Hearing sounds

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by lw3teach, May 1, 2007.

1. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

May 1, 2007

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for this:

I have a student in my room who is consistantly only hearing the last sound in every word that they write.
    For example, if the word is "camp", he will say the whole word, but only remember the /p/.

He is writing right now with random letters. I think that this is his comfort zone.
    However, when I sit with him, he will hear the sounds, if I say the word super slow.
    For "camp", I will slowly sound each sound. He will still say he hears the /p/, but then I will say, "Listen, /c/ /a/ /m/ /p/. Then he finally will hear the first sound.
    I have tried elkonin boxes, but this doesn't help him in his everyday writing.
    Does anyone have any suggestions, or have you seen this before?

Thanks!

3. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

May 4, 2007

I've seen this in my students in various forms during assessments. The students either only hear the first sound or last sound. Their short term memories can't hold htat much information, and so they are dropping the first sounds. They only remember the most recent thing they've heard. One activity that has helped them improve is to segement but to give them manipulatives to work with. We use cubes with a strip of paper (I didn't have cubes first, so I used pennies. If they did a good job, they got to keep them.). Start with words with three phonemes. The student lines up the cubes on their strip of paper. They slide one cube with each sound of the word. It is really hard for them the first few times. I modeled it on the board using a strip of paper and magnets. Then, I let them do it. They really love it. I tell them to line up their cubes on their paper strip and to put their sliding finger up in the air when they are ready. I say the word first, then they repeat after me. I tell them, "Slide" and we start sounding out the words together, sliding the pieces OFF THE PAPER (the paper strip really helps). I have them quickly place the cubes back on their strips quickly, and we do the same word again. We do about 4 words a time. I started doing this about 3 times a week about 3 weeks ago. My students are making progress (I just tested them today). Our assessments are not like the one you listed above. What happens if you say, "tell me the first sound you hear in camp." Can he tell you /c/?

Oh, when I sound out words, I hold up a finger with each sound. I ask them how many sounds are in that word. I do it when I write in a whole group setting on flip chart paper. I noticed that when some students write, they copy me! They put their pencil down, sound out the word and hold up a finger for each sound, then they pick up the pencil to write down the letter. I see progress in their reading and writing, which is great. As they get faster, I'm hoping they will drop the whole finger thing. I hope!

4. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

May 6, 2007

SueHue's idea is a great one. To take that a step farther, you can have students work on writing the words while still using the Elconin Boxes. Set up a worksheet of sorts with pictures for 3 letter words (cat dog etc) with 3 boxes under each. Ask students to write the letters in each corresponding box under the picture. They work on listening for all 3 sounds then. :)

5. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

May 7, 2007

What are Elconin boxes? I've never heard of them.

6. hyperangel

hyperangel Rookie

7. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

May 10, 2007

Thank you. I've seen things kind of like that before-never knew they had a name though!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 10, 2007

I've used toobaloos with some of my students who are struggling "hearing" all of the sounds. Check them out. I didn't buy them through that sight though. It may have been reallygoodstuff.com, but I don't remember.

9. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

May 10, 2007

Those are cute... I use them, but I just bought pvc joints from Home Depot! They do work well for the ability to hear themselves. I will try them with my kiddo!

10. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

May 18, 2007

I have a student with similar problems with both reading and writing. She has the same problem reading 3 letter words. By the time she has sounded out the third sound, she has forgotten the first. When writing she doesn't hear the sounds herself, only when someone helps her stretch the words so she can write one letter at a time. I am having her work with rhyming families and phonemic awareness activities. I appreciate the other suggestions to try with her as well.