair to help them too.